What's new
What's new

Okuma MC-V4020 Tool Magazine Zero

VTM

Hot Rolled
So during a Backup attempt before changing the batteries on this machine we managed to dump everything. I have the backup floppy from the machine Install and have re-installed the control software and loaded the info off the backup floppy. So now the control powers up fine for the most part. At the MSB registration we get error 5258 no subprogram file. I have no Idea what subprogram file it's referring to. Hit the Input key and It passes the MSB fine. X-Axis jogs. But the Y and Z are locked. Positions in the Home position screen look correct for the Y and Z tool change. Tool belt wont move and the manual interrupt light for the tool belt doesn't light. I think the magazine has lost It's zero position and needs reset. I have all the manuals but no procedure. Hartwig service totally unwilling to make an attempt over the phone to reset this thing. They just want to send a tech. If that's what I have to do that's what I'll do. But I'd rather not If I don't have to. Anyone have the procedure? Or Insight on re-setting this thing?

By the way this is a 2005 with the 32 tool option

disregard the sub program error on startup.

As for the magazine, go around to the side, (doors closed) turn the switch to manual and jog the magazine.
Sometimes the magazine gets stuck in-between locations, so that could be your issue.
And don't forget to turn the switch back to auto or whatever it's called.

EDIT:
Another thing to look for... check to see if the tool pot is down, or maybe the prox switch isn't reading that it's up. This will prevent magazine movement also.

The tool pot is not down. The magazine will not jog. When you turn the Manual Interrupt switch usually the LED lights up. It doesn't now. The machine was Idle when this happened. So nothing should be hung mid movement.

Hmm.Does the machine register that it's still in the tool change sequence? I think there are 256 steps to the sequence.
Return Cycle Start do anything?

I can 1 step advance up to step 6 and it stops. No Axis movement during that. I get several errors in machine diagnosis.

15102 Spindle tool outer cylinder unclamp LS is not on. (MANUALLY CLAMPS UNCLAMPS FINE)
15325 ATC Is not start position
15412 Air blow adapter is working
15716 HP1 is not completed

If an encoder has ever been changed since the original install backup was done, the system parameters will be different now. The install backup was also done with everything at home positions, like the magazine being at tool number one. If the magazine was not at number one when you lost everything, then that would explain why it needs to be referenced, and the same with HP1.

I know it sucks to pay for a service call, but that is probably your best option right now. I tried to find a procedure for your ATC but came up empty. What control do you have?

Best of luck, Daryl

New Discovery, If I let the ATC sit at sequence #6 It generates->

Alarm 3705 ATC system condition 901
During execution of the ATC(AT-ATC)cycle, ATC input Information does not match the ATC sequence advance conditions. (Indicated in the ATC input logic chart) in three minutes.
(Index)
None
(Character-String)
None
(Code)
XYZZ
X=None, Input conditions are not turn on.
=1, Input conditions are not turn off.
Y= Hexadecimal number of the byte number in the logic chart
ZZ=Bit position in the logic chart

The control is an E100M and the magazine is at tool 21 position but the control thinks its at 7. I have changed a z-axis servo, but the encoder was not changed. The Home position numbers for the X,Y and Z tool change positions look good.

And I will add that the X,Y and Z were at home when this occurred. It's my understanding that data is contained in the servo anyway.

Something similar happened to me. When I reinstalled the backup of the parameters the ATC arm was 180* out from what was saved in the parameters. The machine alarmed out. I couldn't figure it out so I called a service tech friend and he fixed it in 10min.

My machine is same year, same 32 tools, same control. I accidentally erased the memory disk and had to start over. Good thing there was a backup of the machine software on the flash card or I would have been stuck.

I can 1 step advance up to step 6 and it stops. No Axis movement during that. I get several errors in machine diagnosis.

15102 Spindle tool outer cylinder unclamp LS is not on. (MANUALLY CLAMPS UNCLAMPS FINE)

I have a 4020 that had this alarm keep popping, wouldnt tool change sometime, would stop about 8 seconds after the spindle started in the program...i changed wires and prox switches, finally had okuma look at it and they guy said he would have to get someone more mechanical as his area of expertise was electric.. short story long there is a threaded collar around the outer cylinder that gets read by the prox switch as the clamping moves up and down(just like a small collet lathe..on my machine this collar was just "free" so the centrifugal force and vibrations would move the collar up and down hence moving it off the prox switch....needless to say after all the wires and switches and service call it cost me about 10 cents worth of loc tite.. havent had that issue in 6 years running

Something similar happened to me. When I reinstalled the backup of the parameters the ATC arm was 180* out from what was saved in the parameters. The machine alarmed out. I couldn't figure it out so I called a service tech friend and he fixed it in 10min.

My machine is same year, same 32 tools, same control. I accidentally erased the memory disk and had to start over. Good thing there was a backup of the machine software on the flash card or I would have been stuck.

Yeah, It's more than similar. That's exactly what happened to me and the flash card is how I recovered the software. I did have the factory backup on floppy as well. I had a tech walk me through the tool arm re-zero a few years back. It's not hard and only takes a few minutes. I'm positive the machine just needs the magazine straightened out and we will be ok. But the tech I got on the phone made ZERO effort. All he could do was cry about how long he might have to be on the phone and that I would be better off calling in a tech. I'd like to at least run through the zero resets before doing that. I have read the thread you started on this subject and was hoping you might have more Info. You don't have your Buddy's number by chance? Maybe I'll post a rant on my thoughts regarding Hartwig's service after I get this sorted out.

The control is an E100M and the magazine is at tool 21 position but the control thinks its at 7.

Have you tried redoing the tool pot locations so that pot 7 is in the ready position? I can't remember the page you do this on offhand.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can tell it pot 7 is staged when pot 21 is actually staged because you can't lie to the encoder. Resetting the tool pot info in the control doesn't change which pot is actually staged. Or maybe I'm missing something.

I have changed a z-axis servo, but the encoder was not changed. The Home position numbers for the X,Y and Z tool change positions look good.

The home position numbers do not change if you replace a servo motor but the zero offset needs to be calculated. If the flash card backup was after the z-axis servo swap you should be ok. If not you need to reset the zero offset for z-axis. That is the only thing that has to be changed, the home positions will be good if the zero offset is correct.

I have written down the Z-Axis zero offset at the time of the servo change and the machine reports the same z offset number at this time. The same one It's been running with. But the control thinks the tool mag is at pot seven and the magazine encoder is reporting pot 21 and I'm no expert, but I believe that to be where the logic conflict is.

Ok, with Daryl's help and ZERO From Hartwig. (They still haven't returned my call from 8:00 this morning.) I have restored the tool mag operation and set It to the correct pot. All Axes jog now Tool mag operates manually and displays the correct pot. Now to set the Z Zero Offset and I should be In business again.

Back