What's new
What's new

Okuma LB15 OSP5000 Spindle will only turn slow

Davma

Plastic
We recently purchased an older LB15 with an OSP5000 control, has Fanuc drives in it. Cannot get the spindle over maybe 100 RPM in auto or manual.
Everything worked when we made the purchase, somewhere between delivery and setup we can no longer control the spindle speed. Had multiple technicians in to look at it, no luck.

Had multiple technicians in to look at it, no luck.

Not trying to be a dick, but WTF are you getting at? Were these "technicians" like lube and tire techs? I assume they didn't get paid for their time. Any technician that I've met wouldn't just walk away, and say shucks, don't know.

In MDI enter G50S2000, press cycle start. Enter S2000M3 press cycle start. Let me know what happens.

R

What is maybe 100 RPM? Does it work properly when commanding speeds less than 100 rpm?

I'm not familiar with the OSP controls but do they not display the actual RPM?

You are in G97 correct? I could see G96 causing something like this if you are sitting at a large diameter.

Check to see if the door interlock switch is giving the correct signal to the control.
Check for the keyed switch (on the control face) for the door interlock to be on/off.

Do as Rob suggested, and try the MDI route.

There is some info on what the interlock will allow, or not.
Okuma Alarm-A 1770 Door interlock - Helman CNC

Doug.

Guys the OSP5000 is a control from the early '90's. Meaning the machine is from then also. There wasn't an RPM limiter back then. Only go or not go.

R

Not trying to be a dick, but WTF are you getting at? Were these "technicians" like lube and tire techs? I assume they didn't get paid for their time. Any technician that I've met wouldn't just walk away, and say shucks, don't know.

In MDI enter G50S2000, press cycle start. Enter S2000M3 press cycle start. Let me know what happens.

R

We tried the MDI sequence listed above a while ago. no change

We tried the MDI sequence listed above a while ago. no change

Try putting M44 in MDI then the same commands from above. Add G97S2000M3, instead of S2000M3

So, when you do that, exactly how many RPM is the spindle turning? And what happens when you input half of that RPM? What happens with G97? What happens when you turn the spindle knob on the front of the control?

R

Slower RPM slows the chuck, but faster will not go any faster. G97 did not do anything, spindle control knob does not have any affect either

Slower RPM slows the chuck, but faster will not go any faster. G97 did not do anything, spindle control knob does not have any affect either

You're not doing yourself any favors by being vague.

Try posting something like this.

If I command 1000 RPM I get 100.
If I command 100 RPM I get 100
If I command 50 RPM I get 50

Or maybe you get 5 RPM when you command 50 RPM.

That might point someone in a direction to effectively help you.

Is anyone in your shop familiar with operating a cnc lathe? Not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering so people can lean either towards troubleshooting the machine or the operator.

Does the machine have different gears?

Our multus has 4 gears and first gear has Max
Rpm of 213.

Try MDI M42 and see if you get More rpm.

Atleast with osp-300 gear commands are
M41,m42,m43 and m44

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A6003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Is there an RPM limiter when the chuck isn't closed?

Do you mean when the Chuck is open, or do you mean when it isn't closed? :)

Either way, no. It only has open and closed signals. And will not run if it's not getting the right one. Technically it would be called ID or OD Chucking, but you get the idea. No RPM suppressor in any way. Go or not Go.

R

Input the M44 as suggested above, no change.

Timing it with a stop watch,
At an input of 10 RPM, actual spindle speed RPM = roughly 1 RPM
At an input of 20 RPM, actual spindle speed RPM = roughly 2 RPM
At an input of 100 RPM, actual spindle speed RPM = Roughly 6-7 RPM

Max RPM is 40-45 RPM no matter what we input,

It's been about 10 years since I touched an LB15, but I only remember the M41 for low gear and M42 for the high gear, there wasn't an M44.

Check the G50. Unlike a Fanuc control, the Okuma G50 is MODAL and will stay resident in memory regardless of what is programmed in MDI or a program. MDI, G50S2000 enter, cycle start should do it.

Input the M44 as suggested above, no change.

Timing it with a stop watch,
At an input of 10 RPM, actual spindle speed RPM = roughly 1 RPM
At an input of 20 RPM, actual spindle speed RPM = roughly 2 RPM
At an input of 100 RPM, actual spindle speed RPM = Roughly 6-7 RPM

Max RPM is 40-45 RPM no matter what we input,

Is it a C-Axis Machine?

Back