What's new
What's new

OT - Scott Kalitta killed today

Tonytn36

Diamond
Funny Car Champion Scott Kalitta was killed today in a horrific accident. I saw the accident a while ago on ESPN2. Motor / car exploded about 150 ft before the finish line at about 300 MPH, car never slowed before hitting the retaining wall at the end of the run off. I don't think he was alive when it hit the wall.

Sometimes parts fail :/

Wow, did not see it, but he was a big player in the drag industry. Used to work for a major mfr of fluid pumps (fuel) for the top dragsters. Not sure if Kalita used them, but anytime someone dies doing what they love, it is a tragedy. Did he have family?

I don't mean to get too existential here, but the racing industry is most dangerous for the drivers; drag or track. At what point does the danger underweigh fatherhood or husbandhood? What I mean is that how dangerous of a job do you have to have before you don't start a family? Soldier, Policeman, Fireman, Race Car Driver, Crab Fisherman, Tree Feller....heck, there's a guy here that would be Smoke Jumper if he didn't have a family.

Just my thoughts that may reflect other's thoughts, but the others are too ashamed to post. :willy_nilly:

Seems like the fuel funny cars are near out of control on a significant number of runs anymore. I remember when they outlawed the fuel altereds as too dangerous, yet I was watching a show a while back with footage from the 60's, and watching Willie Borsch one-hand a fuel altered looked pretty calm as compared to the typical funny car pass of today. I think back then a lot of the fuel altered guys were putting on a show and actually had more control than you'd think... most of the time anyway. OTOH the funny cars today have gotta be a white knuckle and hope deal for the drivers from the tree to the lights on most every pass.

I think many who hear the calling are drawn to it as fate or destiny. I can only imagine how Connie and Doug feel seeing this happen. Flying is another risky business, Connie used to fly some hazardous cargo and understood the risk. Like many I have known; Scott died pursuing his passion. Be it an airplane, car, bike or, boat, unless you have that passion you can't understand it.

Respectfully,

Steve

It's on Youtube. Won't post a link. Any motorsports accident is typically going to be horrific. We all know this. That is why they have such strict regulations for safety. But as we all know, you can't predict everything. May he rest in peace.

Well from someone who was in the Volunteer Fire service for thirteen years and fought every type fire from Petro Chemical at AMOCO in Texas City to house fires, I stopped when I got married and had kids.I drove a three thousand gallon tanker in West Granby Connecticut and was lic. to drive pumpers. For thirteen years it was the rush, when others are running from disaster. You run toward them.

For a couple of years (1970-1971) I also campaigned a B/MP Chevelle at 10.5 on a 10.4 National Record. Unless it was Nationals or some major event the Promoters would book us in as a show item 20 cars, 16 in a shoot out and we knew who would win before hand - it was a show. We did put on a good show though, carrying the front wheels of a 3000# car in the air, chassis torqued to death in an obvious twist - we gave the spectators what they wanted. Thinking back that Chevelle was a violent ride.

I did have a chance to drive what they called an EconoRail which was rear engined and used a stock small block Chevy (327) from a Vette. It was a smooth ride with a high Lockup Automatic and ran mid 9's with me driving, but boy oh boy did that chassis flex. It had more bounce than some well endowed women I know (and have known).:ack2: Nice part was putting it into "D" for drag and mashing the throttle to the friggin floor on the last yeller.:willy_nilly:

It is very unfortunate that Scott passed, with luck he never knew what happened. It's a rough road to be in pain. Used to work the Ambulance at the track in Florida (Dickinson) and saw enough mishaps.

Back to makin chips.

Gods Blessing to all

Frank S. in Tennessee

related - what is a 'fuel altered'?

OK, what is a "fuel altered" and how is different from a Top Fuel car?

(Sorry for the tangent on the tragic thread, but curiosity is compelling...)

Sad for his family, but he knew the risks, you can't drive a car that goes 0 to 300+ in 5 sec. and not expect for it to end very bad one day.

According to the NHRA website, the chassis of the first Marcellus-Borsch altered was built from .049 wall exhaust tubing and used a Model A Ford steering box. They ran that one for about 10 yrs before it got wrecked. Pretty high tech combination for dealing with the 2000 or so horsepower of a blown Hemi on nitro.

The replacement had a pro built chassis which was about 100" wb as compared to the original which was in the 90's like Steve said.

Scroll about halfway down the front page at http://www.wingedexpress.com if you want to see a picture of a fuel altered in action.

I don't mean to get too existential here, but the racing industry is most dangerous for the drivers; drag or track. At what point does the danger underweigh fatherhood or husbandhood? What I mean is that how dangerous of a job do you have to have before you don't start a family? Soldier, Policeman, Fireman, Race Car Driver, Crab Fisherman, Tree Feller....heck, there's a guy here that would be Smoke Jumper if he didn't have a family.

Just my thoughts that may reflect other's thoughts, but the others are too ashamed to post. :willy_nilly:

If one's qualifications for matrimony and offspring production are based on risk assessment I wonder what kind of people we could expect to find in our armed forces?

Maybe we should look at the philosophical approach of the Spartans for a likely outcome.

Vern

if you have to be scarded to do anything then you are not living just waiting for the end to come. and those kind of people should not be the ones to carry on the human race.

Back