Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    Are you using a "0" grooving cycle? I am not sure if it dwells with a 0 cycle. Put a really crazy number in your dwell parameter and see if it does dwell. If not, you will have to use a "1" cycle or write a Mazatrol manual unit.
    Gobo,

I am using the #1 groove option. I put in 255 on the dwell and lowered the rpm and it definitely is not dwelling. I just tried the #0 groove and that one dwells. I never use that one because it shifts the grooving tool over... unless you're supposed to touch your z off to the left side of the tool eye for that one?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amazing. My lack of knowledge on mazatrol is what did me in here. Thank you, Gobo, for suggesting the change in groove cycles. The groove #0 with 2 revs was the key to this. Groove #1 did not allow for dwell... Here I thought it was dwelling all this time. Thank you all for your help!

3. Likes Gobo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo View Post
    Trueturning,

I just tested out a part with a finishing and semi finishing pass. I'm leaving .020" (diameter) on each pass and slowed the feed down to .004"/rev. I am measuring about .0009" to .0011" difference now. Definitely an improvement, but still a wide range.

Would you leave less on the finishing passes? The groove bottom looks to have very slight chatter marks now.
    I think you can adjust it in the chatter is a bit strange lightening the cuts will help somewhat sneezing up on the finish with three semi finishes after roughing helps make sure in your program you also are allowing material on the sides as well as the diameter. For a groove the radius should always be perfectly round. Use gage pins to check it. Most all the time it is process. Programs figure in also. Programming which ignores good process is no good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo View Post
    Yes. The chatter is very slight. I figure the dwells would be almost like spring passes anyways.

digger doug - I figured my roughing feed was high enough to get in and out quick without work hardening, but the sfm might be a tad high. I could be doing it wrong, too, as I never turned 420ss and don't have a whole lot of lathe experience. This is my first time grooving.
    I just noticed that you are using a Mazak! Same principles apply to process and yes the parameters make a lot of difference. Mazak is the boss and the manual programming is excellent on them too. Of course G code is often used where ideal too. The best job shop machine in my opinion.

Lucky you having one. They are my favorite. Fact is when you make a change and you see great improvement you are going through the right processes.

Good advice on the parameters makes me think well of the Mazaks I used over the years. You did very well for your first time grooving on a lathe.

Learn the lathe well and it will be helpful to you. Safety comes first. Learn as much as you can from someone experienced. Long hair and long sleeves highly discouraged as it is definitely dangerous. Respect yourself and the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sort the other end but do any see this in a center hole drill in chatter or runout if the part is going to grinder?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Sort the other end but do any see this in a center hole drill in chatter or runout if the part is going to grinder?
    Not sure what you are speaking of really. Sending things off to the grinder is way cool as I like grinding yet have not done so as to the level that I consider a high level. Where I needed to grind I grind and will grind.

Bob,

Are you referring to a rough drilled hole that did not clean up well for à I’d grinding operation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The center holes in the ends are most often done by a cnc.
    These need to be round. If the cnc does a plunge and rapid retract with no dwell they will not be.
    There will be a helix on the cone due to feed per rev. Put into the centers on the grinder and it makes for wobble.
    Sometimes this handled by a in between lap of the center hole but easier to make it right from the start.
    Bob