Okuma cnc lathe
Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: Okuma cnc lathe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Okuma cnc lathe

Looking to buy 1996 OKUMA CADET LNC 8C “BIG BORE” CNC TURNING CENTER. Any problems? Is it a solid machine? Looks like in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sash1ca35 View Post
    Looking to buy 1996 OKUMA CADET LNC 8C “BIG BORE” CNC TURNING CENTER. Any problems? Is it a solid machine? Looks like in great shape.

Uhhh.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are built like tanks. We have a 96 & it will run tenth work all day long. We also have a 2004 Captain L470, & while a solid and very accurate machine, it is a gutless wonder for a 15" chuck machine. We can push almost a big of insert drill in the cadet as what we can push in the Captain.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sash1ca35 View Post

I like the color schemes they offered in the Nineties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I like the color schemes they offered in the Nineties.
    Was it the off white in the nineties or did they still have the puke-green colors?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Off white wasn't until 2000. Think green coolant tank and beige door. Diagonal badge that says "Cadet".

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had 1 of these at Beretta that we bought new in about 90. it ran 24/7 and was pulled out of commission last year. it made millions of barrels from rectangular stock ( so it was a heavy interrupted cut) I honestly cant say enough good things about the Cadet !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never owned a Cadet, but Okuma is as good as it gets. I've owned and run Mori-Seiki, Kitamura, Mikron and other 'high-end' machinery, and nothing is built like Okuma. It's sort of like their engineers said "forget price, what would be the absolute most bulletproof way to design 'x' on a machine?" and then they did that. Not cheap to fix, but they run forever and hardly ever break. I have 35+ year old Okuma LC lathe that fires up every day and cranks out parts and holds a tenth all day long without missing a beat. I've made countless thousands of parts on it and the only problems have been stuff like a worn our relay, limit switch, and the occasional gasket/seal that needs replaced. Pretty good for a machine almost as old as me.

9. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree Okumas are the best. We have an LB-15 in our toolroom that is still going strong after 30 + years. We use it for hard turning heat treated tool steel as well as anything else we turn in the lathe. I got hired in as a machinist to make replacement + new die components for our stamping plant in St. Louis Missouri. It is the reason I was hired over other candidates in the first place. They originally turned their lathe parts on conventional lathes. I previously worked at a Screw machine plant also in St. Louis and having previous experience on this machine is what got me hired. I really like the Interactive Graphic Function software that comes on this machine that just by answering questions on the screen it will write the G + M code programs. Ours is so old it uses "get this" 8" Floppy disks. The strange thing is we have only 1 Floppy disk in 30 years that has ever went bad. In my opinion you will love your new machine.

11. Likes toolmaker96 liked this post