Opening chuck
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Opening chuck

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Regina, Canada
    Posts
    2,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    82

    Default Opening chuck

    I have a Nakamura TMC 15 lathe with Fanuc 18T control. This machine at one time had a bar feed so I assume there is a code to open close the chuck but I can not find reference in the manual. Is there an M code to do this and if so would it depend on the type of bar feed?
    Thanks
    Bob

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4778
    Likes (Received)
    3149

    Default

    M10/M11?
    M17/M18?

    Generally M codes are different by manufacturer. I'd check with them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default

    Should be M68 Chuck Close M69 Chuck Open. But it can vary as Mtndew said.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    933
    Likes (Received)
    2816

    Default

    As the others have said, could be anything. You won't find definition of most M-codes in the Fanuc manual because the machine builder determines the function of M codes within their ladder program. Look in a Nakamura programming or operation manual. Most builders try to use the same M codes across their range of similar products, but even that is not guaranteed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    767
    Likes (Received)
    2508

    Default

    My lathe uses M34 and M35.

    Try to find an old barfeed program from that machine. Or look at the 8000/9000 programs, there might be a program in there that has the code.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    8,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    4065

    Default

    On my Fanuc 0T it is M68/M69 on the 21T it is M10/M11

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    M11 / M10 on my Nakamura

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    8,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    4065

    Default

    I don't think there are any M-codes that could do harm to a sitting machine. I would just input 1-99 in MDI if I could not find a list. I doubt it is a 3 digit one.

  9. Likes Ox liked this post
  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    730
    Likes (Received)
    401

    Default

    I do not think the type of barfeed would affect the M-codes used for opening/closing the chuck.

    Are there any old programs in the memory you could look at for reference?

    Along the lines of what Dualkit said, you could write some incrementally-increasing macro and just watch it until the chuck opens:

    ;
    #500=1
    ;
    N1
    ;
    M[#500]
    G4U1.
    ;
    #500=[#500+1];
    ;
    GOTO1;
    ;


    hmmmm, but I wonder if you would get an alarm with, say, M3 without an associated "S" word :scratch chin:

    Good luck with your new machine!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    933
    Likes (Received)
    2816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I don't think there are any M-codes that could do harm to a sitting machine. I would just input 1-99 in MDI if I could not find a list. I doubt it is a 3 digit one.
    Not necessarily true. Some builders have interlock cancel or maintenance type M codes within that range. If you actuate them, then stuff like opening the chuck when the spindle is running or doing a toolchange without the head being at zero return become possible. A good example is some Mori Seiki machines use M31-M35. Makino, knowing that folks might poke around blindly at M codes, made their maintenance codes high 3 digit numbers. Less likely that someone would stumble onto one and create a dangerous or damaging action.

    Again, the machine tool builder defines what most all the M codes do. Because of that it is not a real good idea to blindly try activating them.

  12. Likes Nerdlinger, gregormarwick liked this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    730
    Likes (Received)
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Again, the machine tool builder defines what most all the M codes do. Because of that it is not a real good idea to blindly try activating them.
    Okay so maybe ignore what I said

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    8,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    4065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Not necessarily true. Some builders have interlock cancel or maintenance type M codes within that range. If you actuate them, then stuff like opening the chuck when the spindle is running or doing a toolchange without the head being at zero return become possible. A good example is some Mori Seiki machines use M31-M35. Makino, knowing that folks might poke around blindly at M codes, made their maintenance codes high 3 digit numbers. Less likely that someone would stumble onto one and create a dangerous or damaging action.

    Again, the machine tool builder defines what most all the M codes do. Because of that it is not a real good idea to blindly try activating them.
    Wouldn't cycling through numbers in sequence turn them on and then back off again? So no harm no foul?

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    933
    Likes (Received)
    2816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Wouldn't cycling through numbers in sequence turn them on and then back off again? So no harm no foul?
    Again, up to the builder, so only if they made them to act that way. In the Mori example, M35 has no cancel code. M31 is canceled by M32 and I do not recall about M33 and M34. M35 is pretty innocuous on most of their machines. It clears tools from the spindle back to the magazine and updates the PMC parameters accordingly. On their M300 series it can leave the transfer pot engaged with the magazine. Then the next magazine rotation whether manual or programmed causes a PITA jam-up to untangle.

    The point being, there can be risks to blindly activating M codes where the function is not known or understood.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    8,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    4065

    Default

    I have a machine that uses M codes for tool positions, but the machine is very simple, all 8 tools on the same gang assembly without a sub, so no chance of an accident arbitrarily punching in M-codes.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burlington, North Carolina
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    488
    Likes (Received)
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    I have a Nakamura TMC 15 lathe with Fanuc 18T control.
    We have 5 Nakamuras, 3 with Fanuc 18i controls and two with 16TT. All of 'em use M11/M10.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    8,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    4065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aj View Post
    We have 5 Nakamuras, 3 with Fanuc 18i controls and two with 16TT. All of 'em use M11/M10.
    I think if you took a poll M10/M11 is by far the most common. I would just punch that in and see what happens.

  19. Likes Nerdlinger liked this post
  20. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Plainfield, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1383
    Likes (Received)
    958

    Default

    After experimenting with punching in unknown M codes, just shut the machine down and re-start it. Should reset everything to normal start-up conditions.

  21. Likes Ox, Vancbiker liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •