What's new
What's new

OT. In Memory of Mitty

ARB

Titanium
It is hard to believe that it has already been a year since we lost our friend Frank Sperl.

I miss the man that I never met in person. He had a way of atttaching himself to us with his written word. He had a unique and entertaining way with the english language that made us all want to read what he had to say.

I know that I learned a lot from Mitty's questions and the ensueing conversation.

I would like to remember him today by recalling some of our favorite Mittyisms.
I pulled off the sub plate I was using and it smells like the Square Inch Dealer was having analsex with hookers under the plate. :ill: :vomit:

Feel free to add your own memories of Frank

God speed Frank.

I hope Cindy and Trina are doing well.

RIP Mitty.:codger:

:)

ARB

I don't have any quick Mittyism's that I can recall off the cuff, but I do miss his infectious personality here on the board.

I hope his wife/ family is doing well.
If anybody has an update on them I would love to know.

Hu, or WMS (I can't remember which one) how goes the telescope mount business?

Doug.

Thanks for starting this ARB, I also think Mitty was one of the great ones I never got to meet. I loved reading his descriptions.

Below is my top choice because it has to do with my two industries of media production and machining:

Well...Well....Let me see. Oh I have it now lets do a show about an occupation that is in decline because no one wants to be a "Machinist" and just for $hits and giggles lets kill the boss off :wall: at the beginning so the indians can run a muck without the chief. Won't they be surprised when there is no one to sign the payroll checks. :hitsthefan: How stupid and totally asinine. :fight: Well it goes to show that there is sick humor.:vomit:

So who over rode the safety interlocks? :scratchchin: Makes me wanna buy a Lathe just like that :wrong:.

How sick has our society become when we take pleasure in others misfortune?:ill:

After watching the show - don't ya feel proud that you are in a profession that people mock?:drink:

Frank S. in Tennessee

Sincerely,
-Brian

Frank, I know you're up there running the coolest fastest machine we could imagine, sprinkle some chips down on us every once in a while, we miss ya.

Paul T.

I agree, I do miss Frank's irreverent rants, and the events of this past year would have given him enough material that he'd never run out. :codger:

I do hope his family is doing well.

Dennis

[FONT=&quot][Press three for Southern][/FONT]

I liked it when he was talking about the (female) sales rep that came in the shop. It was a carbide sales ,material, scrap buyer.... I can't remember exactly. He was really funny. Although I never had a conversation on here with him, it was a pleasure to read his stuff.

RIP 'Mitty

JAckal

By popular request from all you guys that just can't stand it any longer.:D
She stopped by today in her fineness and visited with the old geezer (good for the heart rate and blood pressure) to discuss our metal buys.

Can't stand the suspense?:willy_nilly:

Talked to her about the out of spec SAPA metal that was sent - they will make that right! (Discount for our inconvenience).

We are almost there:drool5:.

While she was here I
gave her a few lessons on how to start the machine, she had never seen a Litz before (poor sheltered life).:crazy:

Come on show the damn pictures all ready!!!1:angry:

I know that Scott showed the baby, but babes are better.:ack2: God we can't stand it any longer!!!

So here she is. Just to make sure that you know she's our metal rep she is holding the metals bible - the data book. She is also standing in front of our machine which she just pressed the go button on (did I say that right?). Kind of tall, open toe shoes and matching nail polish and high heels.

Production31018.jpg

There are days when it is very good to be me. Yes indeed.

Production31020.jpg

:smoking::cool:

Just think it's only Thursday! Almost as good as new machine day.

Frank S. in Tennessee
Here you go.
This was a classic

Its at times like these, that although it is 99% likely that you will never meet your fellow posters*, that you realise what an impact just losing one of them can make

But saying that, so long as we remember them, then I guess they are'nt really gone at all

And one thing sure is certain, when we arrive at the great machine shop in the sky there will be a fight over exactly how you remachine the pearly gates so they auto open and dont squeak anymore ;)

Boris

* or want to meet again :D

PS I want that metal supplier :drool5:

Last edited:
I miss Frank's wit and intelligence. Too damm bad he had to go.

Reminds me of this - "Burns twice as bright but half as long".

%&**(^&%! :angry:

Just went back and read all those old posts a his ... what a character he was.

This 'un here though:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...y-aka-frank-sperl-165940.html?highlight=mitty

... man, that one hurt. :bawling:

... 's kinda hard ta see the keyboard right now fer some reason ...

Checked out the website ... it ain't there no more.

What I want to know is ... did his family get the help they needed?

ARB? exkenna?

The business and the WIP was sold to a forum member who prefers to keep a low profile. Perhaps he will let us know how things progressed. If I remember, there were problems transferring the Litz lease so it "went back".

Last I heard, the wife and daughter were getting along as well as can be expected, under the circumstances.

I miss his phone calls. My wife was with me in the car once when he called and she answered the phone. Evidently he was not expecting a female to answer and the look on her face was priceless.

He and I shared a dream and frequently compared notes. We both started our businesses with practically nothing and thought we would take on the world.
Frank's no longer here and I'm barely here but he sure was an inspiration and I think of him often.

Oh man, do I miss the Mitty.

I believe Mitty died a happy man. He was busy as hell, machining parts for his own product line, on his new Litz vmc, crammed into his garage.

Rest well, my friend.

Back