What's new
What's new

Okuma OSP7000L LB15 II MY spindle won't start in manual mode

hanimex

Plastic
Hi

I bought a LB15II MY from my old employer, It's been a couple of years since I operated it and during that time it's developed a new quirk. It won't start the spindle in MANUAL mode which is going to become a real nuisance.:angry:

I can start the spindle in MDI but as soon as I switch to MANUAL the spindle stops or MID AUTO MANUAL the spindle stops and the S.T.M light flashes. Once I'm in MANUAL or MID AUTO MANUAL the spindle JOG,CW and CCW buttons are effectively useless, they beep and in the DATA CHECK page you can see it's getting the signal but there's no movement from the spindle. Everything works as it should in AUTO mode but again, if I change to MID AUTO MANUAL the spindle stops and S.T.M starts flashing. Results are the same with the M spindle.

I'm pretty new to this machine so any advice would be superb.

Many thanks

:angry: Don;t get mad at the machine, there's probably nothing wrong with it, this is OE. :D

Manual and Mid-Auto work a little differently, so lets deal with one at a time. In MANUAL mode; 1. Chuck on the workpiece (sometimes 2x, Chuck-unchuck-Chuck). 2. Check that the Proximity switch on the draw tube, closest to the Operators side is lit, while the one on the far side is NOT. 3. In switch to MDI, enter and activate a max spindle speed (G50 S2000) Cycle that. and enter an S command (G97 S500) and cycle that. 4. Switch back to Manual mode, Turn the Chuck by hand to make sure M110 is not engaged, and press the Spindle CW button.

There are other elements that could effect you, like if your tailstock condition is not correct. But if you do 1-4 and the Spindle still doesn't run, check back and I'll see what I can do.

Robert

:angry: Don;t get mad at the machine, there's probably nothing wrong with it, this is OE. :D
OE is hands down the best CNC I've ever used, I'm not mad just learning to understand it:). I'm sure it won't be something major.

Thanks for your reply. The proximity switch for OD clamping is lit and the switch on the side for ID clamping is not. I ran through 1-4 with the same results.
I tried doing the same but with a M157( Tailstock Interlock Condition OFF) at the start and it still wouldn't start the spindle in MANUAL mode. I've got all the manuals with the machine so I'll start looking through parameters:reading:

I started comparing my DATA CHECK screen to the one in the manual. Input 2 HEX 80 bit 7 was different and it's the spindle stop. My one was ON and when I pressed the spindle stop button it turned OFF. So I started the spindle in MDI and held the spindle stop button down, changed into manual mode and the spindle stayed on as it should, when I let go of the spindle stop button it the spindle stopped. I can hold the spindle stop button down and use the spindle as normal in MANUAL or MID AUTO MANUAL.
So it seems to me that my spindle stop button is open when it should be closed and closed when it should be open? Is there anyway to switch this around? a parameter somewhere?

What I do is go into MDI s400 m03 CYCLE START, now switch to MANUAL and hit CW/CCW.

Works for me, if it doesn't some thing else is wrong.

I started comparing my DATA CHECK screen to the one in the manual. Input 2 HEX 80 bit 7 was different and it's the spindle stop. My one was ON and when I pressed the spindle stop button it turned OFF. So I started the spindle in MDI and held the spindle stop button down, changed into manual mode and the spindle stayed on as it should, when I let go of the spindle stop button it the spindle stopped. I can hold the spindle stop button down and use the spindle as normal in MANUAL or MID AUTO MANUAL.
So it seems to me that my spindle stop button is open when it should be closed and closed when it should be open? Is there anyway to switch this around? a parameter somewhere?

Sounds like you figured it out, BUT I need to say that I think that is pretty strange parameter to change. It's not like people just go in and start changing random data bits (please no horror stories people). Before you change the parameter bits, check that the User Parameter for Chucking is selected OD, and the User parameter for the Tailstock is selected as Not in Use.

Okuma OSP uses a Ladder just like any other Motion Control software, controlled by data bits. In my experience the ladder logic is really consistent from Machine to Machine and very thorough, mostly because Okuma doesn't have a control that needs to please other MTB's, it's theirs. Honestly I have never needed to change data bits on OSP, unless we were reinstalling Hard parts with different output range (like putting a 30hp motor in place of a 25hp). So I don't want to advise you on changing them, even though I have been all through Fanuc data bits, and am not really shy about changing them.

I would be willing to bet money that it is not the data bits!!! But I've lost bets before. Just be Five times positive that it's not in the User parameters that are in fact, set-up to be changed, or the Machine parameters that are also set-up to be changed by qualified knowers of stuff and things. But if everything looks right, then change the Hexagonal. From 0 to 9 are different answers, go slow and be thorough. OR call a tech. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

R

Thanks Robert

I've diagnosed it but I cant find how to fix it.I'll call a tech tomorrow and see if I can get it sorted. I'll let you know the fix

Very odd fault. A board in the control had been changed, there are two jumpers on the new board SW2 and SW3 they were on the wrong pins. One controls the spindle stop button, the other the reset button (should beep when pressed, not when released). Switched them over and everything works as it should. Great result.

Very odd fault. A board in the control had been changed, there are two jumpers on the new board SW2 and SW3 they were on the wrong pins. One controls the spindle stop button, the other the reset button (should beep when pressed, not when released). Switched them over and everything works as it should. Great result.

You should track down whoever did that and kick their ass, show them what Rugby means. What a stupid thing to do. Glad you figured it out. Welcome to Practical Machinist.

R

Back