What's new
What's new

Okuma Lathe Tape Mode Help!

bigrsthe1

Plastic
I have a Okuma Cadet lathe with the 5020L controller that I just purchased and it runs great but my problem is that I do all my CAM programming in Fusion 360 and import the CAM files via drip feed to my machines with a Titan DNC box. I hooked up the Titan box with the RS232 cable and I can download files to the controller with the box with no problems but I hit my memory limit with even the simplest program. Communication isn't a problem with the machine but I can't seem to find a way to run tape mode and drip feed from my box. I called Okuma and they told me they don't believe that controller has tape mode functionality but they could be wrong and that they would do some research and get back to me. Has anyone had this problem or know how to drip feed to a older oakum lathe? All the help I can get would be much appreciated. Thanks

There is a "Tape" mode but, on mine, it was an option. That may be the case with yours. Mine is a bit older, An OSP-5000L, but there was a variation of "DNC" that allowed "Tape" operation.

There is a "Tape" mode but, on mine, it was an option. That may be the case with yours. Mine is a bit older, An OSP-5000L, but there was a variation of "DNC" that allowed "Tape" operation.
Awesome is there a way that I can check to see if mine has this? What is the routine that you go through to get it to use tape mode? Thanks for the help

How small is the memory that you want to drip feed a lathe? I drip feed every mill I have, never even thought about it with a lathe. If your memory is that limited try using canned cycles.
The memory is super small. I can’t import any new cam file to it

Sounds like you have way too many unnecessary characters in your cam program. Edit it and cut out the junk.
My Okuma 5000L controllers will hold about 4 programs with about 3,000 characters each in the BB1 memory. I don't know the exact limit.
My 5000L-G machines will hold a bit more.

I can't stand the extra junk in some cam programs.

Call your local Okuma rep and ask for the DMC (data management card) for your serial number. That will tell you if you have the DNC option (I think) or worst case ask them if they can tell you if it does. Im pretty sure DNC was an option on them.

If youre out of memory, youre program must be pretty big and complicated... Would guess that Fusion is not using Okuma LAP cycles etc and is just wasting memory. With the LAP you could rough a 6" OD x 3" L chunk - holding by 3/4" - down to .250" OD x 2"L with a roughing pass of .010" DOC and finishing tool pass at .001 DOC and use about 10-15 lines of code - just as an example of the potential space savings of the LAP cycles.

Awesome is there a way that I can check to see if mine has this? What is the routine that you go through to get it to use tape mode? Thanks for the help

Go into the electrical cabinet and look for the Control Data Sheet. It will tell you how the machine was equipped from the factory and if any options were installed either at time of build or in the field. You can also call Okuma in Charlotte and give them the machine's serial #.

Call your local Okuma rep and ask for the DMC (data management card) for your serial number. That will tell you if you have the DNC option (I think) or worst case ask them if they can tell you if it does. Im pretty sure DNC was an option on them.

With the LAP you could rough a 6" OD x 3" L chunk - holding by 3/4" - down to .250" OD x 2"L with a roughing pass of .010" DOC and finishing tool pass at .001 DOC and use about 10-15 lines of code - just as an example of the potential space savings of the LAP cycles.

Absolutely. The Okuma LAP cycles rock and can make real quick work of roughing down a part. And all the other cool things that are in there. Remember there's also Okuma User Task system which is similar to Fanuc Macro B. Just faster!

Back