What's new
What's new

OT - What to do when UPS ruins your weekend....

Fal Grunt

Titanium
So I ordered about $600 in tools from Garr, and about $500 worth of tool holders from Mari to get setup and get a job running this weekend. Ordered everything earlier this week so that everything would be here in time. Picked up steel this morning, get home this afternoon and my Garr box is there.... no Maritool. WTH?

Hop online, scheduled delivery is now monday. Give UPS a ring. "Oh, sorry, they miss sorted in Illinois." In the past they have let me come in and pick up a package after hours. "Oh, no, it'll be here, locked in a trailer, all weekend, you can get it monday."

Whatever happened to "guaranteed delivery"? UPS has been so bad the last year or so USPS has had a better track record... pretty sad state of affairs.

So the question is, what do you do when UPS ruins your weekend? I know they don't care a lick about me as a customer. I am not going to bother anyone at Mari tool, even though, in my opinion, they should get their money back since UPS failed to deliver.

I personally do not care about the $16 in shipping, what I do care about is the lost work this weekend. 10 hours on saturday and 6-8 hrs on sunday is a solid kick in the pants. Can I do other work? Ehhh maybe? Machine is already setup for this job, just needed the last few tools and holders to hold them.

:cryin::mad5:

Frustrating!
Take a few minutes to do something you enjoy. Maybe putter in the shop, take a look at some job you've been thinking about for a while, see if you have any new ideas....

Ya know what makes God laugh the loudest? When people start making plans!

I feel your pain and its happened to all of us. My shop phone line has been dead all week and the best ATT can say is that they are working on it.

Fal Grunt,

I know how you feel. It happens to us over here all the time. Either the vendor ships a day lat or the shipping takes a day or two longer. Shippers ( all of them) are starting to show signs of stress. Everyone is busy and running thin for too long.

Fal, let me know your order number. We will refund the shipping and email you a 10% coupon off you next order. Hopefully it makes your weekend a little better knowing we care and stand with our customers. Cheers !!

If you had a subplate on your machine it would only take you a couple of minutes to change to a vise or other workholding device. Monday it would only take you a couple of minutes to switch back when UPS arrives.

Did you pay for Guaranteed shipping or is this Ground? There's a big difference between ordering something regularly, and ordering something with a *Paid for, guaranteed, 100% we're going to get it to you in time* method. We're spoiled by Amazon and such. Shipping by normal means still has some leeway, sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late. This would annoy me if there was a contractual agreement for them to deliver by a certain date, but not if it was Ground shipping and it didn't happen to come within the estimated timeframe.

Times like that seem to be the only time I make myself take a vacation. Can't possibly do the work, guess I'll take the dirtbike out :)

I paid for Overnight shipping twice in February with UPS. One time there was a mechanical failure with the plane, second time they blamed the weather. Neither time did the give a damn about me paying for a service and them not delivering. Their customer service sucks. Of course when you have the volume of business that they have they are still probably delivering 99.99% of their packages on time

UPS freight stiffed me today, had a pickup scheduled since Tuesday for today between 12noon-5pm and they never showed and never called. Just got off the phone with them, they re-scheduled for Monday:angry: and expected me to just wait from 8am-5pm, yeah because I've got nothing better to do but wait for their sorry ass:angry:.

UPS freight stiffed me today, had a pickup scheduled since Tuesday for today between 12noon-5pm and they never showed and never called. Just got off the phone with them, they re-scheduled for Monday:angry: and expected me to just wait from 8am-5pm, yeah because I've got nothing better to do but wait for their sorry ass:angry:.

I had a freight driver come a day late, then go to the wrong spot, then threaten to hold my brand new CNC hostage demanding more pay because of the extra driving he was now doing (because he went to the wrong place).

:)

I have been keeping the machines running for 18 hours per day 7 days a week for months on end. If my UPS driver (or metal supplier) dropped the ball and cost me 48 hours of downtime, I'd probably send them a gift. Then I'd take those two days and do something fun. As it is, I just got another 500 pounds of aluminum that I need to turn into shiny trinkets for delivery next week. You gotta make hay when the sun shines, but take advantage of those down days and have a little fun :)

I'd change my program to reflect the tools I had, if that was an option. Not the most efficient, but better than 0.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Frustrating!
Take a few minutes to do something you enjoy. Maybe putter in the shop, take a look at some job you've been thinking about for a while, see if you have any new ideas....

I laid awake last night trying to go to sleep and realized I have plenty of other things to catch up on, even if it isn't the VALUE of the job I wanted to run. Need to catch up on paperwork, shop needs cleaned/organized, lots of little nagging maintenance and shop projects that I should catch up on.

Ya know what makes God laugh the loudest? When people start making plans!

I feel your pain and its happened to all of us. My shop phone line has been dead all week and the best ATT can say is that they are working on it.
If we find out that is the case, I hope I get some credit for the comedy show that he's been enjoying. :D

Fal Grunt,

I know how you feel. It happens to us over here all the time. Either the vendor ships a day lat or the shipping takes a day or two longer. Shippers ( all of them) are starting to show signs of stress. Everyone is busy and running thin for too long.

Fal, let me know your order number. We will refund the shipping and email you a 10% coupon off you next order. Hopefully it makes your weekend a little better knowing we care and stand with our customers. Cheers !!

Wow! I'm stunned! That means a LOT to a little guy like me!

