What's new
What's new

Okuma LB-6 with OSP500-l control

as9100d

Stainless
Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on this machine and had a few questions about it.

There is what appears to be an air driven spindle on the gang tool table. Is this for holding a live tool for C axis interpolation or is it a "sub spindle" for finishing work on op2?

There is a dovetailed piece on the spindle side of the cabinet. What is this for? Is this to hole a single tool like a boring bar/drill for op2 work?

Outside of those two things, I know the control is not supported anymore but wanted to know if there is a way to reload parameters (is that something that will even be needed if there is a battery issue). Any other things I should look for outside of the obvious or other things I should know about the machine good and bad?

Pictures would at least give people something to consider.

If it has a C-Axis then you do need a driven Tool obviously. You only need to reload Parameters if you change them. OSP uses bubble memory, so no batteries.

R

Pictures would at least give people something to consider.

If it has a C-Axis then you do need a driven Tool obviously. You only need to reload Parameters if you change them. OSP uses bubble memory, so no batteries.

R

Used Okuma CNC Lathe | HGR Industrial Surplus

Above is the machine I purchased. Great to know about the memory/parameters! I knew there was another reason why I love Okuma machines.

I dont know that I would say the 500 is not supported anymore... I can still get parts, support and service on my OSP3000 which is older than the 500/5000 - but maybe thats your specific Okuma reps?

On the memory. My understanding was back then, they came with bubble memory - but - if the memory card ever failed, the replacements were CMOS type with a battery. My 1980 OSP3000 has batteries on the memory card.

I dont see a paper tape reader, so guessing it will have floppy disks with the operating system on it - but having the actual floppy drive installed was an option and few seem to have them (up through the 5020 control), with out the drive, it means it will take a service call to have the OS reinstalled should it ever be needed. (it doesnt seem that its a very common need though) Replacement paper tapes are spendy critters (last price I got on replacement paper tapes for a 3000 control was $4500), floppy disks are less so... though I suspect the 8" floppy costs more than the 5.25", and the 5.25" costs more than the 3.5" (last price I got on replacement 3.5 floppies for a 5020 was $1500) - so hopefully the OS disks are still with the machine or you never need them. Have had my 1980 OSP3000 Machine since 2005 and never had to reinstall and never had to replace the batteries either.

Have no knowledge on the live tool stuff on that machine. You should be able to call your okuma dealer and give them the model and serial and ask for the "build sheet" or "DMC" to see what all options it came with or was added on by Okuma. Might help you learn more about it.

Wade

I dont know that I would say the 500 is not supported anymore... I can still get parts, support and service on my OSP3000 which is older than the 500/5000 - but maybe thats your specific Okuma reps?

On the memory. My understanding was back then, they came with bubble memory - but - if the memory card ever failed, the replacements were CMOS type with a battery. My 1980 OSP3000 has batteries on the memory card.

I dont see a paper tape reader, so guessing it will have floppy disks with the operating system on it - but having the actual floppy drive installed was an option and few seem to have them (up through the 5020 control), with out the drive, it means it will take a service call to have the OS reinstalled should it ever be needed. (it doesnt seem that its a very common need though) Replacement paper tapes are spendy critters (last price I got on replacement paper tapes for a 3000 control was $4500), floppy disks are less so... though I suspect the 8" floppy costs more than the 5.25", and the 5.25" costs more than the 3.5" (last price I got on replacement 3.5 floppies for a 5020 was $1500) - so hopefully the OS disks are still with the machine or you never need them. Have had my 1980 OSP3000 Machine since 2005 and never had to reinstall and never had to replace the batteries either.

Have no knowledge on the live tool stuff on that machine. You should be able to call your okuma dealer and give them the model and serial and ask for the "build sheet" or "DMC" to see what all options it came with or was added on by Okuma. Might help you learn more about it.

Wade

All good to know. I'm picking up the machine this coming up tuesday. I'm hoping it doesnt need much to get working other than hoses, cleaning, and setting up.

I gave the local Okuma dealer an email and a call expecting a call back but 2 days had passed and no response. Seems like all of the machine tool dealers in my neck of the woods are garbage.

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

Did you end up not getting the Okuma? I have been looking at the same one at HGR or maybe its a duplicate? How did you make out with them? Just scared to buy anymore cnc machinery from them.. I know its all as-is but have not had great luck with them lately. Would love to hear if you were happy with your Okuma LB6 as I been seaching for one. Thanks! Mark

Back