What's new
What's new

OT: Orange Anodizing. Who do you recommend?

wrustle

Titanium
Looking for a vendor that does Orange Anodizing........NOT special set ups, or........ "send us parts and we'll try to match them".

We have several parts that require orange anodize as a finish, and it seems no one around here does this.

Had a company in Western Mass been doing this for me for years, but had a major falling out recently. Constantly scraping or damaging parts.

Despite the fact we're a family owned and operated business, we always got the standard reply......"that's how they received them". Right.....the scratch mark down the entire face of the polished part from being pulled off the rack was done by one of us in my shop........you've got to be kidding me.

I've had enough........

Later,
Russ

Connecticut Annodizing in Bridgeport Ct. All the parts I have sent them were for black but i know another guy that has had them do all kinds of colors. Very professional outfit. I stopped in to see them last fall when I had to go up to RI.

Connecticut Anodizing & Finishing -HOME

I asked around a lot and this is the place that was recommend , even by other anodizing shops that only did black.
I haven’t used them myself, I’m slowly putting together a pile to take there. Looking for Blue

If you use them please post up your thoughts. I’m not looking to get a pile of banged up parts either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Following as we will soon need a supplier that actually cares about the product they are coating.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Despite the fact we're a family owned and operated business, we always got the standard reply......"that's how they received them". Right.....the scratch mark down the entire face of the polished part from being pulled off the rack was done by one of us in my shop........you've got to be kidding me.

I've had parts come back from an anodizer that looked like they were obviously dropped on the floor. They claimed that's how they were delivered. When I very profanely told them I was a one man shop so their claim was impossible and I would not deal with liars... That's when I too had to find a better anodizer.

wow over the years I have read complaints about plating and anodizers issues on the east coast and Ca. That sucks. hell little AZ has at least 10 that I know of probably more and we dont have any problems like you guys do. with turnaround finish etc etc
as far as orange its a long way to ship parts, but the guy we used to use here local did a nice orange and usually got the parts the next day.

wrustle,

Not sure how large/small your parts are, but if shipping is not a deal-breaker, then....

Anodize Solutions

They are very good with highly cosmetic parts. The owner is a hands-on, super experienced and very personable guy.

PM

Looking for a vendor that does Orange Anodizing........NOT special set ups, or........ "send us parts and we'll try to match them".

We have several parts that require orange anodize as a finish, and it seems no one around here does this.

Had a company in Western Mass been doing this for me for years, but had a major falling out recently. Constantly scraping or damaging parts.

I've had enough........

Later,
Russ

Russ,
If you don't mind me asking... what happens in a situation where they screw up anodize ?. Do they strip, refinish and re-anodize on their dime ?, or do you remake all the parts and start over ?.

I ask because I'm new to this and about to need some anodizing in the near future. Approx. 500. Parts. I would be extremely pissed if they got damaged.

Thanks,
Matt

10? Name them... I've used a lot of different anodizers here in town and my "won't use because they scrap the parts list" is getting longer than the available anodizers. Just lost 8 pieces I get $200 each for and they anodize for $20 (large part), they scratched up 2, dropped one and bent the corner of the part, and all them had serious etching where they racked on holes and the arcing dissolved big sections of the parts.

My recourse with them is the cost of the anodize, or let them strip and re-anodize... which can't be done and hold close tolerances... and all of my parts are "cosmetic" and have close tolerances, so they have to be the right size as well and not dinged, scratched, god awful rack marks or bent up.

wow over the years I have read complaints about plating and anodizers issues on the east coast and Ca. That sucks. hell little AZ has at least 10 that I know of probably more and we dont have any problems like you guys do. with turnaround finish etc etc
as far as orange its a long way to ship parts, but the guy we used to use here local did a nice orange and usually got the parts the next day.

wrustle,

Not sure how large/small your parts are, but if shipping is not a deal-breaker, then....

Anodize Solutions

They are very good with highly cosmetic parts. The owner is a hands-on, super experienced and very personable guy.

PM

They do all my anodizing. Good guys. Lots of big name customers. They moved into that bigger building and now they need a bigger one.

Bullshit! (that was not meant to be rude to you Del) I have lots of horror stories!
Some from Southwest (pretty bad). Some from Mesa. Some from another the name is slipping me. But the worst one:

Was working with a place called Frontier Teknicote. They were doing a decent job in the beginning. But, their packing was always poor.
Then they merged with Futureweld. And, everything went to shit!
Ultimately they scrapped an entire order of 110 highly cosmetic and fragile parts (they got shipped across the country).
I delivered the parts to them individually wrapped in two layers of dense packing foam. They delivered the parts to the customer:
Every other part wrapped in one layer of brown paper, all tossed loosely in one big box! :angry: yea, seriously! ($2970 parts value)
We (the customer and I) could back this all up with pictures. The parts (all but 3) were completely destroyed.
What did they do about it? Excuses........Excuses.......Excuses.......Excuses........Radio Silence!
Yea, Fuck Fronteir Teknicote! Spineless ass-holes with zero integrity.

