What's new
What's new

Okuma CNC Lathe Captain L370

The turret "needing repair" because of a tool crash is always concerning. I can't open the link to the video to listen to the machine.
Be aware that by programmable tailstock, they only mean the hydraulic quill. That is a tow-along tailstock from the looks of it, and a manually locking one at that.
That turret design is my least favorite for tooling. May be a preference thing but I much prefer not to have VDI and if it is VDI I prefer it not to be the side-mounted version. Tooling seems to be tougher to find for that.

All that being said, I have run plenty of Okuma lathes from the mid 80's stuff to current which as a whole I have been very happy with. I don't know much about the Cadet line specifically though.

John,

That is the age when some of the machines were moved from US built kits to Beijing built. The tag should be able to tell you.
Should be decent support from Gosiger in your area but you might get a little sticker shock on the costs.

Andy

Okuma Captain L370 Lathe - YouTube

Here is the youtube link.
Thanks for the reply.

One of my biggest concerns is, it has been moved and stored for the last 5 weeks with no power. Will or has it lost it's parameters?

OSP drives are built to use a mechanical encoder for positioning but control parameters are a crap shoot. Make them power it up before even thinking of buying it.

Andy

If the battery is good it should hold the parameters for much longer than 5 weeks. It should also come with a copy of the parameters.....? If they won't power it up for you I would offer 5K......maybe.

Okuma CNC Lathe - 2006 - business/commercial - by owner - sale

This is an okuma lathe locally in portland.

Any opinions on this as a used purchase, warnings, advice and ideas requested.

They are an ok machine, when it comes to Okuma. We have a 470 with the same control. We also have a 95 8" Cadet with the 5020L control. I can tell you this, you can push the cadet at least as hard if not harder than our 470. Biggest difference is that the old cadets were 2 speed gear boxes, where the Captains are direct drive. Our 470 also as the same size turret as our Cadet. Which for a 15" chuck machine, the turret is way undersized.

Another minor gripe about the machine is the control takes forever & a day to boot up. Of course I guess this is not all that uncommon, seems like all of our newer machine the controls are extremely slow to start.

As 70olds says, the tailstock is in fact a tow along & manual clamping. However, everything we do is either one off, or very low qty. & so this feature is not a big deal.

On the + side, the machine is every bit as accurate as you would expect from Okuma. Also, while the turret is undersized, they did stick with the curvet coupling design.

One other personal observation; any photo of a lathe for sale that had a picture of a tail stock with no plug in the bore, I would either take a pass on, or at the very least go over the machine with a fine tooth comb. I would worry about the upkeep on a machine, when they cant even be bothered to plug the quill.

I agree with toolmaker and 2of3. I ran a Chinese Captain for a while. It was better than any average CNC Lathe. But it wasn't an L series lathe for sure. Motor was a little whiney for my taste.

R

Back