What's new
What's new

Old Fanuc Monitor Dying

Krispee

Plastic
Hi all.
We have an older Fanuc Wire EDM which has a CRT monitor. This monitor is dying and arbitrarily switches off while machining although it doesn't affect the machining, which carries on as if nothing has happened. A quick switch off and on temporarily solves the problem, but it continues to switch off, only the monitor mind, not the machine. After a quick look an engineer told me the monitor was on its way out so it got me to thinking about hooking the EDM up to a newer LCD screen.
I did read up on another thread here about a CRT to LCD conversion but that was a while ago now so thought it better to start something new.

A sync-converter was mentioned, not sure if this is the way to go, but connecting up an LCD screen to our 30 year old EDM doesn't appear to be straightforward.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kris.

Fleabay will list a lot of LCD drop in replacements. Chinese, of course, but they do seem to hold up. I have 3 in service and one in the box. $80-100. Just get the number off your monitor to search.

Most,if not all, monitors offered by US dealers are the same product with obscene markup.

I have a 96 vmc with an Om, smallish monitor about 8" square that out of the blue stopped working about 6 years ago. At the time drop in lcd's seemed really expensive and a used one wasn't worth the risk.
I decided to go the "crt" to vga adapter route. If I remember the adapter was about $75.00 and you didn't need an electrical engineering degree to install.
I used a 14" vga monitor, made an arm to hold above the original display and then blocked the original hole with an aluminum plate.
The good part is that its bigger and easier to read.
I do have to tilt my head slightly up to look at it, but I saved maybe $1000 at the time.
Only thing that bugs me is the screen is not directly over the soft keys

I'm not sure what type of signal is driving your crt but you might try a gonbes GBS-8219 converter off of amazon and an lcd screen to go with it. That converter supports about 4 different kinds of input signals and is fairly easy to set up.

Fleabay will list a lot of LCD drop in replacements. Chinese, of course, but they do seem to hold up. I have 3 in service and one in the box. $80-100. Just get the number off your monitor to search.

Most,if not all, monitors offered by US dealers are the same product with obscene markup.

I found this on ebay:
CGA/EGA/YUV/RGB To VGA Arcade Game Video Converter Adapter Card For PDP LCD CRT | eBay

That the sort of thing you were referring to? Just buy an LCD screen and plug and play?

@camaro_dan67 - Gonbes doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, at least not on Amazon, of course I'm from the UK so maybe that's why.

Fanuc drop in's seem to be a bit pricey, although I'll keep looking. I really would like to use LCD not VGA, if I can anyway.

Well, having done some research I have come up with a couple of smaller problems. The monitor drop ins are only 8 or 9 inch whilst my monitor is more like 12, not a big deal. The power connector though is a 4 pin on the drop ins but only a 3 pin on my edm monitor.
edmmonitor2.jpg
How would that work?

Hello Krispee,
FAPT was Fanuc's conversational for Lathe and Wire EDM in the day. I suspect that your control is a FS10 or FS11 control. FAPT was an option; accordingly, you could have a coloured 14" monitor without FAPT, which is what you probably have.

Regards,

Bill

Ah, right, thanks for the information. Can you tell me if I did buy one of those drop-in monitors, would my 3pin power cable work with the 4 pin power connector on the drop-in monitor?
I'm looking for different solutions as well, just seeing what's available to me. Apparently you can also fit a vga connector on the end of the Honda 20 pin connector on my system, just have to figure out what I can fit on that.

If you have the wiring diagram you should check the cables to the monitor. I have a Slant Jr. with FANUC 0T-C and the video signal is MDA (monochrome display adapter) which is video, horizontal and vertical sync. The newer 0T-C has colour with red, green, blue, horizontal and vertical sync on the Honda 20 pin. The H and V syncs are on the same lines, I believe the MDA video is on the CGA red and the blue and green are not used (MDA).
Gonbes makes a cheap CGA/EGA to VGA board and a more expensive one for MDA to VGA (because CNC machines used it). If you actually have CGA video then the converter board and any VGA monitor will work.
The three pin is power, the Honda is the video signals. On mine I think the power is 24 or 28 volts DC.
You can buy open frame monitors that have a mounting frame which makes replacement easier than a desk monitor but cost more. Over here a lot more because they are used in industrial machines but bought from China (where they are made anyway) only slightly more.

Is there any chance of reviving this thread as I have a Fanuc 14" color crt that has failed on 10T control. I've removed the crt and wired a cable to convert from the Honda 20 pin to a vga cable but so far I'm not having any luck. Have I only got half the story right? Do I also need a some kind of video standard converter? I read in another thread the signal voltage peak to peak may be to high but I'm unsure as others have said the signal level is not a problem the monitors are fussy regarding the timing. I need more info or I'm going to be swapping monitors until I find one that works which could be a fruitless exercise. Oh now I've just read there are parameters for video to, I'm going to be stuffed as I cant get to them, no working screen ;o(

Last edited:
I think I've found the answer from another thread here I overlooked " Important to note the display mode. I plugged it into a new Samsung screen and it wouldn't sync. Screen needs to support 55Hz Vertical"

Well I tried 7 different monitors today and only one would display a picture, so I can claim some success. The problem now is it cuts off the bottom of the display showing the soft key functions.

Back