What's new
What's new

Older Fanuc M11 controller / drive / motors - toss? rehome?

motion guru

Diamond
We are going to do our first Sinumerik One retrofit - and converting a machine from 208V to 480V at the same time. That means we are pulling the entire control cabinet, drives, motors, etc. and setting aside. It is a fairly large machine so these are not likely to be of much use to most people looking for spares.

Any thoughts on what I should do with this stuff?

Fanuc 11M Model A Controller
There are 4 smaller Servo Drives that run Fanuc DC Servo motors (24A rated @ 37Nm, 1200 RPM)
And two larger Servo Drives that run the spindles - 15kW units
And the Operator interface which looks well worn but serviceable

Also a 75A Sweo DC Servo drive that came off the X-Axis, but I am fairly certain we know what we will do with that.

Is this the kind of thing that is of interest to end users or should I see if repair places have interest in this kind of gear and which ones would anyone recommend?

I have bought replacements for old Fanucs from ebay sellers. That's probably not something you're going to bother with. Most of those sellers are folks that are basically machine scrappers.

Just for a point of reference the most recent Fanuc 11MA parts I have bought was a motherboard for $400 shipped, a 1meg bubble board for $100 shipped, and an I/O board for $125 shipped. Not a lot of money in this unless you are moving some volume.

Ken, please don't dumpster that. I don't know anyone currently in need, but would absolutely hate to see it get recycled. You are not talking about scrapping the Yancey head and all that are you? If you are considering tossing it, I'll take it and work on finding someone that needs some spares or a repair. Did you contact TIE to see if they had any interest in buying it?

Not scrapping the Yancey heads, we will be replacing the motors with 480V units. And until I googled TIE, I had never heard of them. I’ll give them a call next week.

Back