What's new
What's new

Okuma LB15 Bar Pull cycle

timb12957

Plastic
We have an Okuma LB15 with OSP5000L-G control that we have owned since 1997. I will call it machine A

We recently acquired a second LB-15 with a OSP5020L control. I will call it machine B

Machine A has a barpull program stored in it that we would like to add to machine B

Our operator of 22 years is no longer with us.

Our new operator can program parts on our machines but does no know how to view, copy and enter the barpull program from machine A to machine B

Please post your replies remembering you are working with greenhorns. lol :D

Insert 3.5" floppy disk. Go to Edit mode. Press button labeled Read/Punch. Select soft key Copy. Enter file name to be copied, followed by :FD0. Press hard key enter.

Now the file is on the floppy.

Just realized 5000 has no Floppy drive....

RS232 is going to be your best bet. BUT the program is like major basic programming. It'll take less time to just manually enter it into the newer machine.

R

what i was hoping was instructions on how to view the program on machine A, write it down on paper then type it in machine B

Okay, there are several file extensions that OSP uses. .MIN files are the ones that run in the foreground and are obviously visible. So I'm guessing that you are looking for an .SSB file which is a sub-routine or sub macro. It's possible that it's an .LIB file but I doubt it, even though it'll be in the LIB directory.

You're going to have to copy it from the LIB directory, and paste it into the MAIN directory. Which means you're going to need access to the LIB directory. And the known file name. OSP controls are much like a personal computer from the same era. Find folder(directory) find the file, copy it to the folder you need it in. It's a little like Linux in that way. FILE.SSB/COPY/FILE.MIN:MAIN I'm sure that's not exact, but close. Mtndew or Wade are better at this shit than me. I'm sure they'll chime in eventually.

R

I cant say when it comes to anything other than .MIN files... I do my bar pulling cycles using IF GOTO and counts in a variable - Ive not played with any subs on the okumas - yet... And I only have a 3000, and 2 - 5020L controls in shop to look at - but I understand that the 5020 is more or less an upgrade to a 5000 with much of the same hardware... so is similar from what I read.

That said... presuming you know the name of the program - And forgive me - not standing in front of a machine so going from memory, so Im not 100% on the Fkeys

To look at the list of programs you have in memory... you would hit the "Edit Aux" key up top right side, then using the corresponding Fkeys to hit "Dir" (I think F2) and then "WRITE" and that should display the list of files. If not, try "*"(asterisk) then Write after hitting "DIR"

To get it where you can page through it, you would hit the "Edit Aux" key, then using the corresponding Fkey, hit "Edit" (I think F4), then "*" (the asterisk without quotes), then "WRITE key. That should bring up a list of programs, arrow down to the one you want to read and hit "Write". That should take you to the program where you can page through it and write it down or what have you. When done, hit the Fkey that is something like "Edit Quit" - F7 maybe?

To enter a new program in the 5020 I think it would go like this (and again, Im going from memory and have never done it on purpose as I have always just dumped programs in via RS232)

"Edit Aux" key, Edit Fkey, then type in the program name you want - I think max of 8-12 characters? - followed by the extension (.MIN) - such as WIDGET.MIN - then hit the "WRITE" key. That should create the new program and have you on the screen to start typing it in. When youre done, hit "Edit Quit" and that will save it. Now you should be able to find it via the "DIR" explained above. Then to call that into memory - you would hit Auto, F1 (program select), "*" (asterisk), Write, and then a list will appear which should have the program you just created, arrow to it, and hit "WRITE" and it should be ready to roll.

Side note... if you make a change to the program, you have to select it again... as selecting it loads it into memory so you can run it. You can actually run the program AND edit the program at the same time, BUT once you made the change, it wont be "active" until you reload it into memory again. Otherwise it will keep running the previous version that was already loaded.

Again, keep in mind, I have never played with a 5000 control, and only read a little about it, so Im taking a lot of assumptions there. The 5020, I have in the shop and use.

Hope that helps. If Im way off on the 5000 procedures, let me know I should have a 5000 manual around somewhere I can look at and see if I can decipher the proper procedure.

