What's new
What's new

Older (?) Kenna Face Mill

Ox

Diamond
KSSR300SE45C4

It doesn't come up on Kenna's site.
I had to go back to a 1987 catalog to find anything like it, but those had those cheesy clamps like they put on the TPG boring bars - that were made to sell new bars everyday - remember those? (ATP?)

This unit has real wedge clamps and pocket shims!
It's only a 3" cutter.

DSCN2217_zpsyz3wq0x9.jpg

I am not 100% sure where it came from, but may have come in with some VMC's I bought many years ago?
I don't know where else it'd'a come from?

So - the question here is:

"Is this thing worth having?"

Does anyone else still use one like this?
What for?
Are the inserts available?
Are the POCKETS available?

???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hard to answer worth. How much money are you willing to spend on inserts? That will determine its worth I guess.
Most people here will say to just toss it (including me)
But if you can find some inserts dirt cheap or free and you can make money with facing some 1018 or Cast Iron, then use em up.

From the pic, it looks like the most generic of inserts that people use on bridgeport 2" (roughly) face mill type cutters. I don't know the designation, but maybe you can find it here...?

Insert Designation Chart - provides ANSI and ISO designation code definitions for carbide insert shapes, relief angles, tolerances, chipbreaker codes, hole types, size values, thickness values, radius values, wiper lead angle, wiper clearance angle,

Like these maybe..?

Seco Solid Carbide Milling Inserts SPER1906ZETR-M17 Grade T350M Qty 10 24024 | eBay

Sorry if that isn't helpful.

Not sure on the pockets and/or the backup insert thingy,...

Well, the older ('87) catalog shows similar cutters that take an SPC-422 or SPE-42xxxxx inserts.
Both of which pop up on ebay.

But I have no idea how they would last, or cost per cubic inch removed, or ???

My main bitch with the old cutters that took the old TPG inserts like this is that you couldn't clamp them and hold them in worth a Shiite.
But lookin' at this thing, with the replaceable shims and the wedge clamps, it looks like a high end cutter - at some point in history anyhow.

So I was wonderin' if folks had had better luck with these?
But then since the 1998 catalog doesn't list anything with this type inserts, maybe take that as a hint?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have an old 4" Iscar cutter of the same style. With modern grade inserts it works just fine, nice light cutting action just like any modern high positive 45deg facemill. These are a huge upgrade from the TPG style.

Yes, the inserts are held securely, which leads to the biggest issue with those wedge clamp style holders - the clamps are easily overtightened, end then the heads of the screws rounded out when trying to release it again.

Inserts are likely either to be SE*N or SP*N depending on the rake angle and size. Both are readily available from any of the big names, and should be right at the cheaper end of the insert scale. Tungaloy are very good for continuing to make older inserts in modern grades, and have a good selection of both of these.

KSSR300SE45C4

It doesn't come up on Kenna's site.
I had to go back to a 1987 catalog to find anything like it, but those had those cheesy clamps like they put on the TPG boring bars - that were made to sell new bars everyday - remember those? (ATP?)

This unit has real wedge clamps and pocket shims!
It's only a 3" cutter.

DSCN2217_zpsyz3wq0x9.jpg

I am not 100% sure where it came from, but may have come in with some VMC's I bought many years ago?
I don't know where else it'd'a come from?

So - the question here is:

Does anyone else still use one like this?
What for?
Are the inserts available?
Are the POCKETS available?

???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Looks like it's time to call Curtis......

Back