What's new
What's new

OT - Wish I had the bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

theperfessor

Cast Iron
Just got an email from my Haas rep. There are two ST-20 turret lathes (2010 vintage) that were consignment machines to Vincennes University. (They've always had a well respected machining program.)

Orignal list at $121k, they want $44k for each one. Haven't seen them but if they are typical school machines they may have dings and dents from inexperienced operators and low cutting hours becaus they aren't used in production.

Hell to be poor sometimes...

If they are around in a month or two maybe I can buy one with the money I'm going to make working for Rajhlinux on his 5 axis something or other.

Why do you want to buy one?

Just make it!

Ask Rajhlinux, it's way cheaper.......;)

Also, inn bee four the Loche.

Wish I had the bucks

Me too. I wake up at least one out of 4 mornings wishing I was a Trust Fund Baby.
Monday is always one of those mornings.

but it wasn't to be. Just the way it is.

I've woke up wishing for lots of things. Some of them are fast, some of them are flashy and
some of them were wearing thigh highs. But I've never woke up wishing for a $45k 10 year old Haas.

Just got an email from my Haas rep. There are two ST-20 turret lathes (2010 vintage) that were consignment machines to Vincennes University.

Orignal list at $121k, they want $44k for each one.
You'd really want one of those ? Not me.

I'd be grabbing an old 10CU or 12CU with a swingup and putting the money into reconditioning and a new control. Now THAT is a lathe !

From what I read here about 10 year old Haas machines, that doesn't look like a bargain to me. I also don't get how school machines would be a selling point. The excessive crashing probably makes up for the low run hours and then some.

I have been in education for many years. Was in charge of buying lots of equipment over the years. Most school shop stuff has lower hours than most comparable machines but you have to look carefully for damage from inexperienced operators. I have no direct knowledge of the conditon of either of those machines, but for years VU was a Haas training site partner and I've heard Haas took good care of maintenance, etc.

We have two Haas machines of about that vintage in our shop and they have been solid performers. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one that age after inspection.

If you don't like Haas that's fine. When I was teaching and buying equipment we ALWAYS tried to but American, something I would think the people here would approve of. And Haas is it in CNC machines so that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back