What's new
What's new

OT: iPhone 5 CASE Project

Good looking case! I too have been machining my own case for the I4 chasis. Good to know there is another machinine shop out there that is sick of the cheap covers that have been spoon fed to us. No pictures yet because I have not had time to finish it.

Case looks great. I'd try and find a better way to hide the screws IMO.

Easier said than done as there is not much room to work with.

I had a customer approach me two years ago wanting a "sexy" case made from Titanium for the iPhone4. After telling him how it was going to be stupid expensive he said money wasn't an issue and we agreed to continue the project with 50% payment upfront. I made a prototype a couple days later and he was pretty happy with it. Come to find out the case fully surrounds the antenna and interferes with reception, a fact he confirmed with Apple engineers. I never heard from the guy after that... The one I made had a clam shell type hinge and was fastened by two small SHCS's. Had to use some pretty itty-bitty endmills...:willy_nilly:

Good work, Ben.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of putting an aluminum case on a phone that has an aluminum case.

The case is meant to protect the screen in the likely event of a drop onto a hard suface. If the phone falls on the corner of the I-Phone, the screen will crack and the phone is junk. Oh...and the cases look trick!

We made some iPhone 4 cases earlier this year as giveaways looking similar to that. The downside is that you did lose 1/2 to a full bar of reception

The case is meant to protect the screen in the likely event of a drop onto a hard suface. If the phone falls on the corner of the I-Phone, the screen will crack and the phone is junk. Oh...and the cases look trick!

There is a relief in the corner of the case. ip5 relief.jpg

There is also relief in the antenna areas depth wise. It doesn't touch the phone in those areas. That is why it receives signal because it's not obstructed. That is why the iPhone 4/4s doesn't work so well with aluminum cases.

I was wondering about the wireless and phone reception.

With thoughtful design and the addition of a few milled slots and pieces of Kevlar (or similar) in the right places, it might be possible to have no effect on the radio reception.

Good job! I saw in the vid that it looks like you leave the toolpath marks on the inside of the case? If I was you I would definatly leave them there! Looks cool ;)

There is a relief in the corner of the case. View attachment 60660

There is also relief in the antenna areas depth wise. It doesn't touch the phone in those areas. That is why it receives signal because it's not obstructed. That is why the iPhone 4/4s doesn't work so well with aluminum cases.

Nice product and video looks good too. :) I liked the fact you are pricing these at ~ $100 and then mentioned the machine cost is $750k. :D Makes the product's price seem like peanuts and you are giving these away. 99% of people have no clue what it takes to make stuff.

You destructively tested the empty case and it looks strong, but have you tested the case with the phone inside in real world conditions? I am not talking about smashing the phone in a hydraulic press, but normal abuse such as dropping on concrete at 3 meters, 6 meters, and whatever type of abuse case is designed to protect the phone against in normal uses.

Back