I wouldn't mind one of those days, as an excuse to go fishing. Been itching for some perch.
:scratchchin:

Join the club. Happens to me constantly.

I think their new slogan is, "Better late than never"

Labor is killing everyone... I think I am on my third driver THIS YEAR.

If you had a subplate on your machine it would only take you a couple of minutes to change to a vise or other workholding device. Monday it would only take you a couple of minutes to switch back when UPS arrives.

Ha! True... but I need the holders... I have used every holder I own except for a 1", a 25mm, and a 3/4".

Any chance of Mari getting a order out today for Saturday delivery? It might be worth the extra charges to you...

It was around 3 oclock my time when I found out, I *think* it was too late, while the shipping charges might have been worth it The double order of tooling would have been tough to stomach...

Did you pay for Guaranteed shipping or is this Ground? There's a big difference between ordering something regularly, and ordering something with a *Paid for, guaranteed, 100% we're going to get it to you in time* method. We're spoiled by Amazon and such. Shipping by normal means still has some leeway, sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late. This would annoy me if there was a contractual agreement for them to deliver by a certain date, but not if it was Ground shipping and it didn't happen to come within the estimated timeframe.

Times like that seem to be the only time I make myself take a vacation. Can't possibly do the work, guess I'll take the dirtbike out :)

Ha! I hear ya. No, it was just ground, nothing special. I haven't had a UPS customer account in almost 10 years, but seems to me, back then, if I printed a shipping label, "delivery date" meant, that was the day it would be delivered by, and on more than one occasion I got a refund because of late delivery.

I paid for Overnight shipping twice in February with UPS. One time there was a mechanical failure with the plane, second time they blamed the weather. Neither time did the give a damn about me paying for a service and them not delivering. Their customer service sucks. Of course when you have the volume of business that they have they are still probably delivering 99.99% of their packages on time

I use USPS daily for shipping, I haven't had a late delivery in almost a year. It is amazing to me how much USPS has improved in the last 10 years and how bad UPS has gotten. BUT, I will not, ever, use over night services. For any of them. I have sent several over night shipments with both USPS and UPS and not one has ever gotten there on time. The fight to get your money reimbursed is more than the money is worth.

It's an unfortunate situation...But...cutting it that close is dangerous, paying extra for Thursday delivery would have been worth it IMO. Me, I'm amazed when anything arrives at all. Depending on UPS or USPS for a time critical delivery is something I've learned not to do.

When we order Amazon Prime in Seattle we get Saturday & Sunday delivery from UPS, USPS and unlabeled Amazon(?) trucks so they are capable of delivering on time.
I was shocked the first time I saw a USPS truck pull up to the neighbors house at 8:30 on a sunday morning.

Uggghhhh UPS freight? Or regular? I had a stack of items to be picked up by UPS a few weeks ago. Driver set my inbound package next to the stack of packages that were scheduled to pickup. That night I drove them over to the depot and asked WTH?! I know the woman there pretty well from business over the years and she just laughed. She shook her head and said.... yea... that driver, he's special.

Drink you fool...or smoke if your a fool.
:D

I had a freight driver come a day late, then go to the wrong spot, then threaten to hold my brand new CNC hostage demanding more pay because of the extra driving he was now doing (because he went to the wrong place).
:)
:eek:

I have been keeping the machines running for 18 hours per day 7 days a week for months on end. If my UPS driver (or metal supplier) dropped the ball and cost me 48 hours of downtime, I'd probably send them a gift. Then I'd take those two days and do something fun. As it is, I just got another 500 pounds of aluminum that I need to turn into shiny trinkets for delivery next week. You gotta make hay when the sun shines, but take advantage of those down days and have a little fun :)

This is true! However.... I would be absolutely ecstatic to have that backlog of work. Especially if your making money at it :D

Well UPS did fine for me today, parabolic drills ordered yesterday showed up today.
:blahblah:

:D

I'd change my program to reflect the tools I had, if that was an option. Not the most efficient, but better than 0.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Well... that works to a certain extent. Except I have no holders to put the tools in! :willy_nilly:

Join the club. Happens to me constantly.

I think their new slogan is, "Better late than never"

With me it is better bent than never. I have received more bent up 1/4" stock this year than the last 5 combined. Of the three, USPS, UPS, and Fedex, UPS is hands down the worse for me. I think the first problem is I am on a rural route that no one wants. I kid thee not, in 8 years at my location I have probably had 3 dozen different UPS drivers. I probably always get the driver with the least seniority or the one in the boss's dog house. It seems during inclement weather (flooding, snow) UPS trucks won't travel the small back roads and leave the packages at the post office to complete delivery. Fedex and USPS seem to keep running back here in bad weather, UPS does not.

A lot of Americans posting on this topic.....funny when we think we are so down and out as Americans. Some clubs call stuff like this "luxury problems". What if you had to have it shipped to BFE brought in on a Mule or whatever. Be grateful for what is, ignore what is not. Or just kick the dog, and flat out cry like a little girl.

R

A lot of Americans posting on this topic.....funny when we think we are so down and out as Americans. Some clubs call stuff like this "luxury problems". What if you had to have it shipped to BFE brought in on a Mule or whatever. Be grateful for what is, ignore what is not. Or just kick the dog, and flat out cry like a little girl.

R

And screw that fancy internet while you're at it!!

Back