What's new
What's new

OT? Slant bed x axis servo break issue

Stirling

Hot Rolled
Is the function of a servo break only to stop movement when the servo is denenergized?

I have a 30deg slant bed lathe (microcut lt-65/fagor 8040 operating system)
My x axis servo seems abnormally warm and has started faulting on the control for axis overload.
Upon dismantling it it is evident the break is remaining engaged while operating (power on disengages break, power off locks up the mag break)

My question is does the break need to be working while the machine is running? What is my risks if I simply remove it? Is the worst case scenario that it would let the axis slide down when power is off? If that is the case I could just swap it with the z axis servo.... get buy until it's replaced

The brake will engage only when the axis is disabled. Removing it will cause the axis to drop to the hard limit every time the axis is disabled (like when the door is opened to change parts).

We had a victor lathe once with a similar problem. After a relatively short amount of use we would get a thermal overload on the x-axis. We found one of the wires going to the brake had broken. Fixed that and all was well

Back