What's new
What's new

Okuma 106 Alarm A (EC overload)

King of Nothing

Plastic
So, we got an older lr-15 with an ops5020L controller at an auction, and got it up and running about a week ago. This morning, it threw and alarm in the middle of a program, and I'm not really sure where to start tracking down the issue.

The alarm is 106 A (EC overload), and the book says:

"The overlad relay of the EC is tripped.

(bit 2 of EC input #8 is 0.)

This alarm occurs when any of the spindle lubrication motor, the hydraulic pump motor, the slideway lubrication motor, etc. is overheated or a problem with them is detected."

I checked all of the breakers in the box, and they were all fine. Any help on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

It's not a tripped breaker alarm (107), but an overheated motor condition. One of the motors you mentioned are getting hot. It could also be a coolant pump motor. Let them cool down and check the amp draw on each motor.

It has sat overnight, and I still can't clear the alarm, so I'm unable to check the amp draw on the motors. (With the exception of the hydraulic pump which does turn on when I fire the machine up.)

I just gave Okuma a call, and the guy on the phone seemed positive that it was a breaker. I've hunted high and low and reset every breaker in the cabinet to no avail. Does anyone know if a breaker is hidden somewhere in there that I'm just not seeing?

broken connection can cause overheat /overload alarms on axis servo motors.
happened on my 7000 recently

we used a long jumper cable to do a continuity test. yep wire broken.

Hello K of N,

I stand corrected, I was thinking they were thermal overloads. According to the electrical print you should have re-settable breakers on the overloads. Look at OL6, OL7, and OL8. OL1C is the breaker for the hydraulic pump but you stated that the hydraulic pump was running. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if a breaker is hidden somewhere in there that I'm just not seeing?

Long shot / stab in the dark. You could check in the control box of the chip conveyor, or coolant pumps. Some times the thermal over loads are remote mounted out there. Especially the chip conveyor that has reversing contactors, for clearing birds nests.

Regards Phil.

Hello K of N,

I stand corrected, I was thinking they were thermal overloads. According to the electrical print you should have re-settable breakers on the overloads. Look at OL6, OL7, and OL8. OL1C is the breaker for the hydraulic pump but you stated that the hydraulic pump was running. Hope this helps.

Found it! I did not recognize the breakers on the overloads as breakers. they're just little plastic tabs that hardly stick out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Is there any way I could get a copy of your electrical prints?

Thanks to everyone else too. This community is always a huge help.

I have the same problem in this morning. After I've searched in Google, I found this thread. And your answer is work. In my case, Overload of OL6 (Magnetic Cont. ) is the problem so I push the small plastic tap back and everything come back. Thank you very much.

FYI. Newbie here just registered to give some info into this issue. I have been poking around on this forum for a few years but have never registered until now. My issue turned out to be the spindle cooling fan was jammed up throwing the thermal overload on OL1. I should have known this As the machine sounded quieter upon powering up. Normally the fan is loud. Anyway this caused the issue and it didn't throw the breaker right away but after a few minutes of operation as the fan motor heated up to the point where it went thermal.. Anyway after taking the cover off the fan motor in noticing it was jammed up I freed up the fan and all was well.

Back