What's new
What's new

Opinions on Tsugami NP-32 Swiss Lathe?

Volitan

Hot Rolled
Anyone have an opinion on these? My boss is looking at one and we are pretty inexperienced with swiss lathes. We have one old Nomura the we like but this Tsugami is bigger.

I don't know how old your Nomura is but if it is as old as I think, the Tsugami should be an upgrade, which you will like. However, it is still an antique by most standards, and although I have ran them before I would never want to go back to them. The equipment available today is much easier to work with, more accurate, capable, and way faster.

They do make a nice "dedicated" machine, though. It just isn't as quick and easy to set up like newer machines are. :)

The machines I ran did not have it, but I would think it was an available option for those machines. You could ask someone at REM Sales about that.

Volitan,

If the machine is really a '98 or '99 then it will have a Fanuc 18 control. The NP series was built from about 1987 to around 99 or 2000. The older machines had two six station turrets and either a 10T or 0T single path control with a PMC for the sub spindle. Later models had dual 8 station turrets and either the 0TTC or 18T dual path control.

The headstock rides on box ways. The guide bushing is gear driven off of the headstock. The main spindle is a 10 horse belt drive. The cross slides are combination box/dovetail ways. On later models both the front and rear turrets can accept live tools. The rear turret has more power than the front. Neither turret has Y or Z-axis travel.

They were heavy robust machines and very reliable.

Tool breakage detection was optional with drill breakage, cross tool, and cut off tool breakage detection available.

Hopefully you're getting a low hour creampuff, but a lot of these were sold into 24/7 production.

Live Tooling?

Anyone know the max RPM for the live tooling?

Was Live tooling a standard feature?
Or an option?

All tools on the same turret run at the same time?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

only real thing I would like to have on my ksi sqc32 is more cohones on the main cross working spindles, if you use a woodruff style cutter its pretty easy to stall them if you are used to hmc's and vmc's. So ask that question, and probably they mean whatever they say for max drilling diameter on live endworking tools for the sub.... I push the stated diameters on the ksi but you have to keep your tools real sharp.

For the most part swiss is not bad to deal with....no worse than a hmc to me.

Anybody remember these things?

Hellooo.... ???

I found the max RPM listed as 4750.

Still don't know if it is "all live" or just the tool in position is live?
My $ is on "all", but ...

Would anyone know if the live tools are still available (without me calling them) and if they are decent quality?

Just looking as a tooling option to use these turrets on a nother machine is all.
Not interested in the whole lathe.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I can't say about the NP32 but I ran a couple of NP16s. They were 93/94 I think. All tools driven off one gear so yes they all spun at the same time. Live tools were still available in 2002. On the NP16s I ran the live tool motor used step pullies so you had to pick a speed for that turret and that was it. Different style live holders had different gearing if needed. No reverse on the live toys either. I would imagine though that the live tool drive system say regular upgrades as tech. progressed.

Hmm?

They musta just been using a 3 phase motor instead of a servo motor. ???
But even that would have offered reverse... ???

Too cheap to install a reversable motor starter?

So - you couldn't cross tap then?
(Or if you did - you couldn't back it out?)

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!|
Ox

Correct no servos, at least not on those era machines. Now that I think about it I think they were dual speed motors and I think had reverse but those were all turned on/off by seperate M codes and I know that the speed was not programmable it was set off the pulleys. Again scratching my head to remember but I think the reverse was more because of gearing the live tools, they didn't all spin the same direction. They offered more than just drills though. Had double drills, slitting saws, over the top milling (took two stations) and probably some more. I think I have pictures somewhere but I can't find them.

I have a 1986 Tsugami chucker in my shop that has live toys. It uses clutches and pulleys to give 4 speeds that each have their on M code. No reverse on this machine. BUT I can and do tap on it. They took the guts of a tapmatic head and mounted them in a live toy. Maybe a bit slow and touchy to setup but it works.

Found this pic on the web:
IMG_2074 (Copia)_1.JPG
http://www.vepverga.com/dbase/display.php4?num=62
Again this is an NP16. The live tool motor is just to right of the firewall and above that group of hydraulic lines. The plate the motor is on pivots, pivot point on spindle side of the plate, so you can change the belt. Makes for a lot of stuff sitting on the X ways of that little turret. Every face was live on the ones I ran, you can see the PTO holes on the turrets. Again I would figure that the live tool configuration saw some changes along the way I'd make sure you know what you are getting with your parts machine.

Well, your endwerking and cross werking units will require opposite motor direction doo to bevel gears inside.

They must have run out of axis of control on the old controls for them to not put servo motors on them instead of this cluster?

Is this pic a mirror image?
All the other pics/vids I have seen of them had the drives on the left and the tool zone on the right.
???

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The other Tsugami swiss at the shop feed stock from the left same as most other lathes. The NP32s I've seen pictures of feed from the left too. The NP16s I ran fed from the right just like the pic, not a clue why. Those NP16s were running an OTTC but not the alpha variant that was on the other swiss that had servo live tools. Maybe that was a difference? They did just have a v-belt on the live tool motor, wasn't a timing belt so that may help when looking.

On my Tsugami chucker the cross tools have a gear in the train to get proper direction without reversing the motor.

Need backup parameter and dignose Np16

Hello sir we need backup parameter and dignose for tsugami Np16 sub spindle with fanuc ottc controllers
Please help me in this matter thanks
My email [email protected]
Mob and app 00923316137430

Hi timD i need backup parameter and dignose for Np16 with subspindle fanuc ottc cotrol

Back