What's new
What's new

Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.
I just bought a new Haas VF2 and now need your guys help. Before it arrives I thought it prudent to get my ducks in order as far as all the other stuff to make it run is concerned. Perhaps you can advise on what I need to get started. I know a vise from orange, chick, or kurt is something that I need as well as tooling and tool holders. But what specifically should I purchase to start running basic aluminum parts. Surfacing bits, end mills drills, what else? What other things do you find useful? Carts, de-burring tools etc?

I am sorry if I come off as a total noob, and that is because that I am, but there was an opportunity to get a great deal on the machine that I can grow into for a really long time so I jumped into the deep end, rotary and all.

Oh and I am familiar with CNC for wood but not for metal.

Thank you so much.

If it's a "NEW" new machine, your HFO should offer you training. If it's a "new to you" machine, you still might ask a your local HFO (Haas Factory Outlet) what a training session would cost. You'll want to get to know them for support and repair of the machine anyway. As far as tooling and related items, we need a better idea of what you want to make, and what your budget is. You also need a good air compressor, which must have a very good water trap/separator - these machines need clean, moisture-free air to run. Don't forget to make sure the machine has a solid foundation to rest on, and is properly leveled to achieve accurate cutting conditions.

Hello.
Got the compressor and figured out dry air by messing with my current Haas machine. The training is happening as well. What I was more concerned about is a starter set of tools and things. I plan to make a lot of not very big aluminum parts for camera systems and some big parts for my furniture business.I would like to know what more experienced people find useful. Like what vise do you like, or what tool can you not do without. I had time with the sheet router to figure things out on my own but with this I would like to hit the ground running. Oh and the machine is new.

My first CAT40 machine's starter kit... What I actually bought...

3 Kurt D688's.
qty 1 1" setscrew holder
qty 2 3/4" setscrew holder
qty 1 5/8" setscrew holder
qty 3 1/2" setscrew holder
qty 3 3/8 setscrew holder
qty 4 ER 16 holders
qty 2 ER 32 holders
qty 2 ER 40 holders
qty 1 drill chuck on a holder
2 sets ER16 collets
1 set ER32
1 set ER40
1 straight shank ER32 floating tap holder
3 straight shank ER16 holders for when I needed to go long.
A big pile of pull studs.... DON'T cheap out here.

ER32 and ER40 are sort of redundant, but I could only get a floating tap holder with ER32, and I still needed to hold stuff that was near an inch...

Things that were added to that very quickly... Another CAT40 machine.
Shell mill arbors for face mills.
Another dozen ER16 holders in varying lengths.
another half dozen 1/2" set screw holders, and some more 3/8 and some more 3/4.
A 3rd set of ER16 collets, plus lots of individuals in ER16 and ER32, mostly 1/4" 1/8" and 1/2".. and a few 3/4".

As for cutting tools, buy what you need as you need it... There is nothing worse than thinking you can't do without something, and it
sits there and stares at you for year and year and years, laughing at you that you wasted 50 or $100.

The first time you run a job that you don't have to buy tools for is pretty sweet.... And don't be a cheap bastard. Tools like company,
if you buy just ONE, it will be depressed and immediately commit suicide. If you buy 3, the one in the machine will last forever, hoping it
can get back to the drawer with its buddies and have a party.

If it's a "NEW" new machine, your HFO should offer you training. If it's a "new to you" machine, you still might ask a your local HFO (Haas Factory Outlet) what a training session would cost. You'll want to get to know them for support and repair of the machine anyway.

Milland, that was the best advice yet! Get a hold off your nearest Haas Factory Outlet. Take their Mill Class. Get your instructor's phone number, email, etc. If he can't answer your question, he knows someone who can.
Good Luck!

qty 1 1" setscrew holder
qty 2 3/4" setscrew holder
qty 1 5/8" setscrew holder
qty 3 1/2" setscrew holder
qty 3 3/8 setscrew holder

Just curious, are "setscrew holders" the same as Weldon shank holders?

Rex

They probably have some horrifically funny name for them in Britain also, a topsy crank holder or something.

No they wouldn't use "holder" in the name. They don't name anything that would give someone a clue as to what it's for.

Probably more like a "Potchy Bloom"

Just curious, are "setscrew holders" the same as Weldon shank holders?

Rex

Does a Welden holder grab the tool too close to the end?

How much (small) Carbide tooling has the flats on it anymore?

I would get 20 ER16 holders, about six ER32 holders.
8 sets of ER16 collets so you have enough of each size,
or at least 6-8 extra 7mm, 5mm, 4mm. ( 1/4" 3/16" 1/8" ) you can get inch, but why create a big cluster of mixed sizes to keep tack of?
Get the sets in metric as they were intended, and label your collet drawers in metric units.

You did say small aluminum?

Forget the drill holders, they are a different length than the ER holders anyway...
Everything in the ER holders for now..

Get some good REVERSE vises.
Everyone that comes in and sees them marvels that all vises are not built that way, and how soon can they switch their own shop over!
This is an example. I do NOT recommend this specific due to "workmanship"
The screws look like they were gnawed by a first year high school student.
But the design idea is vastly superior to the other direction, once you try it, you will never want to go back.

As many sets of parallels as vises.

It is no longer the late 1970's so the machine should have rigid tapping.
No need for floating tap holders. use the ER holders.

Band saw, vibratory machine, calipers, micrometers, lots of room, lots of cabinets to use up that room.
Tool setting work area.

The first time you run a job that you don't have to buy tools for is pretty sweet.... And don't be a cheap bastard. Tools like company,
if you buy just ONE, it will be depressed and immediately commit suicide. If you buy 3, the one in the machine will last forever, hoping it
can get back to the drawer with its buddies and have a party.

I noticed this already. Any advice as to the brand of tool holder?

Look at US Shop tools. They have a great catalog and the sales guy I work with always gives me good deals when we are tooling up a new machine. Call Harsh they have a wide range of tooling to to bottom brand stuff.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back