What's new
What's new

Okuma OSP 5020m helical interpolation parameter

tamm248

Plastic
Is there anyone that can tell what parameter I need to turn on to be able to helical interpolation. OSP 5020M control.

Well according to the manual it says that helical interpolation is optional. Also I can't get it to do it. on a g3 line it gives me an error if i put in a z move.

On OSP5000 you have to edit one of the .POL files. Since the OSP5020 is a slight update of the OSP5000 I expect it would be similar. Which file, what address needs to be changed, and what the updated address value needs to be are likely only known to higher level Okuma techs. It's not easy like on Fanuc controls of the same era. I'd bite the bullet and contact Okuma for price and availability. Would be interesting to hear if they can/will sell control options for a ~25 year old control.

Out of curiosity, do you have a file MAS00-00-A.POL in BB0: ?

I can check tomorrow. I do have another question for you since you seem to know stuff, how do you run a large program out of bb0. i have a program stored in bb0 that is 50kb and every time i try to open it in auto it gives me a buffer error. is there any way to change the buffer so i can run the program.

I'm kind of more into the service side of CNCs and less about operations. From what I recall about OSP5000 is that you can not execute a program larger than your configured max program size regardless of whether stored in BBO: or BB1:. To get around that I remember some folks using a function called Schedule Program. The large program is broken into bite sized chunks and stored in BB0:. The the Schedule Program function would execute each program in the schedule. I also think that you might be able to use the CALL function and write the small program chunks as sub-programs. Again, the small programs would be stored in BB0: but the calling program would be run from BB1: and often using the default A.MIN file name. Seems to me that you can specify BB0: as a path in the CALL function.

Read these suggestions with caution. It's been 15 plus years since I last worked on an OSP control and even longer since the last time I ever had to more than the simplest operations on one.

That .pol file contains the control configuration. In most cases, when I had to deal with configuration changes, an Okuma tech would load an updated .pol file. There are editing tools on the control (not documented in any user information) that allow the .pol file to be edited. What address needs to be changed, and what the updated address value needs to be to enable helical interpolation are likely only known to higher level Okuma techs. I do not have that information.

Ok well thanks for the information. I hope maybe someone might stop in this thread and offer that information.

I asked the tech working on the Multus a couple weeks ago about adding helical and he kinda rolled his eyes and mentioned it wasn't a simple thing. Sure hope someone shows that it's not because I'd love to have it too.

I asked the tech working on the Multus a couple weeks ago about adding helical and he kinda rolled his eyes and mentioned it wasn't a simple thing. .....

He was not BSing you. I don't have the info for helical, but I have added and removed the scale option for a 4th axis. It literally is a full page of steps to jump through editing files in binary and shit.

He was not BSing you. I don't have the info for helical, but I have added and removed the scale option for a 4th axis. It literally is a full page of steps to jump through editing files in binary and shit.

I just fired up my MC4va I got here at home a month ago and found out helical does work on it, just not the one at work evidently. Still need to figure out the code for multiple laps though. Tried in as a sub with Q4 and it errors as incorrect arc info but runs the same code as a single pass.

Okuma does still support those controls. I have an OSP 5000 and they still have upgrades for it. I'm a little surprised helical interpolation isn't standard, but it should not be a lot of money to install.

There should be a folder in the electrical cabinet that shows what options are loaded on it. On the two that I had it was not and I suspect that it was an upgrade on most. I asked Hartwig about in one time about ten years ago and they said that the software update came from Okuma Japan and if I remember right it was in the neighborhood of 5K. I was trying to use it for thread milling with a single point tool and just ordered a dedicated threadmill for the size needed, broke the helical into point to point in .002" increments and it ran fine. Memory is tight in those old machines but you can normally find a work around.

Back