What's new
What's new

O-ring inproving marks left by entry exit and surface finish

Bob Gray

Plastic
Hi, see attached pictures. The part is made from 304 stainless steel. As you can see from the attached pictures I'm getting marks on entry and exit. The application is vacuum and I'd like to get the surface finish so I do not have to spend time on secondary finishing if that is possible. Different brand of end mill, more time in the machine etc is not a problem.

Right now I'm running an Imco M9 series 1/8th end mill 4 flute. I use a slotting operation to remove the bulk of the material leaving .005 on the floor for cleanup. The I use a 2D contour to to cut the sides to finish dimension. I've tried a Harvey tool 1/8th with corner radius but get a similar result. Then a finish for the floor to minimize cutter deflection. Speed-feed plus chip load is in the pictures with plunge etc..

Thanks

o-ring mill 5.jpgo-ring mill 4.jpgo-ring mill 3.jpgO-ring mill 2.jpgO-ring mill 1.jpg

Leave .01-.015 on the floor for finishing not .005 Also are you using a rougher and a finisher or just one tool as your surface finish is not that great anywhere.

Can you finish the wall and the floor in seperate operations?

Ie. when you finish the floor stay a .001" or so away from the walls and then when you finish the wall stay up .001"

Only using one end mill for both rough and finish. I'll order the Garr tool and use the Imco as a rougher. Try leaving more for finish.

If the code looks good, doesn't plunge Z past the floor, it looks indicative of shitty servo tuning or mechanical backlash on a machine with a counterbalance.

As was already asked, what machine?

If it is a machine issue that doesn't mean you can't work around it with careful programing such as slow smooth moves and a vertical arc in, as was already mentioned.

I had missed that someone already asked what machine it was on.

But I imagine all these suggestions on fixing the issue, all to find out that's it a little homebrew cnc.

Like hardplates said, you can probably work around it even if it was. probably. But if it really is critical vacuum stuff, I'd think you'd be needing to lap it anyway? (never done that kind of work myself.)

Haas VF-2. I zoomed in with a microscope. So to the naked eye the finish looks passable. But under a loop 5x you can see the tool marks.

As I said you need to check the code. If that is good then I would check for backlash in Z. A vertical ramp will likely hide some short comings if it is machine related.

I know nothing about Haas machines and if it is a option but bell shaped accel deccel curves will help with overshoot when plunging at a high feed rate.

I have loose machines and tight machines. I can make good parts on them all, it just requires a different approach and amount of time.

I can't read any of that toolpath information, but use a 2D contour and not a slotting operation for this. That was you can use the "ramp" option on the linking tab and ramp down. That's how I cut o-ring grooves and I have never had a problem with finish.

ETA: also, get rid of your lead out or you'll usually get a toolpath that gouges since it isn't processing the model geometry, just your selected contour.

Last edited:
For the dwell mark, I'd start by a slower feed in the Z move once the tool is +.02 from the floor. End mill tips are the high point of the tool so slow it down or just ramp in. I'd definitely over lap the start and exit point to make sure that area is covered again.
As for the rest of the o-ring surface tool marks, try pushing the feed rate up. Milling is funny like that, a harder feed can polish and can even help remove the step during face milling.

The lead-in lead-out parameters are on the last tab in the edit 2D contour tool path in Fusion 360. You can remove any lateral lead in/out and use a small purely vertical lead-in/out at 90 degrees with perhaps a 0.020 to 0.050” radius. This eliminates abrupt axis motion stopping and machine directional change that can result in a small vibration, not enough to cause a dimensional change (per se) but a small cosmetic change ( the swirl marks you see here).

Back