What's new
What's new

OKUMA CROWN OSP700L 2axis lathe, BRAOCHING?

Fred Rezfield

Plastic
hey guys i am working on a 1997 okuma crown 762S bb OSP 700 control (with IGF & USB emulator)
can you cut internal keyways with this machine? has anyone tried it?

If it has a C axis, then it'll be fine. Might try turning the spindle override to zero to lock the axis. Works on some machines. Never tried it on an old Okuma.

I have ONE part that needs a 8mm internal keyway cut in it. My Hardinge Conquest has a disc brake to immobilize the spindle. I bet I could do that.
How do you program this?

you have brakes?
then try M19
i am sure you can just G code it. if you have live tooling then you have more options. but i personally hate those machines i can't imagine anyone being able to operate one .. unless you were left handed.

To the original poster, if your machine has a M19/spindle orient command, then it should certainnly be possible. You'd have to write a program, and most likely use some User-Task (custom macro in Fanuc-speak) to make your routine repeat.

I don't see why it wouldn't work though. Those little broaches shouldn't generate that much Z-axis thrust, compared to big indexable drills or big heavy roughing cuts.

Back