What's new
What's new

Okuma LC 30 stops in the middle of a program

tbaatald

Plastic
We have a Okuma LC 30 lathe build around 1990. The problem we are having is when we start the program, change tools, start moving, then stops, it may dwell for 3 to 8 seconds, then moves, it may run the 6 to 8 minutes program fine to the end. Sometimes it stops again. It does not stop in the middle of a cut. It may run a number of programs fine, then it is a stop and start cycle.

Any thoughts, besides the machine is old, thinking the start button.

Thanks for your time.

I don't think it would be the cycle start button. Once you press that, it starts the cycle running, but I don't think there's anything it could do to stop the cycle. Does it only happen after a tool index? If so, I'd guess there's a switch in the turret that's going bad.

OSP?

If it is dwelling mid cycle, most likely it's not getting a turret confirmation from either of the turrets - OR - one of the turrets isn't at home and it's getting a little nervous about where that turret is.

OSP?

If it is dwelling mid cycle, most likely it's not getting a turret confirmation from either of the turrets - OR - one of the turrets isn't at home and it's getting a little nervous about where that turret is.

Agree that is one of my thoughts, something is not right with the turret. Seems to happen after a tool change most of the time. Had a bad crash a couple of years ago plus being 30 years old.

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with Doug. If the turret isn’t getting the clamped signal, it won’t move. But dissecting your comment, you had a bad crash a few years ago and you are still running the machine. That makes me smile. We have 10 “green” Okumas and while we go to great lengths to avoid testing the Big Bang theory, they will take an impact. I have an LB3000, OSP300 control (which I loooove). OP1 on the LC30, OP2 on the LB (live tooling, Y-Axis goodness) and good luck telling the surface finish difference from the 7 year old machine from the 1986 machine.

Back