What's new
What's new

Orange Vise Pallets.........anybody try 'em?

david n

Diamond
So Orange has two different styles..............a plain vise pallet and their Twin Delta Pallets................looks like the standard is not "quick" change? Not able to swap pallets between each cycle start? (I could be wrong?) And the Delta's are "quick" change? I want to be able to load one pallet on the work bench while a 2nd one is running...............is the Delta the way to go? Hafta buy new jaw carriers for that style. Anybody runnin' them? Wadda ya think? TIA

https://www.orangevise.com/pallet-systems/

The standards locate on dowel pins (same as the solid jaws) - I have some on the way to build some fixtures but have not used them yet.

It looks like the deltas are "quick-er change" since you aren't contending with dowels potentially popping out and such; they locate on the jaws.

They say 0.0005" repeatability on the delta, but don't report it for the standards.

I use the twin delta pallets for a bunch of the (rare) volume work I do. I can't say whether they repeat to half a thou, but the parts on them hold to <0.005" for me no problem. I made up a bunch of my own pallets at one point, I want to say it's an odd angle like 70° (I guess in my mind anything that's not 45 or 60 is weird).

What Orange says is the Truth.

But they have a huge vested interest in not promoting standard stuff as too accurate ..
as huge revenues will be at risk if some stuff is shown not to fulfill marketing blurbs.
And potential lawsuits, liability, insurance, etc.
So they Really, Really, Really, are sure that the better stuff will perform to the specs they state.

But all their normal stuff will typically perform just as well.
Typically, 99.x% of the time, but not guaranteed.

If you are making multi-op parts with 2-5 microns tolerances, stacked, and not probing in workflow, you probably need the best available.

In truth, no one does that.
When you need 2 microns in hole sizes and locations you make or buy gages and fixtures and stuff and confirm your stuff is up to scratch.
Glass scales, roller burnishing perhaps, rigid diamond honing, ball sizing, or double reaming, perhaps in-machine lapping, endless options.

This was not about Orange Vice in particular, and in no way negative.
Just an observation on how the industry works.
I would love to get a few of their double vices, but the shipping alone is 300$ or more.

The Pierson pallets are very handy (once you plumb in a foot switch instead of the silly on-table valve it comes with) but they're not what I'd call rigid. Super handy for drilling and tapping pallets of extrusions, but I wouldn't hog much with them. We have three bases.

David, we use the Delta pallets a lot. They are good for what we do. Most of the time I just make one pallet and leave it in the machine, but for some we have two and swap to load on the bench. I like the low cost and flexibility, pallets end up being not much more more than soft jaws.

I get a stick of 6x2 aluminum and make a bunch of blank pallets and use them as needed rather than always buying from Orange, Eric sent the drawing to me but it may be on their site now.

I haven't used other systems like Pierson and suspect they are faster to change, but for us the Delta is great.

I've used the std. quite a bit dave. But, not for swapping. I mount them up, & leave them.
I'm betting repeatability with the std's on pins will be much better than the delta. But, the delta much easier to swap.
Pick your poison I guess. If you can deal with the repeatability of the delta? Go for it.
Personally, I don't like them (the deltas) for two reasons.
One, it is also another set of master jaws to buy. This gets real expensive when your dealing with multiple vises! :ack2:
And, two: the masters are aluminum. Not a fan of permanent fixture stuff made from aluminum.
If you have room between your vises? I bet adding handles to the pallets would make the std. much easier to swap!
Handles front/rear would be even better, but, that would be a long reach!
I just hope its a decent cycle time. as I wouldn't want to have to do it too many times in one shift. Especially if the parts are heavy.
The worst part is, you will have to back the screw out quite a bit to gain clearance from the dove-tails to release the pallet every time.
And, have the screw in just the right spot to clear said dove-tails when dropping the next pallet down.

I don't think they are designed to be hot swapped out. I always use them as just a method of holding the fixture.
The actual clamping of the part would be via pitbull clamps or something.

I have standard and delta

Delta is more susceptible to flex since the middle is unsupported. Use a torque wrench and you should be fine though. I am phasing out the standard because they're difficult to remove and I do really need a quick change and not a quick-enough change. There's much less to clean between swaps on the delta.

Ive been making my own delta pallets. its easy enough and seems to have the same results as from Orange. 30 minute cycles on a brother s700x1 with the longest part being the junky HSS dovetail cutters I found on ebay

Back