What's new
What's new

OKUM MC-4VA anyone have a say about these 1989 Been a Long time I'm back

Hot Headz Marine

Hot Rolled
Yes its me the ACROLOC GUY... FOOL I mean, IM back finally and still searching for a machine in my area. A listing came up on a OKUM MC-4VA and I dont know a thing about them. Any of you good folks have experience with these things? year is 1989.
Any help is much appreciated. I dont want another ACROLOC Eating my time and money but dont need a production machine either.
Thank you, Lewis E. Walker

Hi Lewis. I ran that era of Okuma mills back when they were new. Mine were larger- a 5VA and a 6VA. They are rock solid machines and good controls. OSP codes are a little different than Fanuc, but not a big deal. I loved those mills, they never gave me any grief.

A CNC that old isn't worth a lot of money, and you have to make sure all the documentation is there, backups, etc. But if it's a good running machine that's had an easy life it will probably keep going for years. There were a lot of them sold, so parts and support will be easier to find than that Acroloc!

CNC Bridgeports are a crapshoot. Some are okay and some are less so. Seems like the manual ones bring more money, around here anyway.

The Okumas are a real good machine. There's alot of those still running. 1989 isn't ancient. That should have AC servos and have pretty much the same capabilities as a brand new high end machine, just slower.

A large company I do work for still has a handful of those Okumas hard milling steel. They have no problem spending millions on new machines when needed, but the only time they get rid of the Okumas is when they need a repair they can't justify (almost never).

1989 machine will have an OSP5000M-G or maybe an OSP5020M-G. Really nice control from an operation and programming standpoint. Not as reliable as the Fanuc of the era, but pretty close. Motors and drives are great. The absolute encoders are a bit troublesome relative to Fanuc, but again not too bad. The shop I retired from at one time had 6 Okumas of approximately that vintage. 5 were 4 axis HMCs and one was a 4 axis MC4VA. Between them there were at least 45 encoders. On average, we had to replace one per year. Bought a parts machine so I could get a full set of boards, drives, motors, etc. to help with troubleshooting and minimize downtime.

1989 machine will have an OSP5000M-G or maybe an OSP5020M-G. Really nice control from an operation and programming standpoint. Not as reliable as the Fanuc of the era, but pretty close. Motors and drives are great. The absolute encoders are a bit troublesome relative to Fanuc, but again not too bad.

This is what I look like when I'm biting my tongue. :rolleyes5: I really don't have any argument though so...he likes the 11M- I don't. But he knows more than me.

R

This is what I look like when I'm biting my tongue. :rolleyes5: I really don't have any argument though so...he likes the 11M- I don't. But he knows more than me.

I'm certain that I do not know more than you. Particularly about programming and operation. I come at all this from a different perspective than many since my primary background is CNC service. If I was an operator or programmer, I'd go with the OSP over a Fanuc. When I'm responsible for best uptime and production availability, eff the operators/programmers and their whiny bitching about weird menus or outdated U/I, I'm choosing Fanuc :D .

If I was looking to buy an older starter machine, a nice Okuma at a good price would be a fine choice. That's why my garage CNC has a Mitsu control. Good condition machine at a great price, so it is not my favorite control, I'll take it anyway.

The seller states the machine is up and running for testing and has offered to rig and ship it to me included in the negotiated or offered price of 8000,00. He is a few miles away.
I haven't asked about any tooling. what you guys think? Run? Counter offer? 2500.00?

Nice to here from you all. Life has been a challenge for the last 10 months. Lost my wife to breast cancer days before our wedding anniversary. The good lord is gracious though and sent me a helper. I am now re-married. Life is to short I have learned.

Learning to live again after loosing a spouse is still in affect but I am getting back on my feet faster than I thought possible so back into a machine sooner than later.

Any more advice is always respectfully appreciated.

If the seller's offering to deliver they are probably flipping the machine. Most shops don't care to get involved in delivering their old machines. That may not be a bad thing, just feel them out and if it seems too good to be true...

In my world that machine might be worth $8k if it has a full enclosure and it's impeccably clean and well cared for. If it's an open bed machine (foot or so tall wings around the table) like most of these were in the 80's then It's going to be a hard sell for even $4k. Open machines are poor for chip and coolant containment. They work fine and can be a great asset in a shop, but open machines are NOT for large runs or hogging aluminum. Steel is fine. You just feed them hard enough that chips don't clear the table.

Good advice Garwood. Thank you. I will post up a picture, Maybe you could take a look when ya get a few minutes. Thank you.

I agree, definitely not an 8K machine in and of itself. If it runs well and everything is still tight, 4K for the machine itself wouldn't be unreasonable. If the 8K includes rigging and shipping have you looked into what that would cost you if you hired your own people to do so? You will still need to unload and rig onto your floor right? On used machines like these we often find that the included tooling can be a huge difference maker, especially if you don't already have a ton of tooling to begin with. It doesn't take long to add up to several thousand dollars worth of tool holders. I would say you will be getting much more for your money in the long run than trying to use a Bridgeport that's been fitted with a CNC type control.

8K does seem high. I just bought a 1998 MX-45VAE in very good condition with a spare parts machine for 5k

But it did cost me 3k to have it rigged

Rob

Rigging costs are not likely to be the same in your area...

I know of a similar sized machine (13k lbs VMC) that was moved about a year ago to a new home about 20 miles away. The cost to move it out, truck it to the rigger's warehouse, unload it, store for a few weeks, load and truck to new shop, move into place, was $2500.

This was in the greater Portland, Or. area though where costs are not cheap.

He seems willing to negotiate further but I have not asked about tooling. what do y'all think about a Mighty Viper..with enclosure?

Back