What's new
What's new

Northfield Air Chuck on SL-10

wishin4snow

Plastic
We finally had to get rid of our last Hardinge CHNC chucker. We run a couple of jobs that we need to use an air chuck. All of our Northfield air chucks that ran in the chuckers have the threaded 5C adapter. We need to mount the Northfield to the SL-10 now to make the parts and the SL-10 has a 5C collet chuck on with the threaded nose but I am afraid that the airchuck might just unthread when the spindle stops. These spindles slow down a lot quicker than the chuckers. Is there an easy solution to this or do I need to get a spindle adapter for the Haas. We would need to switch between the air chuck and standard 5C pretty regularly.

I thought about adding a locking set screw to the assembly but I would need to drill into the 5c collet chuck.

Doesn't sound like an ideal setup to me.
You "could" slow down in steps but that would increase cycle time.
I say get a chuck adapter and mount the air chuck properly to the spindle nose.

Use your CSS to ramp the spindle speed down.

I actually found the parameter for Deceleration rate on the machine. I actually thought about writing to the parameter for programs that use the air chuck but you have to be in E-stop to change it. I was able to read the parameter so I could just have a check for programs that use the chuck.

Definitely an option but not sure how good of an option it is.

Back