What's new
What's new

Normal Tram Difference From Left to Right Side of Table

arj3090

Plastic
I am trying to tram my CNC mill table because when I face mill front to back, I get a small step in the part where the face mill passes overlap. So I checked the tram of the table. At the center of the table it is within 0.0002". I then checked the left side and then checked the right. There is a left side vs. right side of table tram difference of 0.002" across using a 5" diameter tram check. It appears to be slop in the bearings when the table weight shifts.

What difference in tram do others typically see if you tram far left of table vs. far right? Do my bearings need replaced?

Make sure your feet are on the floor good. You can adjust that by loading the feet. Have someone adjust while you watch the indicator
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

About a year ago we had a Haas service tech in to level and check the machine for twist. Since then nothing has been moved or re-adjusted. I checked the feet just to make sure nothing was loose.

I did put the precision level on the machine and can see the level of the table does shift as the table is moved in the X direction. I checked the left to right leveling while moving in the Y direction and it stays level throughout the full Y axis travel.

This is a Haas TM-2.

About a year ago we had a Haas service tech in to level and check the machine for twist. Since then nothing has been moved or re-adjusted. I checked the feet just to make sure nothing was loose.

I did put the precision level on the machine and can see the level of the table does shift as the table is moved in the X direction. I checked the left to right leveling while moving in the Y direction and it stays level throughout the full Y axis travel.

This is a Haas TM-2.

I’ve seen on lighter smaller machines that the weight of the table off to one side will cause it to twist. .002” is not bad I’ve seen worse. Solution is to just do your work in the middle of the machine or get a beefier machine

I can see this being a light machine twisting thing.
I’ve owned a Tm-2 and it’s a long table for a narrow casting holding it.
Look at the vf series in comparison.
The y rail/casting is wider and the table is supported it’s full x travel by a large cast carriage the rails are mounted to. Where the Tm is only supported by that x/y carriage plate)
Also a tm only had 4 feet. The vf’s have 6, the middle ones really help support/adjust for twist

Any Tm-3 owners that can speak on this? That one has a huge table vs it’s column casting. It must twist at full x extension.

Where possible try sticking to the middle of the table if possible.
That being said I loved my tm machines. They where great. Proffered the Tm-1 as I found it more ridged (shorter head extension and casting was thicker than my tm-2. Different model year)

Back