What's new
What's new

OT Electrical service upgrade price check

cpifer3

Cast Iron
Long story short, I need to upgrade a service in a new to me building, currently 200 amp 208 3 phase. At the current time im a one man shop, but have some larger machines ( all older, but they serve me well some days, mits cat 50 hmc 40 hp spindle, 24 in swing milltronics lathe around 25 hp I think, jonford bridge mill, 17 hp spindle, a couple 8 inch turning centers, small vmc, etc) The electric company is around 3400 to hang the transformers etc. But the larger chunk is getting from the transformers into the building and into a panel. I got a quote for 12,500 for 400amp and 15,000 for 600 amp. This does not include runs to the machines, just getting it into the building, panel, and breakers etc. Any one got an idea if thats inline with todays prices?? From what I have seen on line, prices vary alot by location etc. For the extra 2500 , would you just go with the 600 amp and be done??

I can't say on the price but I know when you get into that type equipment it is expensive. One thing I would do is get the contractor to break out the equipment cost to see how it breaks down and maybe try to find a used panel with a main breaker and maybe some breakers in it.

yea, Ive noticed when you get into say 200 amp breakers they can be any where from 300 to 600 bucks a pop new, depending on the brand. I dont quite understand why the same breaker from Square D is so much more than say Siemens??

A while back my better half's parents lost power.. Underground aluminum wire.. So while
waiting for the electrician (the electric company was going to charge me if it wasn't their
fault) I started pricing how much it would be if the aluminum wire was shot.. $14k for copper,
$8k for aluminum, and that was just the WIRE for a 200 amp single phase house service, but it was
a long run... Turns out it was the electric company's fault.

So, My question is, how far from the transformer to the building?? BIG wire is BIG EXPENSIVE..

Big breaker panels are also BIG expensive...

When I had 3 phase put in, about 2/3 of the cost was the wire and a new main panel.. The rest was labor
and dealing with the permitting and the electric company (the electric company did their stuff for FREE!!!!)
and I had to come underground, and the electrician hit a gas line.. All kinds of fun.

Not sure if this is any help at all, but I paid right at $30,000 for a brand new, underground 800A 208V service to the meter. That included a new power pole to get across a street and 4 meters for separate rentals. This is in California, about 2 years ago.

For the extra 2500 , would you just go with the 600 amp and be done??

I didn't see this question at first.. But YES, YES I would do that.. If you find the
need to upgrade later, its going to cost you a WHOLE lot more than that.

I might even ask how high you can go at that price and wire size and panel size.. Are you
just over the break point for the wire size, or are you really close to the next break point.
Could you maybe bump up to 800 at that wire size? Probably not, but it might be worth asking.

When you say "New to me building" are you implying you're leasing it? Let me tell you, I fell for that mistake once. In the long run, it would have been cheaper and easier to move somewhere with more power. Not only did I spend a small fortune making improvements to someone else's building, but you get to have the B$S inspector snooping around. Talk about a living hell. Especially if you get one of these clowns who wants to see green tags on every machine. Seriously, that horse shit will put you out of business.

Is it a stupid thought to see if it is cheaper to go 480 with a transformer?

Yea, I checked into 400 amps of 480, and my electric company requires a disconnect before the meter and panel on 480 service, so by the time I buy the disconnect and all the transformers needed I think its a little cheaper to go 208, all my runs will be fairly short, building is only 64 x 40 with 16 ceiling. Guess I just got a little sticker shock, but it sounds like thats just my lack of knowledge on the cost off electrical service on a larger scale.

When you say "New to me building" are you implying you're leasing it? Let me tell you, I fell for that mistake once. In the long run, it would have been cheaper and easier to move somewhere with more power. Not only did I spend a small fortune making improvements to someone else's building, but you get to have the B$S inspector snooping around. Talk about a living hell. Especially if you get one of these clowns who wants to see green tags on every machine. Seriously, that horse shit will put you out of business.

Naw, I took the plunge and bought the building and land (aka got a loan from the bank). I feel I bought it right, it was on its way to the sheriffs auction, but its slowly consuming large amounts of $$$ to get it workable for me. Still feel it will be worth it in the end though ( I know, famous last words)

Is it a stupid thought to see if it is cheaper to go 480 with a transformer?

480V wire needs to be only .433 the ampacity of 208V for the same load however the breakers and panels cost more as the higher voltage requires more air gap for the breaking of circuits and arc suppression during the circuit break.

This gets into cost engineering. No hard and fixed answers. Each project needs to be evaluated as a complete system.

The longer the total wire distance and or greater the load, the more the 480V equipment is favored.

One big downside to 480V is that all of the 120V circuit power needs to come from a transformer.

208 is a favorite in that 120V is easily derived across the legs with no transformer needed.

New breakers are substantially less expensive if purchased new pre-installed in a panel. I would completely fill a new panel with breakers with my best guess of useful sizes and leave no spaces blank.

Your estimate sounds cheap compared to the $60k? we paid to upgrade to 600A 480V service. That included runs to several machines as well. It was amazing how quickly things added up.

Back