What's new
What's new

OneCNC, FeaturCAM or HSMWorks? Which one is your favorite, and why?

Diego

Plastic
The shop I am working at currently has no CAM software whatsoever, which really slows down production. I am looking into buying a software that works well with Solidworks and our HAAS TM-1 Milling machine. We primarily do sheet metal boxes and aluminum modifications along with more custom jobs on demand. Although MasterCAM is the most widely used, because of its cost I am looking for other options and from the research I've done online OneCNC,FeaturCAM, and HSMWorks appear to be the best mid-priced options.
What is everyone's opinion on these CAM softwares? What are some of the positives and negatives? Which would you most recommend?

I've been a SolidCam user since 2005 or so. It's pretty damn good, very powerful, with great support. Its GUI isn't as good as HSM, but it's waaaaay more powerful and has a much more promising future. I'm not afraid to try other software and frequently beta test and trial various software, so I'm not afraid to change. Check it.

Yes I am, I mixed solidworks and masterCAM in my head, thank you for pointing that out I fixed my original post.

FeatureCAM is best imo. Fastest, ease of use is awesome, learning curve isnt bad, and the post processing is impeccable.

I've been a SolidCam user since 2005 or so. It's pretty damn good, very powerful, with great support. Its GUI isn't as good as HSM, but it's waaaaay more powerful and has a much more promising future. I'm not afraid to try other software and frequently beta test and trial various software, so I'm not afraid to change. Check it.

I understand that HSM is considered very intuitive but what exactly do you like about the HSM GUI?

FeatureCAM is best imo. Fastest, ease of use is awesome, learning curve isnt bad, and the post processing is impeccable.

Is it true that FeatureCAM has some problems with geometry creation? Or is that just for certain types of CAD files?

HSM Express works fine for me, if you only need 2.5D it is free.

We would need 3D milling based on many of the requests received. HSM premium also seems like a good service and I have already received a reasonable quote. Would you happen to have any experience with any of the paid versions?

The shop I am working at currently has no CAM software whatsoever, which really slows down production. I am looking into buying a software that works well with Solidworks and our HAAS TM-1 Milling machine. We primarily do sheet metal boxes and aluminum modifications along with more custom jobs on demand. Although MasterCAM is the most widely used, because of its cost I am looking for other options and from the research I've done online OneCNC,FeaturCAM, and HSMWorks appear to be the best mid-priced options.
What is everyone's opinion on these CAM softwares? What are some of the positives and negatives? Which would you most recommend?

Does your requirement for sheet metal boxes have a special need to compensate for stretch/ compression or do you intend to figure all that out manually?

Is it true that FeatureCAM has some problems with geometry creation? Or is that just for certain types of CAD files?

I only use parasolids or inventor files so I have had no issues with this... I'm assuming you're talking about extracting geometry from solids. As far as drawing it is super simple.

Does your requirement for sheet metal boxes have a special need to compensate for stretch/ compression or do you intend to figure all that out manually?

We never really worry about the compression or expansion as the boxes never get hot/cold enough for it to matter. Why do you ask?

We never really worry about the compression or expansion as the boxes never get hot/cold enough for it to matter. Why do you ask?

I'm referring to how much metal stretches when you form it around a corner. The dimensions of the inside of the box are therefore different than the outside of the box and neither set of dimensions equal the nominal dimensions of the sheetmetal laid out on the flat.

Not true at all.
"Drawing" in featureCAM is super simple, and very fast.
Extracting geometry from solids, again, simple and quick.

The biggest problem with FeatureCAM is autodesk.

Not true at all.
"Drawing" in featureCAM is super simple, and very fast.
Extracting geometry from solids, again, simple and quick.

The biggest problem with FeatureCAM is autodesk.

What do you not like about autodesk? I ask because HSM and FeatureCAM are my favorites of all the CAMs I've looked at and both are owned by autodesk. Is there something to watch out for from the company?

I'm referring to how much metal stretches when you form it around a corner. The dimensions of the inside of the box are therefore different than the outside of the box and neither set of dimensions equal the nominal dimensions of the sheetmetal laid out on the flat.

My apologies I should have been more specific, we modify sheet metal boxes we do not make them ourselves. So the stretching of the metal during production is not really our concern.

What do you not like about autodesk? I ask because HSM and FeatureCAM are my favorites of all the CAMs I've looked at and both are owned by autodesk. Is there something to watch out for from the company?

They are doing everything in their power to move away from any perpetual licenses, to a subscription only platform across their entire product offering.
Including raising maintenance fees on existing perpetual licenses. It is unethical, and a bullshit move based entirely on greed.
Then they insult every-bodies intelligence by trying to justify it. When it doesn't take a very smart person to completely understand why they would want to do this.
The insulting of our intelligence pisses me off as much as the actual plan of action does.

They are doing everything in their power to move away from any perpetual licenses, to a subscription only platform across their entire product offering.
Including raising maintenance fees on existing perpetual licenses. It is unethical, and a bullshit move based entirely on greed.
Then they insult every-bodies intelligence by trying to justify it. When it doesn't take a very smart person to completely understand why they would want to do this.
The insulting of our intelligence pisses me off as much as the actual plan of action does.

How much are you willing to bet that the subscription model is the only reason HSMworks and FeatureCAM are in his price range?

I'll take my cake now, thanks, and i'm going to eat the fuck out of it.

Back