What's new
What's new

Okuma MX-45VAE OSP-700M Tool Change

2lmaker

Cast Iron
I can't get the machine to perform a tool change. I've always had umbrella type tool changers. My other machine is a Cadet-Mate with same control. As long as there is a tool in the carousel in MDI a simple M06 T# and machine performs tool change. With the umbrella type tool number always lines up with Pot #
With the MX since it has side arm tool changer the tool numbers don't need to match. But I was trying to load tools into the magazine by inserting in spindle and tool change into mag. In MDI I type M06 T# and I get alarm saying to many "T"s.
I've tried using procedure in manual. Machine acts like it wants to but just sits idling like it's waiting for more info. I deleted existing tools in menu but then it said tool doesn't exist.
Thanks for any help
Rob

It's because there is already a tool staged.
Let's say that it's T10 that is staged, it cannot execute T1 M6.

Just do an M6.
Or
(I can't remember the procedure on that control) try to find something like Reset Sequence in the ATC area on the control.
That will un-stage the tool.
There should also be an M code to unstage the tool, but I don't know what that is offhand.

And you're right, Pot # doesn't matter.

Not 100% on the 700. But if the control panel has ATC advance and ATC reverse buttons, then you can look at one of the screens that tell you the sequence you ate on. There are 21 sequences for the TC. See which one you are on, and use the advance/reverse buttons until you are at zero.

Some are mechanical events, so you need to wait a second, before you go pushing the button like a 2 year old with a Nintendo.

R

Try using G116 Txx instead of m6. the macro seems to weed out any problems with tool changing and which tool is staged. I have a crown 4020 and mx45, both have issues with the M6 code

When in doubt as to what the ATC is waiting for, go to the machine diagnostic page and it should tell you what is wrong. The link below explains what happens with each step in the tool change sequence that Rob was talking about and if you do what he said you can see what step the tool change is stuck on. Be very careful as the tool change arm will move even with the door open. What this means, if you adjust a prox switch that the ATC is waiting for it might complete that sequence.

MX-45 ATC sequence numbers

With the help of you guy's that responded and an application engineer I know I was able to perform a tool change.

Couple things
litlerob1 the advice of waiting was well founded as I thought I had waited plenty of time and was ready to start switching to diagnostics when low and behond it changed tools. Wonder why it is so slow.
Also about looking at the sequences that does help to know and be able to set it back to 1

Tay: when I typed in G116 TXX I got an alarm stating " sub routine not found"

I manually cleared all the previous tools just to learn the difference between the 2 machines as I change tools often.

Thanks again.

I was even confident enough to put a vise on the table. Maybe I'll try one of my programs and see what happens
Reason for buying the MX I was hoping to be able to use programs universilly. One negative I found after getting it home is the machines use different pull studs.

You should be able to find a working TC macro online. Just make sure it's the right one for your Machine. G116 isn't necessarily the designation, but it's the factory G-code to call up the Macro. So it's common.

Your programs are NOT Universal for an Umbrella changer and a side mount. The Tool calls must be in order and staged in order. Or manually edited.

R

OK, I have the G116 tool change program from OKUMA. Now having issues trying to set it in the Library. Applications tech sent some directions but they must be from a different era control as none of my screens match. I'm using OSP700 manual ( tech sent latest version)
I renamed the file to G116.LIB as per rename function and can see the G116.LIB file in directory. When I go to Library though I can't find it.
Anyone have the proceedure for adding a .LIB file for tool change on OSP7600M

Thanks

Thanks
I saved those programs. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't find the G116.LIB I saved in the LIBRARY P.SET folder.

I saved it in MD1 as a .MIN file from a floppy ( haven't been able to get communications set up with the MX but that is a problem for another day )

Then renamed it as a .LIB file, now it appears in the machine directory as .LIB but when I try an call it up in LIBRARY P.SET I get a error

I can't remember the procedure right this second. (Edster probably knows). The file extension should be .SSB not .LIB.

Also I don't think it should be in the MD1 or MD0 (Main Directory) folder it needs to be in the FD0 (Floppy Drive) folder, maybe FD1 but I think your control is too dated for FD1.

R

So tried a few more things. According to manual under LIBRARY P.SET I need to key in LP PROGRAM NAME,FILE NAME

I assumed program name is OTC and FILE NAME is G111.SSB

Now I get ALARM 5223 PROGRAM BUFFER OVERFLOW

Guess I better let this rest and get some work done.

Thanks again for help

Rob

Success!
I tried again this morning and even though I wasn't seeing exactly what the manual said I would see. I was able to load the G116 tool change program and then put it in macro parameter as instructed.
So far so good

Thanks again for the help
Rob

2lmaker, could you please post the exact, step by step procedure you used? Someone will be able to use the information in the future.

R

The instructions are in the link I posted. The file is saved as a .lib file in the MD1 directory. The buffer size has to be larger than the .lib file/files that the machine automatically loads. The name (oword) of the program is put into the parameter screen where its referenced to the g111 or g116.

I use g111 for toolchange, g112 for tool length set, g113 for tool breakage detection, and g114 for an operator part load position. All these macros are in one program to keep things simple. The renishaw measure cycles are in separate programs. The buffer size needs to be big enough for all the .lib files.

Good luck!

Back