What's new
What's new

Part off tools: What's working for you?

aj

Hot Rolled
Good morning gents.

We've been running Manchester/Widia part off tools for over a decade with great results but we've been told they're being discontinued.

I wanted to ask the group if you have something you're fond of. Our big 'stickler' is a job we're running right now: 2 1/4" 303 stainless. Our salesman brought us a Seco part off tool but the thing screams like it's being tortured and we only get around 80 parts per cutting edge before it fails and takes the holder with it. The Seco rep even came in to try and help, but just made things worse.

So if you have something you're happy with and you're willing to share, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks guys.

Another vote for Iscar, all my parting tools even down to the ones I put in my small Swiss machine are made by Iscar. They are on the expensive end, but worth every penny.

We are running a promo on the new Iscar Tang F Grip blade and adapters. Buy 20 inserts get free blade which they call the adapter. Buy 20 inserts get free block. Same deal on the Do F Grip. PM me if interested.

Our Kennametal Distributor had us try the their "Beyond Evolution" cut-off line. When the holder is plumbed, it gets the coolant right to the insert. I went from an average of 300 parts with the widia to 3000 parts before significant wear with the beyond in 303 Stainless with a 1.25" diameter. It worked really well. I cut the count down to 2000 to be on the safe side.

Our Kennametal Distributor had us try the their "Beyond Evolution" cut-off line. When the holder is plumbed, it gets the coolant right to the insert. I went from an average of 300 parts with the widia to 3000 parts before significant wear with the beyond in 303 Stainless with a 1.25" diameter. It worked really well. I cut the count down to 2000 to be on the safe side.
1.25 diameter 303 and 3000 part off....this I'd like to see. I don't know of anyone getting 3000 part offs in any steel let alone stainless.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1.25 diameter 303 and 3000 part off....this I'd like to see. I don't know of anyone getting 3000 part offs in any steel let alone stainless.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't know... those holders with thru coolant to the insert are a big deal for tool life IMO.

Does this only work with high pressure coolant?

Does this only work with high pressure coolant?

No, but the more pressure, the better.

Two big benefits to the coolant-thru part-off blades. For cutting edge cooling, the under-side jet provides the biggest benefit. The lower jet (spraying upwards toward the cutting zone) actually does more to cool the cutting zone than the other jets.

The upper jet, does more for leveraging the chip away from the insert, leading to better chip evacuation, and therefore less heat-soaking near the cutting zone.

Good morning gents.

We've been running Manchester/Widia part off tools for over a decade with great results but we've been told they're being discontinued.

I wanted to ask the group if you have something you're fond of. Our big 'stickler' is a job we're running right now: 2 1/4" 303 stainless. Our salesman brought us a Seco part off tool but the thing screams like it's being tortured and we only get around 80 parts per cutting edge before it fails and takes the holder with it. The Seco rep even came in to try and help, but just made things worse.

So if you have something you're happy with and you're willing to share, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks guys.

FWIW, we use Iscar's Tang-Grip in 303 with a J chipbreaker and IC908 coating. It has a shrill shriek as it cuts but we're running .008 IPR............

Works great.

Good morning gents.

Thanks guys.

I'm a little curious why the Seco didnt' work as well. Makes me think that maybe...

1- the toolholder wasn't straight to the X-axis. (Might not be the case if your previous tools ran OK, and didn't show any signs of the side of the blade wearing prematurely, or a wandering cut...)

2- Maybe the wrong chip-breaker? Their 150.10 inserts have a few chip-breakers - perhaps they selected too "tough" of an insert, maybe not enough feed, or built-up-edge perhaps, being stainless?

Either way, the Iscar part-off tools work great. If the Seco folk can't figure out how to make it work well, you won't really find a "better" part-off tool than the Iscar.

Either way, the Iscar part-off tools work great. If the Seco folk can't figure out how to make it work well, you won't really find a "better" part-off tool than the Iscar.

Coming from a former Seco salesman, that means a lot.......... ;)

On the other side of the coin, Iscar finishing inserts get kicked by Seco.

...We've been running Manchester/Widia part off tools for over a decade with great results but we've been told they're being discontinued.
What width do you use?

These were discontinued about 7 or 8 years ago I think. Kennametal couldn't supply me, I bought from carbide depot until they were cleaned out. Since then I've been getting inserts off ebay.

I just cleaned out a seller for more than 100 inserts at a little over $5 ea. I use .094, but he has a bunch of sizes left that I don't use.

I like these too, I had assumed I was going to have to switch to something else until another member alerted me to the ebay guy...

I'm a little curious why the Seco didnt' work as well. Makes me think that maybe...

The Seco wasn't even close. We're getting 800+ parts per edge with the Manchester and we're struggling to get to 100 with the Seco. Don't know if it makes that much difference but the Manchester is 0.125 wide and the Seco is 0.160. It doesn't seem like that much, but I did a little quick math on one of our long running jobs (138,000 pieces) and the difference between part-off width is going to cost us 33 more bars next time we run it.

The Seco rep is supposed to be here Monday with "the fix", so we'll see.

Has anyone tried the Y-Axis parting from Sandvik?
Looks pretty good.
I'm thinking about giving it a try.

The Seco wasn't even close. We're getting 800+ parts per edge with the Manchester and we're struggling to get to 100 with the Seco. Don't know if it makes that much difference but the Manchester is 0.125 wide and the Seco is 0.160. It doesn't seem like that much, but I did a little quick math on one of our long running jobs (138,000 pieces) and the difference between part-off width is going to cost us 33 more bars next time we run it.

The Seco rep is supposed to be here Monday with "the fix", so we'll see.

How the heck to get out of bed knowing you have a job with 138,000 pieces? :eek:

Yuck! :ack2:

Back