What's new
What's new

Older Makino still a safe buy?

wheelieking71

Diamond
I am considering a 98' vintage Makino V55.
I have zero Makino experience. None since I knew what I was doing anyways (spent a couple years swapping Bendix compressor housings on an A55).
Anyways, the price is right. The machine seems clean. I am going to inspect soon. The manuals are said to be there.
But, what about parts? Does Makino still support the older stuff? I know Fanuc will support just about anything they ever made (been there, played that).
But, I don't know about the iron (steel)? Ball-screws? Solenoids? Sensors/switches? Cables/harness's? Whatever's?
I have never dealt with them. And, short of a few very old threads on here (07'ish), there is not much info in the way of this subject.
Maybe my search skills suck? IDK?
But, I am sure there are more than a few guys on here running old Makino iron. What can I expect if I were to have to deal with them?

Is this the one you are going for ?

V55 | CNC Vertical Machining Centers
| KDCapital

Recently had a nice "Exchange" with Vanbiker and he seemed to indicate that Makino were very good at integrating older machines in cells with much newer equipment.

I think there is someone on this forum that had a lot of experience with not so great early spindles that had to be replaced but that may be on Ps 95 and maybe some initial issues with an F5... (The PS 95's initially were manufactured in Singapore.).

The V55 is bridge style as you know and is really accurate.

Honestly best thing to do if you are worried is contact Makino directly and ask them... In terms of legacy parts etc. Present a worst case scenario and figure costs.

If you are able to inspect the machine under power then could save you some grief. I believe there is $4K inspection "Package" for some machines that some vendors provide I think KD capital can arrange that also.

Honestly a v55 looks like a pretty sweet / decent machine.

Good point about Fanuc.

Makino V55 (1998) 牧野 - YouTube

Here's a random video of someone in Tokyo selling the sh*t out of 1998 V55... Seems pretty convincing and if the machine is not "clapped" out should be pretty damn accurate.

Have fun storming the castle !

Just as a "brain fart" It could be that an old V55 is a safer buy than a NEW Makino in some instances.

Just a thought.

The shop I retired from had 11 Makinos dating back as far as 1986 when they were called LeBlond Makino. The 2 oldest machines were pretty large 5 axis mills. I had to buy a new ring and pinion for the B axis on one of them about 10 years ago. They had them on the shelf in Ohio. About $20 grand, though that's pretty much par for a precision ground ring gear that's 3 feet in diameter and matched pinion.

Based on my experience though... Unless the machine is poorly maintained or abused, you won't be looking for parts very often.

Things like solenoids, sensors, switches and such can usually be sourced though other suppliers for less cost.

Would this be an addition to the shop or a replacement for one of your current verticals?

We got the same machine in Cat40. Its still holding up but could use some y linear guides. Still makes good parts we just dont finish critical dimensions with it. Id say it is still a relevant and capable machine.....

Back