What's new
What's new

over ride speed/feed rate on swiss lathe (citizen)

anyone familiar with citizen lathes know how to over ride or enable the speed/feed rate to be able to go over 100%? The citizen I'm running on won't increase above 100% right now. Any help would be great.

I gotta ask, why do you want to bump the feedrate over 100% with a dial and not change the program if you need to up the feedrate?

In short, you are not going to be able to just turn the knob past 100% to up the feedrate (number of reasons for that)....

If you are just running a program without material you have a "highspeed check" function unless you have something that is really old like pre-2000's.

I gotta ask, why do you want to bump the feedrate over 100% with a dial and not change the program if you need to up the feedrate?

In short, you are not going to be able to just turn the knob past 100% to up the feedrate (number of reasons for that)....

If you are just running a program without material you have a "highspeed check" function unless you have something that is really old like pre-2000's.

And those are???

Well these are already proven programs and changing them at my work would be a big no no. Then id have to change everything back before the next shift takes over. I thought maybe there was a simple gcode or something i could add or delete somewhere.

Hi Zerotolerance523:
Why do you want to do this?
Are these "proven programs" unsatisfactory somehow?

In order to judge whether it's safe to even attempt this, there are some things you need to be very aware of.
Probably the most important one is tool timing if there are ops going on on both the main and the sub or if there are multiple tools in the cut.
If there are, you will have a big problem if you indiscriminately jack around with the speeds and feeds.

Similarly if you indiscriminately jigger speeds and feeds, tool life, part finishes and part dimensions will all suffer, unless the original programmers were totally clueless.

Trying to look good by upping your part count per shift this way is going to hurt big time if you booger a machine or fuck up a whole shift worth of parts. (I'm guessing something like that is your motive??)

The naive nature of your question about just adding "a simple Gcode or something" leads me to believe you're not really ready to dive in here with any confidence of success; so I'd keep my mitts off lest your jiggering smashfucks something expensive or makes lots of scrap!!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Well, if they're proven programs and you're not supposed to change them... I wouldn't.

Haven't you ever played the make more parts than the guy you follow game? Back many decades ago before self employment I hated the guy I followed. He was an ass kissing to the owner back stabbing politician. He was on days I was on nights and the owner did not stay onto the night shift. Anyway what this guy would typically do he would put all 12 tools in a set-up without one of them set and tell the owner the machine was ready to run a first part, making it look like it was almost ready to go and wasn't. So the next day I have to hear "What took so long to get that running?"

I was way more skilled than this a-hole I followed. So what I did was start running the machines at 110%+ to make more parts. On the machines I was running you could alter the override settings with parameters, you could make all positions over 100% only do 100% or make position 100% do 150%. After using it I would take all of one minute to disable the override so even if the guy thought of using it would do nothing. The other guys on his shift hated him also, so they fed me all the stories of how I was driving him crazy. He would look at my part count on the job sheet and go in to a tirade. He actually was coming to work early and not clocking in working for free, working though breaks and lunch and still falling short of my production and hearing it from the owner on a daily basis. Him and I were considered the top two so we got the harder jobs, I could also use manual machines to save bad parts, the other guy didn't do that either. That guy was working over an extra hour a day for free, and was killing himself, while I was cruising and even cleaning up early and taking long dinner breaks.

Hold on, just looked at your location... You better not be on my shop floor messing with my programs...

Haven't you ever played the make more parts than the guy you follow game? Back many decades ago before self employment I hated the guy I followed. He was an ass kissing to the owner back stabbing politician. He was on days I was on nights and the owner did not stay onto the night shift. Anyway what this guy would typically do he would put all 12 tools in a set-up without one of them set and tell the owner the machine was ready to run a first part, making it look like it was almost ready to go and wasn't. So the next day I have to hear "What took so long to get that running?"

I was way more skilled than this a-hole I followed. So what I did was start running the machines at 110%+ to make more parts. On the machines I was running you could alter the override settings with parameters, you could make all positions over 100% only do 100% or make position 100% do 150%. After using it I would take all of one minute to disable the override so even if the guy thought of using it would do nothing. The other guys on his shift hated him also, so they fed me all the stories of how I was driving him crazy. He would look at my part count on the job sheet and go in to a tirade. He actually was coming to work early and not clocking in working for free, working though breaks and lunch and still falling short of my production and hearing it from the owner on a daily basis. Him and I were considered the top two so we got the harder jobs, I could also use manual machines to save bad parts, the other guy didn't do that either. That guy was working over an extra hour a day for free, and was killing himself, while I was cruising and even cleaning up early and taking long dinner breaks.

Ha!Ha!...

Absolutely! I remember this very well! It was the very first thing I tthought of when I first read the OP. I could wrote your post almost word for word as I had a very similar experience myself. I worked that sumbitch to death also.:D

Brent

Thanks for the guys that understand. And all you others are just up tight assholes. But i guess no one knows how. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for the guys that understand. And all you others are just up tight assholes. But i guess no one knows how. Thanks anyway.

You never say and just for curiously sake what was your intentions? Witch guys understand? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I bet your company has done something in the control to prevent this very thing from happening. Like disabled the overrides from going over 100 percent?

If you have the key edit the program then change it back. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Brent

maybe it is simply NOT POSSIBLE... as in the control will not allow it....

or maybe no one wants to tell you :crazy:

okokok i'll stop jerking you around... but seriously all machines in the southeast US have the feedrates locked to not go over 100% and have the games and internet disabled. the citizen distributors just got way too many complaints from their customers about operators and managers running around trying to improve productivity but in reality the end result was alot of dollars being stepped over in order to pick up a penny...

Zerotolerance wrote:
"Thanks for the guys that understand. And all you others are just up tight assholes."

Go for it buddy!!
Don't forget to poke around in the parameters to see if you can free up the locked feedrate override, but ya gotta learn how to unlock the parameters first.
The Fanuc manual will tell you how.

Be sure to send videos once you figure it out.
I'm sure we all want to watch!
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
but seriously all machines in the southeast US have the feedrates locked to not go over 100%

If this is true that is about the stupidest thing I have heard, if it can't be put back with a parameter change I would have a screaming fit at the machine builder. I would assume from the factory the feed override switch should work as intended. I am out of the loop, self employed since 1996 and all my machinery is 15 years old or older so I don't know what is going on with new machines. I use the spindle and feed override almost on a daily basis. I am constantly looking for the magic balance between productivity and tool wear. The override switches are a lot quicker and easier than altering a program, I will write notes down during a run then update the programmed feed and speeds after the job is done. You don't know what the limits are till you push them, recommended feeds and speeds are nothing but a reference point to start from.

Back