What's new
What's new

Odd stylus failure - ever seen this?

roamer

Aluminum
Just happen'd to look at the probe in the carousel and it appeared the stylus was broke.
Couldn't figure out why or how, nothing came close to it.
I jogged the table around and found the ruby, it literately fell out of the stylus.
I can't see much in the way of epoxy on the shaft.
Maybe clean it with Acetone and super glue it, then calibrate it again?
IMG_20210413_134301236.jpg

Hey, a case where Bondo could actually fix it!

Yea, I would clean it and use some super glue, and see if she calibrates.

Loctite would be my pick, something like 263 or equivalent.

On second thought it depends on the fit, 263 likes a .003" gap. If it is much closer then go with a thread locker for press fits.

Got a local vendor for stylii?

I'd glue in a pinch but would still replace it asap. Not worth it to scrap a part (if the ball falls off again) to save a few bucks.

Keep this in the drawer as a last resort backup.

I ordered 2 from MSC Industrial before I even got on here, I just wanted to finish up this project it's running on.
I re-centered it and calibrated it more as a practice run for when the replacement arrives.
I thought I had a spare, I keep spares of all these little job stopping items, but I was wrong.
I'll jump on the lathe and get some stuff done while I wait for it to arrive.

Just an FYI in case anyone is looking, I came across a page on Mcmaster Carr, they carry a Ton of styli for probes, different lengths and rubi diameters, adapters and break stems. Sure they are typically more expensive, but they are quick.
McMaster-Carr

If its just for a day or two, gorilla glue super glue is the go to. Definetly order more, they are cheaper than scrapping a part.

I haven't had that happen, but I did have a 6mm ruby ball explode into several pieces probing a Z surface in a VMC.

The shank was ceramic, so a bit surprised the tip was the thing to break. Probe didn't notice, just continued doing its thing.

If you have not broken the tip off a probe you do not have chips in your shoes....
24 hour long set epoxy and order a new tip. No glue running the outside is main as it will become part of the ball.
Even a run wiped away or weep may be a big problem so the stylus needs to be upside down during gluing.
Bob

I haven't had that happen, but I did have a 6mm ruby ball explode into several pieces probing a Z surface in a VMC.

The shank was ceramic, so a bit surprised the tip was the thing to break. Probe didn't notice, just continued doing its thing.
This is quite common when probe is extensively used in Z axis direction. The force needed to trigger the OMP40-2 probe in X and Y direction is 0.5-0.9 Newton, while in Z direction - 5.85 Newton. Frequent Z axis use causes the ruby tip to break or "explode". It is recommended to use in such cases the tungsten carbide instead of ruby styli (A-5000-7670 with M-2085-0069 crash protection instead of A-5000-3709).

This is quite common when probe is extensively used in Z axis direction. The force needed to trigger the OMP40-2 probe in X and Y direction is 0.5-0.9 Newton, while in Z direction - 5.85 Newton. Frequent Z axis use causes the ruby tip to break or "explode". It is recommended to use in such cases the tungsten carbide instead of ruby styli (A-5000-7670 with M-2085-0069 crash protection instead of A-5000-3709).

That is interesting.

I fiddled with it and can actually feel it. Hadn't really thought of it before.

It was an MP10 system, so I looked it up and it is 4.2N for Z. But that's still 1 pound of force on that little ruby.

We broke a ruby tip last year. We ordered a new stylus but, to get by for a couple days, we made a titanium ball with a hole in it that we glued with medical grade epoxy (it was on hand). Indicated and re-calibrated. Worked fine but we did replace it when the new stylus came in. It's now a last ditch spare since we try to keep one stylus extra on hand for the two mills.

Yeah yeah. Titanium. Only needed it to work for a day or two.

The stylist are not that expensive, I would order a back up one and see if the vender will replace this one for you for free since it looks like a faulty tool.

Back