What's new
What's new

Part counting problems

csmith

Plastic
I recently purchased a used turning center with Fanuc 18-T control. The problem is that the only the anolog parts counter is working (the one on the conrol panel). I run this machine in a bar feeder form and need to use the "parts required" field to stop the machine at specified qty. Also none of the "timers" (i.e. Power on time, cutting time, cycle time) are showing any progression while the machine is running. The date and time are current and working properly. I have checked parameters 6700 and 6710 to ensure that a specified m code is not needed, while looking at the above parameters I set them up to use either M02 or M30. Any thoughts as to how the entire timer system could be turned off on the conrol?

If you want to run a specific number of parts you need to put a M99 at the end of program. Also need a M98 at the biggining.
Needs to look like this.

M98 P1000 L20 (The L is Looping the program around 20 times)
N1000 (this is the sub program call)
Start Program

End Of program.
M99
About the Parts counter. If your running a bar feeder. You probable have a M99 at the end of the program to start program over. It has to read the m30 for it to count a part. Same with cycle time. It dosnt restart until it reads M30

try putting this in your program every time it is read it will bump up the parts counter on the screen then you be able to set a limit and run to it
#3901=#3901+1

Last edited:
You shouldn't need any horoic actions to make the counter work on an 18t. (Not need macros)

Must still be a param messed up eh?

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

All thank you for the suggestions, but as Ox mentions this is a parameter problem. I have ran this program on another turning center for 12+ yrs (Fanuc 0-T) without any issues. This "new to me" machine does activate a parts count even on a single run program (ending with M30). What I find odd is that none of the timers (power on time, operating time, cutting time or cycle time) are functioning either. This tells me that somehow the timers and digital parts counting have been disabled.
And just to ease everyones mind, I am currently working with Fanuc on this as well, but not getting very far. Thought I would get the rest of the world involved to see if we could get anywhere with this problem on our own.

Tom I absolutely agree. Any ideas on how to turn it back on. The reason I say back on is that the "parts count total" is at 501, telling me that it was on at some point. I'm thinking that it was turned off so that the machine could not tattle tell on its previous operator.
Correction from previous response
This "new to me" machine does not activate a parts count even on a single run program (ending with M30).

Look it up in the parameter manual. You can set an mcode that will increment the parts counter. Could be m30 or whatever. Then you can set the increment. Then you just need a if statement at the end to shut it down when you reach the provided amount.

Husker

I've worked on some Fanuc 16/18/21 series controls that needed a user-defined M-code to advance the counter. Look at parameters 6071 to 6089, and note any M-code numbers you don't already know and use. Write down what they are, and relate the parameter number to a "9000" series program as follows:

6071 = 9001
6072 = 9002
6089 = 9029

What that means is that whatever M-code value shows in a given 6071-6089 parameter, the 9000-series macro program associated for it will run when that Mxxxx is executed.

If your "9000" series programs aren't visible to you, unlock the PWE (parameter write enable) setting and set parameter 3202.4 (NE9) to "0", go back and disable PWE, reset. YOu can now look at and;or edit the 9000 series macro programs. Don't edit them!!

Look through any or all suspect 9001 to 9029 macro programs and look for any that use calculations or substitutions for system variable numbers #3901 and #3902. Those are the system variables for Number Of Parts Machined and Number Of Parts Required (in that order.) You may have to look into EVERY 9000-series program to find the G-code or M-code that uses the #3901 and #3902 system variables.

If you can't find anything, make your OWN M-code. Set some number into one of the 6071-6089 parameters, then write your own macro 9000 program associated with your chosen parameter. Simple enough to write, I or someone else can help you.

When done looking at the 9000 series macro programs, go back and set parameter number 3202.4 NE9 back to 1.

Take a look at param 9927 bit 4 or use the following:

O1234
#500=20. (sets parts required to 20)

all moves to machine part

#501=#501+1(part count up)
IF[#501GE#500]GOTO1000(jump to alarm when #501 greater than or equal to#500)
M99(loop back to beginning if #501 is not equal to to #500)
N1000#501=0(reset counter to 0)
#3001=1(PARTS COUNT DONE) (alarm machine)
M30

If you elect to use the above macro commands you will need to set variable #501 to zero before you cycle the program. In this case the program will cycle 20 times and then alarm out with the message "PARTS COUNT DONE", this is cleared by pressing reset.

Hey guys got it fixed! Wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied with ideas and suggestions. Ended up being a "unmentionable" parameter, Fanuc took a while but finally came through.

Glad you got it fixed but just to chime in we use...

/M30 (end program)
M54 ( part counter +1)
M99 ( restart program)
%

at the end of our programs.

You can turn block skip on to run in continuous mode.

Or turn it off to run one part. Your parts counter will still work either way.

Also having this issue. New to me 18t control. Nothing changes in the parts count. I can change the current time, no problem. But that's it. Really need to see total parts count and cycle time. Cycle time is not shown on the POS screen at all.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to Tom (posted on sept. 23, 2011) this work really good ! Only snall issue is we can't see the part counter go up but hey, it get the job done !

Back