What's new
What's new

Parting hypodermic needle Opinions Wanted

LockTech

Plastic
We have a product that uses a decent amount of 13HV hypodermic needle which is .095OD and .064ID 316-stainless. Currently we use a Kyocera tkf12r100-s-16dr insert which does make the process do-able. However the inserts are very delicate with the speeds and feeds. I do realize they could be ordered from the supplier already cut to length however since we have other operations to do to them, loading a 2in. piece one at a time is not practical.

My question is, does anyone out there see a better alternative or technique to parting these off on a cnc lathe?

Thanks in advance

Keith

One could probably use some form of diamond saw and a spindle, even as an extra rigidly mounted tool not on the turret.
Lapidary suppliers et al have saws.

The process would probably take seconds, leave no kerf, have near zero tool pressure, and with mist have near-zero residue.
Saws should last hundreds to thousands of cuts.

A Nakanishi NSK spindle is the cats meow, but literally anything should work, to try it.

One could probably use some form of diamond saw and a spindle, even as an extra rigidly mounted tool not on the turret.
Lapidary suppliers et al have saws.

The process would probably take seconds, leave no kerf, have near zero tool pressure, and with mist have near-zero residue.
Saws should last hundreds to thousands of cuts.

A Nakanishi NSK spindle is the cats meow, but literally anything should work, to try it.

We had a similar setup on a different machine, basically to give it live tooling. Definitely might be worth rigging up similar and using saw blades as you mention.

For those that suggested saw blades, are there any speed and feed type calculators that would take into account the saw blade turning as well a the spindle? Or am I correct in assuming the spindle(tubing) turns very slow just to minimize burrs on the OD while the saw has the main rpms?

We have a product that uses a decent amount of 13HV hypodermic needle which is .095OD and .064ID 316-stainless. Currently we use a Kyocera tkf12r100-s-16dr insert which does make the process do-able. However the inserts are very delicate with the speeds and feeds. I do realize they could be ordered from the supplier already cut to length however since we have other operations to do to them, loading a 2in. piece one at a time is not practical.

My question is, does anyone out there see a better alternative or technique to parting these off on a cnc lathe?

Thanks in advance

Keith

I been using these tools on my Citizen and Miyano for cutting off and threading small screws 303 and thin tubing 304. starts about page 12.
with the cut off we get almost zero tit on solids and a extreamly small inside burr with tubing no crushing. .047 wide is the biggest I use . They last 1000's of parts and no grinding needed.

Richlin Machinery, Inc
OmniTurn CNC Lathes, Gang Tooling, Replacement Parts, Left hand turning tool

starts about page 12 6mm style is what I use
catalog

the thin bit also works really well just dont last as long as the coated tools from above. thing bits I regrind to .015 wide for cut off and .008 for grining.

2 and 3 seried top locks. top notches work out but you have to regring the .031 wide ones down to .020 or less for thin wall tubing and hit the cutting edge to make is Sharp with no rads

Well, on 3/32 tube, I don't think you need to worry about it, but I would prolly set my spindle to a speed low enough to keep whip at a min.
Ask the saw mgr's, but just shooting from the hip - I would think maybe 800 rpm?
It could really be about anything tho ...

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,

Thanks for the suggestions, we do have Radial live tooling but not Axial. I think we could rig up something to use as axial. I'll check those links out, Thx

You can also use a teeny tiny Endmill in your holder, just run the Main Spindle at the same time. Problem is getting the holder close enough.

R

At that diameter, and at that 20:1 L to D ratio, parting off requires subspindle support and excellent concentricity on both the main and the sub, i.e. collet chucks.

What does your current setup look like? What kind of machine?

I think this part would be at home on 12mm or smaller Swiss lathe.

You can also use a teeny tiny Endmill in your holder, just run the Main Spindle at the same time. Problem is getting the holder close enough.

R

I *think* I know what you are saying... Wouldn't using a small (relative here- 1/16" 1/32" ?) not work so well with limited rpm on a live tool setup? I don't really know, I am asking.

I *think* I know what you are saying... Wouldn't using a small (relative here- 1/16" 1/32" ?) not work so well with limited rpm on a live tool setup? I don't really know, I am asking.

It is not optimal. But your Main is running too, so you end up with roughly 65 SFM with 4k on each, using a 1/32" Endmill. But it's a pretty stable Op.

R

It is not optimal. But your Main is running too, so you end up with roughly 65 SFM with 4k on each, using a 1/32" Endmill. But it's a pretty stable Op.

R

Obviously the only way that you would ever use a tiny endmill would be in a cross werking application, and at that point S1 is nothing but "feedrate".

Same as grinding a pin in the whirly-gig in the surface grinder.
The faster you spin it - the higher the feedrate.

I don't see this as going well. :confused:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back