What's new
What's new

Open door CNC Lathe accident...

Thanks for sharing Brent.

I see very few machines that still have the key bolted to the door. When I worked for the Company there was a place to report any safety violations like door keys unbolted and stuck in the interlock. I only checked the box once and got bitched out and caused a lot of hard feelings with the customer. None of the service techs write up customer violations like this.

I guess this is a good safety topic. Should a service tech write a violation if he worked on that machine? How would you feel if you were an owner and a service tech wrote a violation on your machine?

Is this posted anywhere else one doesn't have to be a Facebook member to see it? It keeps asking me to login to watch the video.

I know I am way out of touch not being on Facebook but I just don't have the time or interest. Thanks guys.

I don't know, interesting question? Here I bet it'd be mandatory for a tech to red tag the machine for safety issues.

He has it open pretty far but I remember when this was how I/we run before they bought mist collectors.

Man I've done several things I wouldn't do today. Sorry I don't know if it's on YouTube or not.

Brent

At my last shop the I disconnected the saftey door latch on the Haas VF3. It was super limiting as a user (I understand its there for a reason). Being a Haas its had quite a few techs there paying it a visit. Most didn't care except one. He said I can re-hook up the saftey or he can do it and charge me before he works on it.

I'm assuming this was an accident and that wasn't supposed to happen, thought the guy was lucky he ain't dead. But I don't know maybe he wasn't lucky, you're right getting thumped in the noggin is unlucky.

Brent

I want to join fakebook to see that about as a much as I want to take a flying chunk of metal to the head.

Nope.

I want to join fakebook to see that about as a much as I want to take a flying chunk of metal to the head.

Nope.

What the hell is peoples strong aversion to Facebook? You (and not just you, lots of folks here) refuse to join because...? There is no stipulation you have to join with your 'real' email and name. There are lots of Facebook accounts that I am sure are outright fake (as in trying to run scams or whatnot), and probably a fair number that people really use, but don't use their name or their "good" or legit email for.

Holy shit balls.

Thats just stupid

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

How do you know it was stupid?? All we see is a lathe with an open door (kind of like an engine lathe that has NO guarding at all :rolleyes5:) and a piece come flying out. Maybe the chuck was faulty from manufacturer, maybe a hydraulic line was leaking and it finally gave out... Maybe, just maybe, they were doing everything right* and something actually failed/quit working.

* We can argue that right would be having the door closed, but I am sure we (or most of us) have all done something "suspect" in trying to get a job done, or just being lazy.

Is this posted anywhere else one doesn't have to be a Facebook member to see it? It keeps asking me to login to watch the video.

I know I am way out of touch not being on Facebook but I just don't have the time or interest. Thanks guys.

Here's a link to the Video. The link Yardbird posted is the mobile link and they always try to force you to join, the desktop link doesn't suffer this affliction.

I've worked on very few machines that didn't have the safety switches bypassed. It's like forcing a car mechanic to work on an engine with the hood closed.

This is stupidity played out in real life. He's DAMN lucky he didn't wind up dead.
That said, when I worked for Doosan, if I went to a customer's plant and saw door interlocks that were overridden, I had to either leave and write up why, or wait in the parking lot until they reinstalled the keys. They are there for a reason.

This is stupidity played out in real life. He's DAMN lucky he didn't wind up dead.
That said, when I worked for Doosan, if I went to a customer's plant and saw door interlocks that were overridden, I had to either leave and write up why, or wait in the parking lot until they reinstalled the keys. They are there for a reason.

I don't get this whole mentality of 8 bajillion safeties and switches and keys and modes...

I started on a bridgeport that did not give a shit how/when/why I turned it on/off. Sure, it's not a 30hp machine, but at 2hp it could certainly take a finger or 3, break bones, etc. If I reached for the brake, and accidently hit the on/off switch (saw a guy do that while holding the wrench for the collet)... whoops! :(

Same thing, probably worse, with gear driven engine lathes. No (or not many) safeties there, just common sense and a LOT of respect for the machine to keep you safe.

How do you know it was stupid?? All we see is a lathe with an open door (kind of like an engine lathe that has NO guarding at all :rolleyes5:) and a piece come flying out. Maybe the chuck was faulty from manufacturer, maybe a hydraulic line was leaking and it finally gave out... Maybe, just maybe, they were doing everything right* and something actually failed/quit working.

* We can argue that right would be having the door closed, but I am sure we (or most of us) have all done something "suspect" in trying to get a job done, or just being lazy.

I have no problem with the door being open some to walk in a tool when I'm doing it. Sometimes you just can't see through the windows. The problem I see is the door is almost wide open and he doesn't even attempt to shield himself behind the door. The other problem is he didn't tell the idiot talking with him to f off so he can pay attention.

How do you know it was stupid?? All we see is a lathe with an open door

The fact that the manufacturer took the time to reinforce the door window with lattice is a good indicator that there is a chance of high velocity objects exiting the chuck against the operators will.

What the hell is peoples strong aversion to Facebook? You (and not just you, lots of folks here) refuse to join because...? There is no stipulation you have to join with your 'real' email and name. There are lots of Facebook accounts that I am sure are outright fake (as in trying to run scams or whatnot), and probably a fair number that people really use, but don't use their name or their "good" or legit email for.

The trick to Facebook is not following people, just looking at CNC user groups, vids of trucks and pics of scantily clad women. And guns, lots and lots of guns.

I guess this is a good safety topic. Should a service tech write a violation if he worked on that machine? How would you feel if you were an owner and a service tech wrote a violation on your machine?

It's a good question. I work on a lot of older machines that have been monkeyed with so much it's hard to say what safety equipment was supposed to be there in the first place.

I guess to me it requires a judgement call.

An older, slower, machine parked in the tool room and occasionally run by a few highly skilled guys: you could probably take off all the guards and never have an issue.

A lightning fast production machine being run by a high school kid over summer break: a two foot thick concrete wall around the machine might not keep him safe.

On that note, I was driving last week and stopped for a drink. A Ford diesel truck died at the traffic light in front of where I was parked. He could not get it started. I had some tools with me and I was prepared to give the guy a hand. Then I looked at the load on his trailer.

014.jpg

That's probably a 10,000 lb machines and not a chain or strap in site. He can call a tow truck.

Back