What's new
What's new

Opening chuck

bob

Titanium
I have a Nakamura TMC 15 lathe with Fanuc 18T control. This machine at one time had a bar feed so I assume there is a code to open close the chuck but I can not find reference in the manual. Is there an M code to do this and if so would it depend on the type of bar feed?
Thanks
Bob

Should be M68 Chuck Close M69 Chuck Open. But it can vary as Mtndew said.

As the others have said, could be anything. You won't find definition of most M-codes in the Fanuc manual because the machine builder determines the function of M codes within their ladder program. Look in a Nakamura programming or operation manual. Most builders try to use the same M codes across their range of similar products, but even that is not guaranteed.

My lathe uses M34 and M35.

Try to find an old barfeed program from that machine. Or look at the 8000/9000 programs, there might be a program in there that has the code.

I don't think there are any M-codes that could do harm to a sitting machine. I would just input 1-99 in MDI if I could not find a list. I doubt it is a 3 digit one.

I do not think the type of barfeed would affect the M-codes used for opening/closing the chuck.

Are there any old programs in the memory you could look at for reference?

Along the lines of what Dualkit said, you could write some incrementally-increasing macro and just watch it until the chuck opens:

;
#500=1
;
N1
;
M[#500]
G4U1.
;
#500=[#500+1];
;
GOTO1;
;

hmmmm, but I wonder if you would get an alarm with, say, M3 without an associated "S" word :scratch chin:

Good luck with your new machine!

I don't think there are any M-codes that could do harm to a sitting machine. I would just input 1-99 in MDI if I could not find a list. I doubt it is a 3 digit one.

Not necessarily true. Some builders have interlock cancel or maintenance type M codes within that range. If you actuate them, then stuff like opening the chuck when the spindle is running or doing a toolchange without the head being at zero return become possible. A good example is some Mori Seiki machines use M31-M35. Makino, knowing that folks might poke around blindly at M codes, made their maintenance codes high 3 digit numbers. Less likely that someone would stumble onto one and create a dangerous or damaging action.

Again, the machine tool builder defines what most all the M codes do. Because of that it is not a real good idea to blindly try activating them.

Not necessarily true. Some builders have interlock cancel or maintenance type M codes within that range. If you actuate them, then stuff like opening the chuck when the spindle is running or doing a toolchange without the head being at zero return become possible. A good example is some Mori Seiki machines use M31-M35. Makino, knowing that folks might poke around blindly at M codes, made their maintenance codes high 3 digit numbers. Less likely that someone would stumble onto one and create a dangerous or damaging action.

Again, the machine tool builder defines what most all the M codes do. Because of that it is not a real good idea to blindly try activating them.

Wouldn't cycling through numbers in sequence turn them on and then back off again? So no harm no foul?

Wouldn't cycling through numbers in sequence turn them on and then back off again? So no harm no foul?

Again, up to the builder, so only if they made them to act that way. In the Mori example, M35 has no cancel code. M31 is canceled by M32 and I do not recall about M33 and M34. M35 is pretty innocuous on most of their machines. It clears tools from the spindle back to the magazine and updates the PMC parameters accordingly. On their M300 series it can leave the transfer pot engaged with the magazine. Then the next magazine rotation whether manual or programmed causes a PITA jam-up to untangle.

The point being, there can be risks to blindly activating M codes where the function is not known or understood.

I have a machine that uses M codes for tool positions, but the machine is very simple, all 8 tools on the same gang assembly without a sub, so no chance of an accident arbitrarily punching in M-codes.

We have 5 Nakamuras, 3 with Fanuc 18i controls and two with 16TT. All of 'em use M11/M10.

I think if you took a poll M10/M11 is by far the most common. I would just punch that in and see what happens.

Back