What's new
What's new

Parting out a CNC router. Weeke BP 12 , 1995 machine. Worth the hassle?

Scruffy887

Titanium
Anybody ever done it with any success? Water cooled 12 hp 18k spindle with drive, servos with drives, ball screws with nuts, linear guides, etc? 42 x 109 working area with 6 tool magazine.
It has a 10 hp rotary vane Becker vacuum pump too, but I may keep that.
Or just drag it out the door and let the CNC vultures have at it?

the pump and spindle are the big ticket items i'd snag everything else that is small off of it electrical wise stuff that doesn't take up space and can sit up on a shelf for awhile. the rest i wouldn't spend the time on. spend a couple hours take the major goods off and send the frame off to the scrap yard.

Why is it being scrapped ?
If because it's worn out, then all those parts are worn out as well.

Why is it being scrapped ?
If because it's worn out, then all those parts are worn out as well.
For the most part this thing is built like a tank, lot more steel than newer machines. All THK linear bearings too.
Some of the tiny air hoses for the gang drills split open and I started to replace them in 2013. Machine was not needed so it sat idle. It would power up but the air leak threw a low pressure alarm and the axis could not be moved.
But last week I powered it up and the PC was not able to communicate with the NUM controller.
The "industrial" PC on the front end died about 12 years ago and Stiles wanted $14,000.00 to replace it. I had an old Dell with a real serial port kicking around so I removed the hard drive from the Weeke PC and installed it in the Dell. Powered right up and we went back to work.
If somebody wanted to build a router then this one is already built, just needs the control fixed. I want the space back because I have no use for this machine, new machines coming.

On the PC front, new industrial computers are easily available with your choice of processors, OS, and more real serial ports than you can shake a stick at.

I bought a couple to replace ageing DOS laptops for my (non-machining, real-DOS-requiring) business, and they are pretty bulletproof. Plus they have DOS versions that support USB devices, solid-state drives, and other more modern peripherals. EMAC in Carondale IN was who I bought from. There are of course many others.

Depends how much your times worth. Unless you get lucky and someone needs an exact replacement, you're only going to be selling to folks building there own. But most of those parts (and the spindle) are really too big to a DIYer. You might be able to sell the Y and Z axis screws and bearings to someone to use. Might also find someone with eyes to big for their project. You'll likely only get pennies on the dollar though.

Wouldn't hurt to list it over on one of those other forums and see if you get any interest.

I'd just advertise the whole thing for a steal of a deal. I think you'll do better financially and get rid of it quicker. Someone with more time than money could fix it, convert it, whatever.

I think the only time it's worth parting out is when the scrap value and electronics are high and significantly more than you can get for it whole.

A routers only worth a few hundred in scrap so it's a sell it for whatever you can get deal.

I parted one out about 10 years ago, it was free, they just wanted it gone. The controls sold fast, the motors not so fast, think there is still one sitting on the shelf, plus a few other misc parts. Remainder was made into rebar.

Officially that is called a "Point to Point" machine and not really meant as a CNC router. Does it have sliding clamp tables ? Best for boring, sawing and such. Probably can rout contours but that's not really it's main purpose.

Officially that is called a "Point to Point" machine and not really meant as a CNC router. Does it have sliding clamp tables ? Best for boring, sawing and such. Probably can rout contours but that's not really it's main purpose.

Many here may not know what a point to point is so I called it a router. It is a point to point pod and rail machine and its strong points are fast accurate frameless cabinet part production. But I have cut 1.5" maple butcher block parts on it with a .75 diamond compression spiral bit. Liquid cooled 30 taper spindle has 12hp. For sure we did rout a lot of contours in particle board, MDF, Baltic Birch ply, Corian, even 1" phenolic plate.

I have PM'd the OP several times expressing my interest in buying this machine, but have only heard 'crickets'. I assume that means other avenues have been explored, but it would be nice to have even a short reply to my question about purchasing this thing.:(

Stuart

But most of those parts (and the spindle) are really too big to a DIYer.

Thats a very important point here.

I bought my Fadal 4020 for 75% less then seller originally wanted because it had a DIY control that was less then half finished. I knew that no normal machine shop would ever touch a machine with a homemade controller that wasnt finished, and no DIYer would want a 4020 sized machine.

Sigh. Machine needs a home and shipping across country is pricey, as I thought. It is still inside and will remain so until snow removal is not an issue. Kinda sad but once outside either a rigger takes the whole thing for scrap, or I get the gas ax out and a local scrappy guy will take pickup size parts.

In about a week this machine will be stripped of a few things and out it goes. The control cabinet and 10hp Becker vacuum pump will stay for sure, may remove the servos. X ball screw appears to be 40mm and about 12 feet long, has a powered nut that drives X axis. The 8 rails are all aluminum and they have a unique ball bushing assembly they ride on. It is a fairly long double bushing with an air released brake between them. May have a use for those.

Back