What's new
What's new

OT Did anyone see the picture of the Okuma that fell on its side

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
Was just cruzing instagram and saw an Okuma that was toppled over on its side from the IMTS uninstall. I wonder what happens to that, I'm sure someone at the show bought it.Image-1.jpg

I saw a comment about an airbag lifter that failed. Does anyone know how they operate at IMTS regarding who does the rigging? Is it Okuma employees or does it have to be the union?

Was just cruzing instagram and saw an Okuma that was toppled over on its side from the IMTS uninstall. I wonder what happens to that, I'm sure someone at the show bought it.View attachment 238197

most likely it will be disassembled and parts inspected for damage and damaged parts replaced sort of like whats done with older machines sent in for rebuilding after a decade or more of use and are worn out

I saw a comment about an airbag lifter that failed. Does anyone know how they operate at IMTS regarding who does the rigging? Is it Okuma employees or does it have to be the union?

I would imagine there is a rigging outfit contracted to do the work. There is way to much high dollar equipment there along with the risk of damging the facilities, that they would want an insuranced and well respected outfit.

I would imagine there is a rigging outfit contracted to do the work. There is way to much high dollar equipment there along with the risk of damging the facilities, that they would want an insuranced and well respected outfit.
big parts dissassembled get sent to inspection and measured. parts get replaced if needed. normally cheaper than cost of another new machine, to treat it as a worn machine needing rebuilding. usually total disaasembled

I have not attended IMTS for a long time but I heard from exhibitors the union personel do all the moving. I also heard from others that if you don't use them your equipment will be last in last out but I haven't been able to substantiate either of it. I feel bad for Matsuura but if the union is responsible they should pay for every single cent of damage and lost time for Matsuura personel.

They use airbags to lift the machine just enough to get forks under it, unfortunately the air valve got "stuck" in the open position and over lifted the machine off balance. Thats the rumor

Our sales guy said that it was the LB3000 with the gantry loader - probably around $400K. That is going to leave a mark. Whatever happened to toe jacks and blocking every 1/2"?

Our sales guy said that it was the LB3000 with the gantry loader - probably around $400K. That is going to leave a mark. Whatever happened to toe jacks and blocking every 1/2"?

I just heard the same thing from someone that was there and it was an Okuma LB3000 with gantry loader. They also said the Okuma factory techs were responsible, not the riggers.

The riggers at IMTS don't touch the machines. They run the forklifts only. It would have been an Okuma guy lifting it.

I heard no one was hurt, which is good.

The riggers at IMTS don't touch the machines. They run the forklifts only. It would have been an Okuma guy lifting it.

I heard no one was hurt, which is good.
I have been doing this long enough to know of a few riggers helpers killed by just such accidents. Glad everyone was okay. Machines are getting taller and the center of mass is moving up.

I read one time the unionized riggers in Chicago are a difficult lot to work with.

Rigging charges are exorbitant for the builders at IMTS, and with the strict union work rules and job classifications, getting machines in and out can take forever.

AFAIK, McCormick Place requires the builders to use only their specified rigging companies...

Back