What's new
What's new

Okuma Genos m560-v

ArturoMeltri

Plastic
Hello!!

Can somebody share their experience with the Okuma Genos m560-v, it seems to be a good machine according to the specs and with a lot of videos that I've watched.

The size of the table and the x, y and z travels are enough for the works we do in our shop.

I haven't seen any disadvantage of this machine and its relatively cheap for the specs, its around $ 140k

Can someone tell me with which other machine should I compare the Okuma Genos m560-v.

We have a couple of Haas from vf2 to vf6 and they are working fine but we are looking to buy one machine the next year and we think the Genos is a good option.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you! (Sorry if I made mistakes with my english, but its not my native language)

I have two of them and they are excellent machines. Both times we compared against Haas and the Haas is not that much cheaper and the Okuma is that much better. No regrets with them. I did buy a Brother S500 at the last IMTS and am happy with it too, totally different animal that makes a lot of sense with some of the parts that we make. Having Okuma and Brother is the best of both worlds.

Great machines.
Pros
Rigid
Fast
Powerful
Good control
Excellent surfacing
Excellent thermal comp
Reliable

Cons
Parts are expensive
Options are very expensive
Chip flow kinda sucks
Table is low depending on how tall the operator is

Hello!!

Can somebody share their experience with the Okuma Genos m560-v, it seems to be a good machine according to the specs and with a lot of videos that I've watched.

The size of the table and the x, y and z travels are enough for the works we do in our shop.

I haven't seen any disadvantage of this machine and its relatively cheap for the specs, its around $ 140k

Can someone tell me with which other machine should I compare the Okuma Genos m560-v.

We have a couple of Haas from vf2 to vf6 and they are working fine but we are looking to buy one machine the next year and we think the Genos is a good option.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you! (Sorry if I made mistakes with my english, but its not my native language)

What options are you getting that puts the price at $140k???

I'm just adding the Renishaw probe system, the other standard specs are ok for us the Renishaw system is around 6k.

The seller told me that in Mexico the Through Spindle Coolant comes as standard.

We are looking at one fully loaded. $140k with the probing is still a good deal IMO. The options we're looking at are 1,000 psi TSC, probing with OTC, mist collector, 4th axis with 8"(203mm) rotary, and the LNS MH250 conveyor and were quoted 209K down to $190k as a special price. Simlar features on the Mori CMX 1100 was $245k, $209k special. The Makino PS105 was $190k to $166k special. From what Ive seen the Okuma is the best machine in that market. (~40x20 VMC)

What options are you getting that puts the price at $140k???

Pricing outside the US is very different. Sometimes better sometimes worse depending on cost of tariffs and cost of support. Also, the spec is often different. There was a thread on here a couple years ago about a guy in New Zealand looking at a Brother that was way cheaper. Of course the price he had was as stripped as it could be. Even to Canada and Mexico, there are different electrical and safety call outs.

The seller told me that in Mexico the Through Spindle Coolant comes as standard.

Be sure to confirm this... At least from Gosiger in the US, TSC is not standard equipment. TSC-prep is included from the factory - but not the high pressure pump. I believe there are Okuma-made options @ 250 psi and 1000 psi as well as third party options. I have a 500 psi ChipBlaster on mine.

I haven’t had any experience with it, but The 1000 psi ChipBlaster looks better than the Okuma option as it has centrifugal filtering and doesn’t require filter cartridges.

I have had my m560 for about a month now, it's honestly the best mill I have ever run. It runs circles around my old vf3ss.

I got mine with the following options
Renishaw probes
Koma 200mm 4th
Lns MH250 conveyor
MP VR-8 and mist collector
Shower coolant

About the only bad things I have to say about it are the door fills up with chips quite often. Especially if you are moving a lot of bigger chips from an indexable tool. So every cycle I tend to blow out the door to keep it from getting hung up on chips.

Also the tool changer area tends to fill up with chips and a little coolant over a fairly short time. At the current build up I would say it needs to be cleaned out once a month.

I also don't like how the chip conveyor is not tied into the machine, so if you turn on the augers in the machine with the button on the control or with an m code, it doesn't turn the chip conveyor on. This can lead to chip over flowing in the box on top of the lns if your operator is retarded and forgets to turn on the lns conveyor.

But overall it is a great machine with a few small quirks, I would another one in a heartbeat. Holds tolerance on interpolated bores very easily, just finished some aluminum parts that have 2 bearing bores that need to be +.0001/-.0002. had no problem running these all day, I moved cutter comp once.

When we get ours I think I'm going to rig up a washdown or even just an air blow at the door and by the tool changer door. It'd be great if Okuma could design their doors like the Mori CMX. I have heard too many good things about the M560 to not buy it. Our new shop cant be ready fast enough!

Okuma 560...makes chips, doesnt know what to do with them. Could be great...if it could do something with the chips. Its a huge deal with that mill. Not a small problem...a huge fucking problem. Regret here

Okuma 560...makes chips, doesnt know what to do with them. Could be great...if it could do something with the chips. Its a huge deal with that mill. Not a small problem...a huge fucking problem. Regret here

I am very satisfied with my M560V, but do agree with this statement. Whenever I run steel hogouts on the machine, stuck chips become a huge problem. Like, I have to put in M0's to unpack the augers and way covers because it's a problem. It's kinda a perfect storm in there. No chip wash coolant, tons of flat spaces that gather chips, and augers that aren't powerful enough to move a 5lb rats nest of 4140 once it finally falls into the flume.

I am very satisfied with my M560V, but do agree with this statement. Whenever I run steel hogouts on the machine, stuck chips become a huge problem. Like, I have to put in M0's to unpack the augers and way covers because it's a problem. It's kinda a perfect storm in there. No chip wash coolant, tons of flat spaces that gather chips, and augers that aren't powerful enough to move a 5lb rats nest of 4140 once it finally falls into the flume.

The best solution I've found over the years of running the Genos is to have your variable helix end mills to have a chip breaker on them. Smaller chips = no more auger issues.

I do this. Even with chip breakers, it's an issue. And forget about using facemills.

The main reason I don't complain often is because of its price. Very few entry level machines can take a beating, and make chips like the M560V.

It's always amazing to me how MTB's don't address chip management as a priority. It's almost always an after thought. I think our shop vac will be getting a workout no matter what conveyor we'll end up with. This seems to be the only complaint people have with the M560. If only Okuma frequented this forum to see these comments and address the issue in a new model. Maybe they will at some point... Wishful thinking

Does anyone use a chipfan to clear stuff off? I run HSM toolpaths and rarely get stringy chips. Long finishing chips are about as bad as it gets for me. I assume those are an issue too?

In my 30-taper VMC, I do have to be mindful of where the facemill is sending its swarf. If I move it left to right, the swarf is thrown toward the door and is much more likely to pile up. So I face right-to-left if taking more than a final beauty cut.

I also try to rough almost right up to the finished surfaces with a serrated tool (Destiny Diamondbacks or corncobs). The long stringers from straight endmills can pile up pretty quick.

I'm lucky in that my flood coolant is a very prodigious flow such that it usually blasts the swarf all over the place instead of just shunting it into piles.

Regards.

Mike

It's always amazing to me how MTB's don't address chip management as a priority.......

IME, Okuma typically builds really solid iron with a fantastic control from an operator/programmer standpoint. Chip and coolant management does not appear to get as much consideration. When the LR lathes were first released, the early production ones had nearly a complete replacement of sheetmetal and coolant tank to correct chronic chip clogging and coolant leak trouble.

When marketing is trying to hit a certain price point, and engineering wants to maintain the solid iron and control reputation, something has to give.

We use roughers as much as possible just to make the chips smaller. I make about 3 dumpsters of chips a month and if I don't pay attention to the chips we have to get them hauled every couple of weeks and dealing with the recyclers just eats up time that could be spent making parts. If you leave the augers and conveyor running all the time and knock down the "ant hills" that build up BEFORE they get too big (we leave an old broom by the machines) you don't really have problems. You still get chips in the door issues but I have had them in every other machine that I have had - the 560s just seem worse sometimes because they can make so many more chips than other machines (sometimes it looks like a high velocity chip roostertail coming out of the parts).

Not really sure how they would redesign the sheet metal that would work better and still clear the best part of the machine (the cast iron). A little steeper in the back corners would help but it might interfere with oversized parts. Everything is a trade off.

It's always amazing to me how MTB's don't address chip management as a priority. It's almost always an after thought. I think our shop vac will be getting a workout no matter what conveyor we'll end up with. This seems to be the only complaint people have with the M560. If only Okuma frequented this forum to see these comments and address the issue in a new model. Maybe they will at some point... Wishful thinking

Does anyone use a chipfan to clear stuff off? I run HSM toolpaths and rarely get stringy chips. Long finishing chips are about as bad as it gets for me. I assume those are an issue too?

I think that the problem lies in distribution not the builders. And frankly end users who are not willing to pay for chip management. The MB can have full wash and great conveyors but as we have discussed here before are the end users willing to pay $25-30K for chip management on top of the price of the machine? That being said, the MB and the Genos version do have some steep corners for not having full wash as a standard feature.

Back