What's new
What's new

Offset Tool Wear compensation help milling.

philippg

Plastic
Hello,

i'm a student in cnc got a question.

Want to be in the tolerance i know +1 in z in the tool wear means it till goes to 5 instead of 6mm in z. But how does radius work? -0.5 on a end mill on contour and pockets means it will be 1mm smaller? Becouse i want to make it smaller first so i can change and the tolerance will be perfect.

Using a Dmg MOri eco mill with Siemens.

/Thanks Phil

-0.5 on radius means that you are specifying a smaller radius, whereas the tool has a larger radius. So, it will overcut. But, this will come in picture only if you are using radius compensation. Without radius compensation, the value of radius specified in offset has no effect.

When doing 2D contouring with an endmill, the tool will remove more material if you put a negative value in the radius/diameter tool wear offset. (If you are using tool radius comp G41/G42 in your ISO-program that is. If you are programming in ShopMill (conversational) everything is comped.)

thanks so if i will be sure the tool diameter is correct i can add +0.5 so the pocket will be smaller and leave material if i do a outside cut for exemple?

thanks so if i will be sure the tool diameter is correct i can add +0.5 so the pocket will be smaller and leave material if i do a outside cut for exemple?
Yes- as mentioned a positive number will leave more material, a negative number will remove more material.

The amount it will shift depends on how the offset parameter is set- whether to comp radius or diameter. Say you have a 10mm dia. end mill. If the parameter is set to comp radius, and you enter +.5 in the offset register, the machine will treat it as an 11mm dia. cutter. If the parameter is set to comp diameter, the machine will treat it as a 10.5mm dia. cutter.

Back