What's new
What's new

Okuma Genos M660-V any one buy one?

pfederoff

Plastic
I am looking into a the new Okuma Genos M660-V. I have a quote but am not sure what a good price really is. We have 4 M560's. But need the larger table size.

I am looking into a the new Okuma Genos M660-V. I have a quote but am not sure what a good price really is. We have 4 M560's. But need the larger table size.

I'm going to be purchasing one this fall. I saw one at a shop and was impressed. Tremendous capability. IMO, Okuma is the best, and that's saying something as I used to work for their competition!

I'm going to be purchasing one this fall. I saw one at a shop and was impressed. Tremendous capability. IMO, Okuma is the best, and that's saying something as I used to work for their competition!

man, you gotta get out more if you think okuma is the best machine out there...

Please elaborate if you don't agree Okuma makes and services some of the best machines currently being sold. I don't get out as much as I used to, so I'd love to hear your opinion ...

Please elaborate if you don't agree Okuma makes and services some of the best machines currently being sold. I don't get out as much as I used to, so I'd love to hear your opinion ...

this is not meant to say that okuma isnt good, they make great machines! but best is simply not true. Hermle, GF mikron, Grob are all a step above them IMO/IME, which is reflected in price. one of my best friends was an apps guy for Okuma and even he agrees that those 3 i mentioned are a step up.

this is not meant to say that okuma isnt good, they make great machines! but best is simply not true. Hermle, GF mikron, Grob are all a step above them IMO/IME, which is reflected in price. one of my best friends was an apps guy for Okuma and even he agrees that those 3 i mentioned are a step up.

The M660 is a 3 axis.

Have you ever personally played with the OSP300 control?

The M660 is a 3 axis.

ya i know, he was saying something similar in a thread about 5 axis machines, so i'm just pokin the bear :P
i've played with it a bit, not nearly as much as heidenhain or fanuc. like i said, i dont think its a bad machine, its not! just think there are better ones out there.

The M660 is a 3 axis.

I pretty much agree with empwoer on this one, and am really tired of the "Okuma is the best" type of statements.

I own an M560V. It is a fantastic value. It (the M560V) is like an F150 though. Performance for dollar is arguably the best there is, but just because it the best pickup truck for the money, doesn't mean that Ford makes the best vehicles bar-none.

Okuma is a fine builder. They certainly aren't "the best" though. Japanese machine tools trade a lot of performance for reliability, and the OSP300 is okay, but nowhere near as good as a Heidenhain or Siemens controller.

Any time anyone says "X builder is the best" it's going to get a knee-jerk reaction out of me, because blanket statements like that have absolutely no value. Almost every builder has some products that are excellent, and some products that suck.

I pretty much agree with empwoer on this one, and am really tired of the "Okuma is the best" type of statements.

I own an M560V. It is a fantastic value. It (the M560V) is like an F150 though. Performance for dollar is arguably the best there is, but just because it the best pickup truck for the money, doesn't mean that Ford makes the best vehicles bar-none.

Okuma is a fine builder. They certainly aren't "the best" though. Japanese machine tools trade a lot of performance for reliability, and the OSP300 is okay, but nowhere near as good as a Heidenhain or Siemens controller.

Any time anyone says "X builder is the best" it's going to get a knee-jerk reaction out of me, because blanket statements like that have absolutely no value. Almost every builder has some products that are excellent, and some products that suck.

hah, you're way better with words than i am. very well put!

40+ years in the business. Published author on CNC. Worked for major MTB (Okuma competitor, no less) as Training Coordinator and Applications Engineer. Years of independent consulting and training.

Okuma is the best. Granted, my opinion, but that is how as I see it. Mine are nearing 40 years old, still holding tenths, still supported, still making profits. That's why I'm buying four more.
Able to really HOG and hold tolerance.
OSP control rocks.
That's not to say the others are junk - they are NOT. I should know, I worked for one of them.

We recently got a quote for one with the options we wanted on it. Probe, 1k psi coolant, etc...
I think the price was around $215k if I'm not mistaken.
We're also looking at a Hyundai-Wia KF7600L (80" X travel), for what I think is a steal at less than $200k.

We recently got a quote for one with the options we wanted on it. Probe, 1k psi coolant, etc...
I think the price was around $215k if I'm not mistaken.
We're also looking at a Hyundai-Wia KF7600L (80" X travel), for what I think is a steal at less than $200k.

$215 is expensive, but to me, the machine is absolutely worth it.
The Hyundai looks pretty nice, and not a bad machine for the money. I think that's a 0iM-Fplus control on that one.
The OSP is pretty tough to beat, again, tho, only my opinion.

40+ years in the business. Published author on CNC. Worked for major MTB (Okuma competitor, no less) as Training Coordinator and Applications Engineer. Years of independent consulting and training.

Okuma is the best. Granted, my opinion, but that is how as I see it. Mine are nearing 40 years old, still holding tenths, still supported, still making profits. That's why I'm buying four more.
Able to really HOG and hold tolerance.
OSP control rocks.
That's not to say the others are junk - they are NOT. I should know, I worked for one of them.

well everyone's allowed to be wrong sometimes :P
jk bud :)

$215 is expensive, but to me, the machine is absolutely worth it.
The Hyundai looks pretty nice, and not a bad machine for the money. I think that's a 0iM-Fplus control on that one.
The OSP is pretty tough to beat, again, tho, only my opinion.

have you played with heidenhain?

Back