What's new
What's new

Opening up more memory?!

cnczack

Aluminum
I was told by tulip...

> That shows an additional sram module of 768kB for a total stytem sram
> memory of 1MByte; you maybe able to turn on 512kByte or 256kByte,

and that I was able to directly open up the memory and they would show me. Its been about a day and im starting to think they arent going to show me lol. Or maybe they misspoke?

Has anyone ever "turned on" more memory like they are mentioning? Im running a fanuc 18-m "control type 18-c". If so any idea of how to turn it on because im hearing crickets from them since yesterday morning on how to go about it..

I was told by tulip...

> That shows an additional sram module of 768kB for a total stytem sram
> memory of 1MByte; you maybe able to turn on 512kByte or 256kByte,

and that I was able to directly open up the memory and they would show me. Its been about a day and im starting to think they arent going to show me lol. Or maybe they misspoke?

Has anyone ever "turned on" more memory like they are mentioning? Im running a fanuc 18-m "control type 18-c". If so any idea of how to turn it on because im hearing crickets from them since yesterday morning on how to go about it..

Way back in the bad old days, many Fanuc controllers could go "one notch up" from whatever memory they had by merely flipping one of the option parameters. I think that stopped sometime in the 90s.

I used Tulip Memory and was quite happy with them. I have a mint Mori SL-3 lathe with Fanuc 11T-A and it only had about 128k of memory - Tulip gave me 2gb for a very reasonable price.

It's a 9000's parameter that public sharing of is frowned upon. That said if you don't know what you are doing then you are playing with fire. One mistake and you can easily wipe out your control.

If you are going to toy around with option parameters you better have good backups of EVERYTHING including the ladder.

It's a 9000's parameter that public sharing of is frowned upon. That said if you don't know what you are doing then you are playing with fire. One mistake and you can easily wipe out your control.

If you are going to toy around with option parameters you better have good backups of EVERYTHING including the ladder.

Agreed. 100%. You could easily brain-dead a control or create immense havoc from playing around in there.

Way back in the bad old days, many Fanuc controllers could go "one notch up" from whatever memory they had by merely flipping one of the option parameters. I think that stopped sometime in the 90s.

I used Tulip Memory and was quite happy with them. I have a mint Mori SL-3 lathe with Fanuc 11T-A and it only had about 128k of memory - Tulip gave me 2gb for a very reasonable price.

It depends on what card is in the control (for a 2000 18i anyway) and what the memory is set to, sometimes it can be upped a bit, other times it's maxed out already.

2Mb right? not 2Gb :D

Thats what is keeping me from toying with it now. It seems easier to just pay for the upgrade and move on, but its more than worth a try to see what it could do. I have the parameters all backed up but not the "ladder"?

Thats what is keeping me from toying with it now. It seems easier to just pay for the upgrade and move on, but its more than worth a try to see what it could do. I have the parameters all backed up but not the "ladder"?

I used to work for a major MTB, and I can tell you that the quick n' painless way is to pay out a few bucks and get the machine updated correctly. I "really" wouldn't muck around in there if you haven't been instructed on how to. B-A-D things can happen.

I used to work for a major MTB, and I can tell you that the quick n' painless way is to pay out a few bucks and get the machine updated correctly. I "really" wouldn't muck around in there if you haven't been instructed on how to. B-A-D things can happen.

Solid advise. I dont want to take a working machine and turn it into a giant paper weight for the time being lol

Solid advise. I dont want to take a working machine and turn it into a giant paper weight for the time being lol

LOL! Sadly we had a customer do just that. Cost him about $4k plus two days to get the machine operational in its original state again.
I just upgraded my old Mori, and I had backups of EVERYTHING and it still took me a day to get it all buttoned up. Running GREAT now and loads more memory.

I totally agree with this!

The 2ish K they charge is well worth having the procedure to make it work.

I chose the backdoor route because I have a Hitachi Seiki with a Seicos U/I that none of the memory vendors could convince me they had upgraded before, though I'm sure they could have figured it out. The Fanuc side is fairly straight forward but the Seicos the side of things require the memory be broken up and allotted to different functions. The Fanuc firmware also seems to be unique in the control also.

Agreed.

I think that Hitachi went under at some point and someone else (Mori?) handles parts. But the Seicos control is an island unto itself.

Been there done that, if you try to turn on more memory than the machine has it will indeed wipe it out, so do a Sram backup and your safe if you go 1 step to far. proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
At your own risk:
9921 b0 = 1 640m
9921 b1 = 1 320m
9921 b2 = 1 160m
9921 b3 = 1 80m
9921 b4 = 1 40m

If you do not have enough memory to support any of these settings you will have a very bad day...or week.
Do a backup.

It is not always clear how much can be enabled.
Did a service call last Friday on a Fanuc 15A control that showed a BASE0 PARITY ERROR whenever a particular part program was accessed. We were lucky: was able to do a complete backup. Deleted that program, saved the remaining programs and reformatted the part program area in IPL mode. Discovered that only 64k was enabled and doubled that by turning on the correct option (no charge). Left customer very happy.

@CORONA VIRUS; Please delete the content of your post. The forum owner does not want option and configuration parameters posted. Had you read the stickys at the top of the forum you'd have known this. Here is a clip from it....

"No option codes will allowed to be posted publicly... I don't need the forum owner getting calls from machine makers complaining."

If you feel the need to share, please use the private message system.

Back