This place also did the first few batches of the big production job I run now. They did okay (custom packaging we supplied).
And, would probably still be doing it had they just stood behind their fuck-up. To bad for them as 2000+ parts leave my door headed for anno every Friday. Idiots!

I will not even entertain handling anodize for anybody. No freaking way! It is on the customer now.

EDITED: to remove names (I may have ranted a little to far?)

I used to have good luck with Danco, but since I always will called my parts in their Ontario Ca location I cannot vouch for their shipping department. Looks like they have a location in Indiana now. They used to turn the parts over in 24-48 hours every time at standard rates.

Bullshit! (that was not meant to be rude to you Del) I have lots of horror stories!
Some from Southwest (pretty bad). Some from Mesa. Some from another the name is slipping me. But the worst one:

Was working with a place called Frontier Teknicote. They were doing a decent job in the beginning. But, their packing was always poor.
Ultimately they scrapped an entire order of 110 highly cosmetic and fragile parts (they got shipped across the country).
I delivered the parts to them individually wrapped in two layers of dense packing foam. They delivered the parts to the customer:
Every other part wrapped in one layer of brown paper, all tossed loosely in one big box! :angry: yea, seriously! ($2970 parts value)
We (the customer and I) could back this all up with pictures. The parts (all but 3) were completely destroyed.
What did they do about it? Excuses........Excuses.......Excuses.......Excuses........Radio Silence!

This place also did the first few batches of the big production job I run now. They did okay (custom packaging we supplied).
And, would probably still be doing it had they just stood behind their fuck-up. To bad for them as 2000+ parts leave my door headed for anno every Friday. Idiots!

I will not even entertain handling anodize for anybody. No freaking way! It is on the customer now.

None taken,
we havent used annodizing in about 5 years. we always used advanced and collins.
back in the 80s and 90's we mainly used chem research and hitech plating and one other place for chem film.

Future weld did awsum welding back in the 90's and had a great small solid company. when they got bought out by the guy down the street whos name I will leave out but starts with a "R" they got fucked and everything went to shit when that guy ("R") bought every other business.

I have no horse in this race, as I’ve never had to send anything out for anodizing.

In situations like this, it is important to counter the inherent human tendency to shop on price!

What I do when I need absolute performance from a vendor, is to generally go with the highest bidder.

Why?

Well, you can set down and explain to them they are the highest bidder, and thus I expect only the highest performance on this subcontracting work.

Of course I check a reference or two to insure the high bid is indeed justified.

There are high quality vendors out there for everything, and the good ones know that they are, and they charge accordingly.

ToolCat

Russ,
If you don't mind me asking... what happens in a situation where they screw up anodize ?. Do they strip, refinish and re-anodize on their dime ?, or do you remake all the parts and start over ?.

I ask because I'm new to this and about to need some anodizing in the near future. Approx. 500. Parts. I would be extremely pissed if they got damaged.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Read the post below yours in this thread. That pretty much sums it all up. There is " fine print" in the paperwork they provide, and most if not all state they are ONLY responsible for the cost of the process being done....end of story. You may get them to go 50/50 on a major screw up, but you had better be a continuous repeat customer that sends them work on weekly basis, otherwise......like I said......read the fine print.

Sucks, but it happens.

Get recommendations for the vendor you're considering and if local, be sure to drop off your first order in person and explain exactly what you expect from them and point out any critical features they need to be cautious of.

Doesn't guarantee quality, but it beats letting them decide what is best. If it's not a local vendor, then you just have to know someone who uses them and trust their judgement.

Later,
Russ

Connecticut Annodizing in Bridgeport Ct. All the parts I have sent them were for black but i know another guy that has had them do all kinds of colors. Very professional outfit. I stopped in to see them last fall when I had to go up to RI.

Connecticut Anodizing & Finishing -HOME

I sent out an RFQ today and received an email back shortly thereafter asking for me to define how the parts are going to be packed when shipping them.

How are they wrapped, (with options listed) how are they boxed, and how do I expect them to be return shipped?

First time I've ever been asked this in the 24 years I've been doing this.

I replied EXACTLY how we process these parts for shipping down to every last detail including the sizes of the boxes used and how we double box them for added protection in shipping.

I then explained how I would prefer them to be racked to keep rack marks in places not see to the end user when assembled.

A couple hours later I received a VERY detailed quote explaining everything I wrote above with the rack locations spelled out in the quote so I know for sure they know and understand what needs to be done if and when the parts go to them....right down to notes stating "Save Boxes and packaging materials for return shipment".

I was not only very impressed, but also felt great comfort knowing they care enough even at the quoting stage to provide a detailed route sheet of how they would process my parts, from start to finish.

I'll report back later when the parts go out and come back!

You know...........to be continued............ ;)

Hi wheelie i don't think its a rant, its just you saying the way it is with some companys. If we did work like that we would not have that work long. Thumbs up to you for saying it!!!

Back