What's new
What's new

Old CNC machines networking

YoadShikary

Plastic
I while back I inquired about anyone networking old CNC machines...that is, changing connectivity from Serial RS232 to Ethernet even if the machine doesn't support it.

Nobody seemed like they were doing it but a few expressed interest.

Just to update, I've retooled one of our locations this way (more to come) with good success.

While there's a lot of Serial to Ethernet device servers available, the one I selected after my research was the Serial to Ethernet Connector.

Professional Serial over Ethernet Connector Software

Support for newer operating systems as well as great customer support. and also have remote access far beyond the location of the machine

Question: Why consider networking this old stuff if it's still working?
Answer: Most of the IT guys now days aren't as familiar w/Serial RS232 communications making troubleshooting slow and difficult, especially if you are supporting a remote shop as I do. Moving this stuff to use Ethernet networking allows me to more easily support it remotely. Additionally, if your company's machine can't communicate via Serial RS232, it's a small user base and IT doesn't seem to jump on these things like they do if the company's network goes down.

I have machines that range from 1983 to 1995. RS-232 is the only way to go on these old warbirds. I can get Quicklink and other DNC products from GlassHouse software to work very well.

Back