Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default NX Programmers

Good Morning. My client in Virginia is in search of an NX Programmer to work onsite The pay rate is above what the market is paying. An Active Secret Clearance is preferred but not necessary. If anyone is interested in finding out more, please call or email me.

Mike DiFrancesco
    Cadstar International
    [email protected]
    978-773-2977.
    Last edited by recruit1; 10-17-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Attention to detail is very important to programming and machining in general. Like using the proper forum for want ads:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...opportunities/

3. Likes Vancbiker, as9100d, TeachMePlease, Fancuku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    Attention to detail is very important to programming and machining in general. Like using the proper forum for want ads:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...opportunities/

I was thinking that the obvious "on sight" vs "onsite" was pretty glaring, too.

5. Likes Booze Daily, Fancuku liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Above"? WTF does that mean? WTF is a secret clearance? I've worked with the DOD for years, ain't never needed me no gadamn secret clearance. Is that like some 007 type thing?

R

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    "Above"? WTF does that mean? WTF is a secret clearance? I've worked with the DOD for years, ain't never needed me no gadamn secret clearance. Is that like some 007 type thing?

R

The jobs at Newport News so he probably means a TWIC clearance. That add is popping up everywhere from Linkedin to Glassdoor all saying security clearance needed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    You never know, they could be having vision problems. Maybe they need someone to program a lens grinder?

9. Likes TeachMePlease, Fancuku liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it meant that if I walked into the interview with a strip of tape on my forehead that said "NX Programmer", I'd be hired on sight!

11. Likes litlerob1, Screwmachine, Fancuku liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    The jobs at Newport News so he probably means a TWIC clearance.
    An Active Secret Clearance is preferred but not necessary
    Maybe your right. Just stupid ways to make a job sound exciting? As far as I know having a Travel Worker ID Card is not secret.

13. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

R
    I've worked in 2 companies that had so-called 'black rooms' where prototype hardware was designed and fabricated. The engineers/programmers/machinists needed secret clearances to work on a few of the projects in the 'black rooms'. Much to the chagrin of the owners who couldn't go in and monitor what happened behind the wall.

The company I worked for in Kent WA closed down their 'black room' as they couldn't get any programmers/machinists who could get any kind of clearance. DUI's were an issue for most of the programmers/machinists.

There's plenty of DOD work that requires no clearances at all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe your right. Just stupid ways to make a job sound exciting? As far as I know having a Travel Worker ID Card is not secret.
    No. It probably requires a security clearance. If the applicant doesn't have one already, then the company would have to procure it for them before they could start working.

It's super common at large defense contractors for everybody at a specific site or building to need a secret security clearance. Not that big a deal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys are missing the point. Secret security clearance in a job requirement means exactly Zero. For one thing it's not like you can carry one to another shop. And it's not like the DOD gives you a specific level clearance that gives you the right to peak under the hood of Donald's hood.

Lots of shops have proprietary work going on that is possibly defined as secret. Stating that a person needs a secret security clearance in a job description is stupid, to the 32°.

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys are missing the point. Secret security clearance in a job requirement means exactly Zero. For one thing it's not like you can carry one to another shop. And it's not like the DOD gives you a specific level clearance that gives you the right to peak under the hood of Donald's hood.

Lots of shops have proprietary work going on that is possibly defined as secret. Stating that a person needs a secret security clearance in a job description is stupid, to the 32°.

R
    It's definitely stupid in this case because the OP specifically states that a secret security clearance is preferred, but not necessary.

That being said, I can see where it would be beneficial to a potential job applicant to know whether a specific security clearance is actually required - shop work or otherwise. If you have a sordid past that could be a dealbreaker in trying to actually obtain the clearance, so why waste anyone's time if you figure you can't?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, you guys are still missing the point. 99.99% of the time a job posting says clearance is preferred, it is because the job requires it. If a candidate doesn't already have one, the employer will start the process post hire. If the candidate does already have a clearance, they can bypass this step.

Again, this is extremely common at large defense contractors, and I'm not sure why you are so worked up about it. If I see a posting from a recruiter, for a position using NX, with any verbage about security clearance, the context clues suggest it's probably not a mom and pop shop that does the occasional export controlled job...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Boosted, for the sake of friendly argument only...

I do work for, Rockwell Collins, Martin Marianetta, ATK, Boering, Alliant tech, Flight dynamics, Major, Crimson trace, amongst other real American weapons manufacturers and defense contractors. I've been doing it since "89 roughly. I've never needed or been asked to get a "secret security clearance". The reason is, that the shop already has it, and all employees sign a NDA on hire, as an employee.

BTW I ain't worked up yet sonny boy.

R

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do work for, Rockwell Collins, Martin Marianetta, ATK, Boering, Alliant tech, Flight dynamics, Major, Crimson trace, amongst other real American weapons manufacturers and defense contractors
    Wait, Wait, Wait. You listed all those places and you are in Utah!!!! Chit, You should have L3 in the lineup. I couldn't ask for a better customer......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Wait, Wait, Wait. You listed all those places and you are in Utah!!!! Chit, You should have L3 in the lineup. I couldn't ask for a better customer......
    Totally forgot. I do work for L-3, they're fun parts too. Mostly 3" and under, great prints too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Litlerob. Okay point taken.

I also do a lot of work for the big aerospace companies, in my machine shop, which has no clearances or even real export control to speak of. However, in the past I worked at a defense contractor who required a government issued secret security clearance to work in certain areas. They are just totally different scenarios.

Is a CNC programmer going to be exposed to super sensitive information that the Russians would kill for? Unlikely. However I would bet very good money that every single Lockheed employee at Edwards Airforce Base is required to have a secret security clearance; even if the UPS guy who delivers to them does not. Not arguing the merits of it, so much as pointing out that it is definitely a standard practice.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's more like double secret probation ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poor recruiter had no idea what he was getting into...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poor recruiter had no idea what he was getting into...
    I've short sympathy for people who don't do real work in our Society.

26. Likes TeachMePlease, g-coder05 liked this post