If you dont have manuals for the machines - you might contact your Okuma dealer and see if they will send you PDFs of the operation manual or if they will walk you through doing it on the phone or something. My Okuma dealer is amazing and always very helpful... be it the parts folks, service folks, or their tech line that helps with more in-depth stuff.

Wade

I just remembered something. Go to Edit, extend (F8) until you find Scheduled Program Select. Press the soft key for that, then press *Enter and it should list them....maybe.

R

As handy as using the "* Write" method is for viewing files, please remember that you cannot use the * method when deleting files. If you go and hit "delete *", instead of seeing all of the files like "edit *" shows then allowing you to select one, it will delete every .min (not IGF which is what I was trying to do) file that is not protected. Protect your files, and to un-protect them since there is no button for it I believe you hit protect, type the file name, then I believe it is either :C or ;C. It basically means, protect-cancel (unprotect).

We were able to get some of these small books that Okuma calls "Operator's Pocketbooks" for the older machines and the little books are fantastic for just these types of questions. They are control specific, but if you call your local dealer they can order them. If they say they don't make them anymore that's not the case, you just have to find the right person to ask. They are only like 30-40 bucks but have TONS of info on them and are very valuable.

As handy as using the "* Write" method is for viewing files, please remember that you cannot use the * method when deleting files. If you go and hit "delete *", instead of seeing all of the files like "edit *" shows then allowing you to select one, it will delete every .min (not IGF which is what I was trying to do) file that is not protected. Protect your files, and to un-protect them since there is no button for it I believe you hit protect, type the file name, then I believe it is either :C or ;C. It basically means, protect-cancel (unprotect).

YES!!! GREAT ADDITION! I too learned that the hard way... * in delete... yeah its not a "choose your file" deal... its a "delete them all and we arent going to ask if you are sure either" type deal. Thanks for bringing that up! I forgot to mention that.
Wade

YES!!! GREAT ADDITION! I too learned that the hard way... * in delete... yeah its not a "choose your file" deal... its a "delete them all and we arent going to ask if you are sure either" type deal. Thanks for bringing that up! I forgot to mention that.
Wade

Thankfully we didn't have many files on there so I was able to just punch them back in in a couple hours.

*, Write lists all the files. Whilst *, Delete erases all the files!!! I just don't get it. What kind of upside down logic is that? :dunce:

*, Write lists all the files. Whilst *, Delete erases all the files!!! I just don't get it. What kind of upside down logic is that? :dunce:

You're making my mistake sound dumber than it was. To be fair....
Edit, *, Write - lists all of the files then you scroll and select the one you want to edit by hitting the write key again.
Delete, *, Write - just deletes all of them instantly with no opportunity to select anything.

So you can see why I would think it would behave differently.

Did you suddenly turn British? :D

I am British.

Edit, *, Write - lists all of the files then you scroll and select the one you want to edit by hitting the write key again.
Delete, *, Write - just deletes all of them instantly with no opportunity to select anything.

It's a switching to OSP from something else, therein lies the problem. Once OSP is the right one, and everything else is stupid as fuck, everything OSP makes sense.

PS, I've deleted all my files too. :)

I am British.

It's a switching to OSP from something else, therein lies the problem. Once OSP is the right one, and everything else is stupid as fuck, everything OSP makes sense.

PS, I've deleted all my files too. :)

Kinda like Mazatrol vs g-code.

Yeah thats how it got me too...
Program select in Auto Mode: *, WRITE = list to choose program from
Edit: *, WRITE = list to choose program from
Delete: *, WRITE = everything go bye bye - no list.

But, it only took me once to learn it, and it wasnt a catastrophic loss just a bit of an "aw crap - well now I know" moment. :D

Ive only ever had OSPs for lathe controls, but to be honest, I went from a 3000 to a 5020 - so had a leg up on the programming side, but having a monitor where you could see more than one block of code at a time was something new :D

I think the OP would have had better feedback with a better title. "LB-15 Bar pull cycle" has literally nothing to do with the question. Except that it's an Okuma.

R

Back